Math anyone?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by sykozis, Apr 9, 2013.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Ok, this is apparently a big debate on Facebook. I've tried this equation in several calculators and all return the same answer. Just as a refresher, I even took the time to actually look up "PEMDAS" also known as Order of Operation, which says that the answer I reach has to be correct....so, here's the equation...

6 ÷ 2(1+2) = ?

Now, according to order of operation, you'd start with the parenthesis, resulting in the equation becoming:

6 ÷ 2(3)

Now, on to the next operation in accordance with order of operation. You'd read the equation from left to right performing multiplication or division based on order within the equation...which then results in

3 x 3 = 9 ...which coincidentally is the answer that all calculators have given me.....including my computer. So, given what we all know about processors....how exactly could this answer be wrong? Did Intel screw up somewhere?

2. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    The answer is 9 if you follow the correct order of operations.

People on Facebook are dumb. People who didn't even finish high school are passing themselves off as the authority on simple equations. Give me a break.

Another common debate on Facebook is 1+1+1+1+1*0. The ignorant masses love to say that the answer is 0.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I always figured, with Intel's experience in processor design, there's no way they could possibly screw up to that extent.

1+1+1+1+1*0 = 4 That one is stupidly easy

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    i believe the equation is written wrong. It should be written something like 6/2(1+2)

6/2(1+2)
    6/2(3)
    2x3=6
    6/6=1

Therefore the answer = 1

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Presenting the equation as 6/2(2+1) changes the equation, but hand written, presents it as a fraction, which still results in an answer of 9. The only way to follow order or operation and arrive at an answer of 1, is to present it as 6 ÷ [2(1+2)] which is yet another equation altogether.

Basically, the equation can appear 1 of 3 ways....

6 ÷ 2(1+2) = 9
    6 ÷ [2(1+2)] = 1
    6/2*(1+2) = 9

The brackets aren't implied by the equation, so the answer can't possibly be 1

6. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+

Thank you.

You can't just add parenthesis and change the order of operations where you see fit.

But anyway- presenting it as 6/2(2+1) still doesn't change anything. Type that in to Google right now and you'll still get 9.

6/2(2+1)
    6/2(3)
    3(3)

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    you guys make my head hurt

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The typical teaching of PEMDAS tells you to perform operations in a specific order.

Parenthesis
    Exponents
    Multiplication or Division (read left to right, in order of occurrence in the equation)
    Addition or Subtraction (read left to right, in order of occurrence in the equation)

Based on the standard method for teaching order of operation, the only possible (correct) result is 9

9. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    When it gets to this step:

6/2(3)

You have to go from left to right. That's why you get:

3(3) which = 9.

10. kiya

kiya Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660 Twin Frozr III
    I agree, especially on the bolded part. :nerd:

BTW.. i was taught in school that division is always performed before multiplication.. Using that i get 9.

We didn't have PEDMAS though. We had BDMAS

Bracket
    Division
    Multiplication
    Addition
    Subtraction

Although that part about left to right wasn't ever taught..

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I know it's wrong, but it's really tempting to do 2(3) before you divide 6 by 2 because of the first order of operations. It's really easy to be like "Oh, there's still some parentheses left, gotta get rid of them".

12. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    not all calculators do. i had a Casio and Sharp calculators when I was still studying, and they do give different answers.

[​IMG]

anyway, the tricky part is after you do (1+2), because the equation then becomes

6/2(3) or 6 / 2 x 3

depending on how you are taught on dealing with parenthesis (whether to remove them, or not, after doing the operations inside it), you would arrive at either forms. personally, i'd use the first one. and since parenthesis also means multiplication, then my answer would be 1 for the whole equation.

edit: and yeah.. i've seen this on blogs and Facebook numerous times, and people would of course not agree if the answer is 1 or 9 (always! .. and they also give ****ty answers that's not 9 or 1 LOL). :)

13. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I hate math. This may be the worst thread ever.

14. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    EDIT: Nevermind!

Am not thinking right at this time. :D

15. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    Both answers are right. That's the actual problem.

It depends on how you do it.. because in math, / and ÷ mean two different ways of working the problem.

Plenty of vids on youtube have people showing you both answers, with both ways of doing the equation.

16. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Nothing ever seemed to go wrong with BODMAS. ;)

17. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+

Not all calculators know how to do the order of operations.

Not tricky at all because they are the exact same thing. And because they are the same you do 6/2 and then multiply that result by 3 (since order of operations goes from left to right when dealing with like terms - multiplications and division are like terms)

You don't multiply 2 by 3 first because the 2 is not inside of the 3's parenthesis.

As for / being different than ÷... I've never heard of that. It's only different if you assume that 6/2(3) = 6/(2*3)... which it does not.

Google results for the supposedly different meanings of / and ÷.

6/2(1+2)

6 ÷ 2(1+2)

Interestingly enough both searches give the same answer. :eek:

And if a / CAN imply that 6 is OVER 2(3) - as in

__6___
    (2*3)

... just why? Why would you want to do something like that? It would make so much more sense to not be ambiguous and include proper parenthesis. Math doesn't like ambiguity.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    With the problem, as stated, only 9 can be correct because you're being told to divide 6 by 2 then multiply by the product of 1 plus 2. 3 x 3 = 9

19. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    the trick is that they're using the division symbol and not /.

when you use it, you can't assume that everything following the division sign is a denominator.

20. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I used to love math in school, its been way too long tho! Answer is 9 for inline. you always do brackets first, then divide is always done before multiplying.

And wouldnt 6/ be something like this?

6/2(1+2)
    6/2(3) = 6/2 * 1/3 or 6/6 = 1