Anyone bored with games these days

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by sounar, Apr 12, 2013.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    you're old :p

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I typically go through phases of enjoying games then going off them, which usually gives me a chance to catch up on my other hobbies such as reading and watching BDs. I always return back to them though, although as I get older (I'm 46), I'm finding myself becoming less and less interested in most games and I suspect it is only a matter of time before I tire of them completely. That's why I only intend buying a PS4, keeping my PS3 (for backwards compatibility) and having a PC in the forseeable future for gaming, rather than owning all the major platforms as I've normally done.

I'm currently in the "bit bored of games" phase having finished Tomb Raider and BioShock Infinite recently, both of which were great I'll admit and I thoroughly enjoyed them. However, I tend to get bored of games very quickly and don't tend to finish the majority of them, which is perhaps an indication that my interest is waning and I've never been remotely keen on social or online gaming. I've already packed up my Wii and Xbox 360 ready to be sold over the next few weeks.

3. benji[no]

benji[no] Guest

GPU:
    Gainward 550ti
    41 is not old! The statistics show that the average game-player is 25-35yrs old.

Met lot of ppl(50+) and whole families playing WoW. Go get yourself a NES/SNES emulator or buy old games(GoG).

I got loads of time to kill and try by playing and yes the most it's repetitive, but some make new games.

MMORPG is/was the greatest, but I gave up WoW after the first expansion.

I suggest SimCity 5(but it's filled with bugs), try SimCity 4!

Sometimes I feel very old when there are only 10y old children playing mp on Xbox360.

Some games(either PC or console or both):
    Trine 2
    Deathspank
    Bastion
    Red Dead Redeption
    L.A Noir
    The Witcher 2

Dunno atm what more games there are to play.

Just bought Skyrim(waiting for key), tried it at a friend, when it was released and it bliiiiped, but now it's time. It's scary because it'll get me addicted.

4. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Probably you're right. Most fan while gaming I had in 80's with C-64, games on tapes and 5.25" disks, still have it. I remember the times when my brother, me and few of our friends from neighbourhood were playing on C-64 in hot summer days for 10, 15 or more hours while cooling his AC/DC adapter with bags full of ice. And it was hell of a fun backthen! We were satisfied with simple graphics, 8 sprites on screen and few colours. Turrican 1/2/3, The Last Ninja series, Samurai Warrior, One on One, Defender of the Crown... Few years later it was fun gaming on Amiga 500 512KB (+ 512KB expansion card later) and in late 90's with first real 3D accelerator cards like 3DFx Voodoo 1 & 2.
    Is it just me or games in past 10 years are more and more losing their "souls", programers have no more fresh ideas or just new gamer-kids don't care about story in game: just give them new new GTA every few years and they will bi happy like pigs in mud... Now everything is about shiny graphic and impressive visuals effects but when you scratch a bit under the surface there is almost nothing in huge amount of games that could keep our attention more than few hours in front of the screen.
    Right now I rarely buy games just for myself, last game I bought was Crysis 3 Hunter Edition in retail box, before that Crysis 2 Maximum Edition via Steam, Battlefield 3 Limited Edition in retail box, Crysis 2 retail box... But last few weeks I'm playing just Crysis 2 Multiplayer in late hours with few of my friends... Crysis 2 multiplayer community is getting smaller and smaller day by day but C2 multiplayer is still fun for me and my friends to play, even if we often stumble on cheaters.
    On the other hand my kids don't lack of new games, it's fun for me to watch my sons (one is almost 6, other 11.5 y.o.) while playing games like they are born with them. Sometimes I find myself hypnotised watching them while playing on their rigs at insane speed, honestly I don't remember I was that fast in games when I was in their age. They don't care much about quality ("soul") in games they play as long as game is fast and furious and has a great graphic, probably because they don't know for better. Maybe now it's a time to clean dust from my C-64 and show them how fun games can be without all those nice graphic and effects...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    they're not losing their soul. It's just that we have played it all over and over too many times.

6. ibitato

ibitato Guest

I moved a lot of my gaming time to old gems or indie titles
    try drox opertative
    din's course
    as well as many many others
    modern games Im picking them cheap, and playing them from time to time
    I switch a lot from one game/genre to other

7. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

Here and there we can always find an exception, game that can entertains us much more than other games, but these days (of course, looking from my perspective as a quite "old" gamer, almost 39 y.o.) what number we are talking about: 1 in 20, 1 in 50, 1 in 100 games?

