2700k keeps down-clocking when under stress

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by ComputerGeekz, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ComputerGeekz

ComputerGeekz Guest

GPU:
    XFX Double D 7970
    My problem is that when ever I overclock my 27OOk past 4.7ghz the clock will down clock while running IBT. I have all the power saving options off and power options set to high. The temps are maxing out at 65c for the hottest core. it dont happen right away either. Once the temps start getting up around 60c it will start down clocking. Any help would be great.

2. PCTECHTRONICS

PCTECHTRONICS Banned

GPU:
    XFX 7970 H20
  3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Why did you bump his thread, are you the same person?

Op, how are you determining that the speed drops?

4. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I also down clock when stressed or to HOT problem is booting myself back up to full speed wait ............ I never run at full speed where's the remote......?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013

5. ComputerGeekz

ComputerGeekz Guest

GPU:
    XFX Double D 7970
    I bumped the thread because I got no input. I am the same.CPUz,realtemp, are showing a multiplier drop when I overclock passed 4.7 while stress testing even though the temps are good to go. Even with a CS degree I can't seem to get it figured out. So I thought I'd give someone on here a go at it.

4.8 and over
    1.40 to 1.45 volts and higher
    100x48-50

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Only one account per user. Does it only do it with IBT have you duplicated it with prime95.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    try stressing it other ways than ibt as well.

8. ComputerGeekz

ComputerGeekz Guest

GPU:
    XFX Double D 7970
    I have an old account under one name and I forgot my login so I made another then I remembered and signed in by that name instead of the new one. Prime dont stress enough to reproduce the downclocking as it cant get my cpu over 58-60c. When I start hitting 63-65 is when it happens. I know it should do this at high temps but at 63c?? 75-85 c would warrant such a downclock but not 63-65 c. The first thing someone would consider is the power state. Trust me thats not what is happening here.

It would seem that windows active power state is lowering the clock to keep the temps low but it is happening at lower temp then it should. Windows 64bit ult. I have reinstalled already and still the same. I Thought maybe realtemp was off on the temps and maybe it was hitting 80c in reality. I confirmed the temps though realtemp,coretemp,clickbiosII. The temps are the same.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    you'll never stress your cpu enough to make it downclock in real life so I wouldn't worry.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You're probably reading the wrong temp sensor and/or are using the wrong offset for TjMax.
    What are you using to measure temps?

Try Coretemp or Realtemp, they read the right sensors and adjust TjMax correctly.

11. ComputerGeekz

ComputerGeekz Guest

GPU:
    XFX Double D 7970
    I understand but:
    If it is downclocking to ensure stability and it is unstable then it is a problem for me.:bang:

It has to be 100% rock solid for me to sleep at night:)

12. ComputerGeekz

ComputerGeekz Guest

GPU:
    XFX Double D 7970
    Did you read the thread?

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    what's with the attitude? Mufflore is trying to help and what he says makes sense.

14. ComputerGeekz

ComputerGeekz Guest

GPU:
    XFX Double D 7970
    All I asked is if he read the thread.
    It says right above the post that I use realtemp,coretemp and clickbios II. It also says I have a Computer Science degree. It is an insult to suggest I can not read a temperature. So yes, when someone treats me like a moron I get offended. What's next? Are you going to ask if c-state is disabled?
    So far the answers I have got are: "Only one account per user" and "You're probably reading the wrong temp"

If I was looking for answers like this I would have asked a first year tech student at the college. NVM.

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Well this is no way to get any help word of advice throwing a tantrum on a forum does nothing. Now you said you can only get this to happen with IBT not prime95 I would be inclined to say you actually have no real problem but one thing I noticed at the voltages you supplied that i7 is not going to last too long in fact you may have aready borked it. Most users on here don't use IBT for the same reason we don't use fumark it just tortures the hardware instead of simulate a stressed environment if the problem does not happen in prime the I would say there really is no problem with your chip.

16. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Sorted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.