GTA 4 Microstutter.....Need Fix.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by cjs007, Mar 31, 2013.

1. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
    something else i remembered...i used to play this 2 years ago on my old set up with no stuttering...the thing i remembered is back then i had a creative sound card doing the sound calculations so the GPU or CPU didn't have too.....I am running sound from my GPU now..so thats probably not helping..

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  2. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
    ok.......it has been fixed.....nothing above was it......i just didn't have enough memory:O.....6 gigs isn't enough......nor 8.........needed 10.....:banana:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  3. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    The game streams a lot of textures and models so more ram / ram cache is better. I tested the game on a RAMdisk and it was better smooth until main memory ran out - 8 GB total, 4 GB for game, 4 GB for ramdisk.

Found some cheap ram on sale and with a 8 GB ramdisk loading the main island and main set of textures, this game and ARMA 2 ran smoother.

4. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
    Yeh, my PC version GTA 4 runs alot smoother than my PS3 version..

More memory is the answer...

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    so with 10gb there are no more slowdowns (~35ish fps drops) by high speed driving through the city?

6. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
    i was smooth even with high speed driving.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ok, but what was the lowest fps there compared to 8gb?

I didnt get any stutters either @8gb when driving fast only lower fps then lets say when running around

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well i reinstall it again, but now it runs like ****?

I dont have any stutters, also my system ram usage is low ~ 35% out of 8Gb.. I tried that mem restrict command but it made some objects popups, it went away when i deleted commandline.txt, last time i played i was still on 250GTS and it helped a lot.
    Also Im cpu bound most of the time, for some reason any shadow setting gets very VERY cpu limited.. Only V.high makes gpu at 95-99%.

Idk it use to run a lot better, maybe its a Win8 issue?

cjs007 what windows do you use?

9. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
  10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013

11. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
    win 7

Yeh, i tossed that mem restrict command.....after 10 gigs of memery it didn't matter..

12. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
  13. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
    What!!
    thats insane resolutions..
    Can i see a photo of your display?
    I have a 55" Samsung 7100 240HZ 720CMR LED Smart TV

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

ah well older 1.4 or 1.5 patch ran ok with those older shadows, im at latest or mp doesnt work.

Anyway i removed it for now, again.. Will see how i7 4770k preforms once its out.

15. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    DannyD's GTX 1080ti
    it is not a Win8 issue. I have lots of textures streaming in if I use the command text. Maybe i'm using the wrong memory size.

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I really cannot remember, I modded the game through lots and lots of research and testing trying out different ENB's and mods and tweaks.

Then i deleted the lot as i couldnt be bothered to play it.
    Still looks nice though.
    I used various ini.tweaks and many mods, The mods were also hard to find as all youtube links were dead.

Here is thread i found with all the info i used to get game looking like that.

I actually forgot that i wrote all that tbh (various posts).
    http://forum.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=337618

17. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    GTA4 with the latest patch v1.0.7.0 works fine on Windows 8.
    If you even remotedly care about visual quality with mods in GTA4, v1.0.4.0 is the best to use.

18. pdxmark

pdxmark Member

GPU:
    ATI & Nvidia
    This is also an issue with Arma2 and BF3. Streams textures from the installed HDD. Having games installed all over the HDD, in 1 partition, creates long seek times, higher average read times, and longer 4k reads; file fragments scattered around the platter create a massive bottleneck when a call is made to the HDD and the arm has to move over a large area of the platter to find the appropriate bits. Did some reading and found out about "partitioning for performance". Giving each game application its own partition lowers seek & 4k read times significantly as the application is now located on the platter in a ring/circular stripe. I have found that "partitioning for performance" is critical in regard to 'streaming from the platter' applications[video editing; audio editing; streaming textures] After doing this to my game drive, my lower and average frame rates in GTA4, Arma2 & BF3 have raised.

So it seems, through other things I've read, texture packages are larger than the average systems memory capabilities, so textures are streamed from storage so they don't cripple low to mid range PCs' memory capabilities(4GB to 6GB system memory). If you have a high end machine, or just one that has lots of memory, you have to create an extra step and make a RAMDisk and preload the textures to the memory and stream the textures directly from memory using a 'symbolic link'. Doing these extra steps significantly increases lowest and average frames per-second performance.

Edit: Kind of gives reason as to why the next gen consoles will have 8GB of system memory.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No this is wrong. Every time a new partition is created it moves closer to the middle of the disk so the r/w heads actually have to move further.

Also as long as there is contiguous space files are always laid out in a circular pattern anyway. All a new partition does is create space for the file. Defragging the HDD will do the exact same thing.

How would you expect that to make any difference?
    If the amount of data to be streamed doesn't fit into memory then it's not going to fit onto a ramdisk created from the same amount of memory.

The only way to truly improve things is with an SSD

Well that 8GB is shared between the CPU and GPU, so it's still less than the average gaming PC which has about 10-12GB of available memory. ;)

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I installed the game on ssd and it ran the same like on 4-5 year old HDD with just 8mb cache.

It didnt stutter or anything but lowest or avg. fps was around the same.