Today gamers breed is quite different than gamers 20, 25 or more years ago. Faster generations grown up on lastest technologies. Maybe because of that game programers are making games to satisfy their need (for speed and chaos), not ours...

Few days ago as a huge BioShock fan I've bought BioShock Infinite, not for me but for my older 11.5 y.o. son. After I've installed game on his rig I've invited him so we could watch intro at the front of the game and play together first few hours of the game. Result from the first few minutes of intro: "...dad, this intro is boring, when will I start to play this game...". Me: "...patience my son, this game is something special...". He played first few hours with me besides him, but he was not so thrilled. After few days: "...dad, this game is awesome! Just look at this, look at that...". :)

8. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    def pick up baldurs gate enhanced version if you havent played...hrs of fun.

p.s i also have one total war+mods installed and am mmo/ftp (like world of tanks/warplanes) to fall back on.

9. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Super bored as i only play Coh1, coh2 beta looks boring aswell so...I would like to play BC2 again but i sold my old key years ago.

10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I am bored of games lately yes, when it comes to new game releases, with few exceptions like Dishonored, Bioshock Infintie, Spec Ops: the Line (soooo underrated). I'm more and single player RPG kind of gamer and with few big releases in this genre I'm a bit pissed but I'm super excited for The Witcher 3, or even some new RPG from Bioware (though I agree they went downhill lately).

But indeed compared to 5 years ago when I was playing WoW for like 10 hours per day I do game a lot less, like 2-3 hours max. I don't think it is because I'm getting old, it's simply the lack of originality and also the stalemate caused by outdated consoles. I genuinely hope that when the new consoles launch a fresh wave of games will come out and if not for new gameplay at least there will be better graphics and more advanced physics.

11. Fel8me

Fel8me Member

GPU:
    2xASUS GTX 660Ti Sli
    The problem with games today is success. The industry has become too successful, profitable and mainstream. There are a hand full of sure fire cash cow formulas that the publishers stick by... for safety. No one is willing to take the risk on something new because development costs on the AAA titles are too high.

The other problem is that this way of thinking keeps getting proven right! Someone comes up with a novel idea, gets the backing from a big publishers and it bombs. Usually because we as consumers are unsure about spending our money on something a bit different, we like safe too.

The indie developers drive the creativity but the consoles drive the market. So the formulas will always win, every part of the entertainment industry suffers from it, music and film have been doing it for years.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Yeah, I've pretty much lost all interest in gaming at this point.

There's been times where I have gotten bored of games and taken a break for a while before playing again, but this time? no...I think I'm done.

The last few AAA games I purchased weren't that great and I don't see anything appealing coming out soon.

13. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Admittedly i'm slightly hyped over Blood Dragon, but that's about it right now.

14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Stop buying the so called AAA titles then, they're all the same. As pointed out there are formulas that publishers stick with - The AAA formula, same stuff over and over, stop buying them simply coz of the hype and start shopping around.

AAA titles are all fps's, no wonder your bored if all you do is play the same games over and over. Thats like playing nothing but the COD series all day everyday, then saying that the gaming industry doesnt innovate, of which it does though you just need to look for it.

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    When I started driving for a living that sort of game lost its appeal quite quickly, unfortunately...

16. RedSeptember

RedSeptember Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 690 4gb
    ARMA 3 alpha is pretty awesome so far.

17. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    I rarely buy new games, I usually play the same games. These days I only play racing sims, sometimes a few other games. The last couple of years I've mainly played flight sims, and Arma. For me multiplayer is what's stopping me from being bored, I don't spend as much time gaming as I used to though.

There are some upcoming games that I'll get for sure:

Star Citizen
    Arma3, well already have the alpha..
    TW Rome 2
    Assetto Corsa
    DCS F-18
    Dayz
    Elite Dangerous

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Count me in on those too.

19. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    I'm not bored. People, in general that is, just need to get out of their comfort zones when it comes to games and try something that is new and/or obscure to them.

20. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Pass whatever you're smoking this way maaaaan.

On a side note, I heard of this place called "outside", kinda interesting. Hope they make a zombie/fps/microtransaction game about it soon!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013