amd or intel

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mb, Mar 24, 2013.

1. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I'm not though. I've used 60Hz practically all my life, and the instant I went to 120Hz, bam, vivid improvement in fluidity and reduction in motion blur. Seeing over 100Hz is iffy for sure, but surely the average person can at least note the difference between 85 and 60. I guess it depends on your eyes and what you're used to.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Sorry thats dumbest thing ive read today lol

60fps is terribly slow. I will NEVER look at a damn 60hz monitor in my life time, thats how bad it is. If you cant see a difference, well all i have to say is age is a bitch. Even looking at the desktop and moving my mouse cursor/windows around is painful to look at.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You think that's dumb? lol OK then go tell that to the millions and millions of gamers who have 60Hz LCD's and see if they agree with you.

Most movies are filmed at ~25fps. I bet you recode all your movies to 120fps don't you, since 60fps is so slow...

And you've never used a 60hz monitor? Oh please. Either you're lying or else you haven't been gaming very long...but then again you are only 18/19 so that does not surprise me at all.

It's a documented FACT that the human eye cannot differentiate frame rate over about ~60fps. A subject which has been flogged to death over the years on this forum.

And I said frame rate, not refresh rate.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    This thread is painful to see. It went from AMD vs Intel performance to who got bigger e-peen Intel or AMD and now its about if you can see above 60fps.

Heres hard facts to sum up this thread and I suggest a lock.

1) For a gaming PC, its usually more benefit to have Intel rig, why?
    a) recent Intel CPU got better Power Consumption
    b) Intel CPU got better per core performance which is required for smoother playing.

2) For a workstation or not gaming oriented PC, AMD could be considered, why?
    a) AMD 8 cores can handle more tasks
    b) AMD does better job @ Multimedia encoding / encryption

So here is some rusty conclusion:
    - If you are pure gamer and looking to do nothing but gaming on your PC, just pick Intel and be happy.
    - If you are looking into expanding your machine, working with videos / multimedia or even considering building virtual machines (amateur level), AMD might be a smarter choice.

There no such thing as "best". It all up to consumer needs and how hardware can satisfy it. There no perfect CPU, thats why AMD and Intel still in game.

Since most users on this forums are gamers, they recommend Intel. If there were infrastructure people working with servers, they would probably recommend AMD, or even crazy 2P/4P AMD systems, if that what you need.

(edit) gg it, Delta...

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    By all means, present the documentation. More frames = more information being fed to the display. If it refreshes more frequently in the same period of time, the higher framerate transfers into more visual information that you can make out with your eye. Even at 60FPS, 120Hz feels smoother because of the same frame being repeated multiple times. It really comes down to the user's eyes. And I'm sure age is a factor as well.

If I'm wrong, where does this placebo effect come from?

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No idea but the brain can only process so much visual information.

The related threads are here somewhere along with links to relevant documentation if you feel like reading through 10 pages of flaming/rage etc.....might be in the HTCP section I forget.

Just Google it if you want.

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Ehh, it's fine. Even if it is placebo, I'm fine with it. The less motion blur aspect certainly isn't. It's not CRT like, but certainly much better than standard panels.

8. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    I believe your information is wrong. My friend has a 120Hz LCD screen and it's a night and day difference in fast paced FPS games between 60fps and 120fps. Moving fast at 60 makes you see objects appear in several different locations rather than moving smoothly, 120fps is a lot smoother. I use a 5:4 75Hz LCD for competitive FPS sometimes and find it better than my 60Hz screen for that task.

SVP was made for this reason.

This thread has really derailed, i hope its closed soon.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Weird, I just made a post and now it's gone...anyway I had a look it's not in HTPC it might be in video cards I dunno.

Might of been closed since it ended up in a huge flame war with about 200 posts or some crap......

Anyway best is subjective so if you're happy at 120fps and I'm happy at 60fps then no point arguing over it...:)

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yep, pretty much. This is why products at different price points exist, after all. If nobody was happy with 30fps, then low end cards wouldn't sell.

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    The human eye not being able to resolve over 60 FPS is false. Tests have been done demonstrating the ability of the eye to identify an image at much faster frame rates...

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    That's what I thought. It doesn't really make sense otherwise.

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    The other factor which I'm sure you've noticed is when panning the judder is much less at 120hz versus 60hz. This is probably, in large part, the perceived smoothness of higher refresh rates. A static image on an LCD might as well be 0 FPS. I couldn't stand 60hz CRTs. The flicker was annoying.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Actually I worded my sentence the wrong way round.

Yes I agree humans can see more than XX fps but the point I was trying to make is there is a threshold after which we are unable to differentiate between frames per second....

To reiterate; this is about fps smoothness, not refresh rate.

This is way OT though.

15. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    can't someone just answer the quetion whether an overclocked i5-3570k will be faster or "just" on par with the stock xeon e3-1230v2 please? :D

16. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super

+1 happy with 60fps

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Depends on the workload.....what will it be used for?

If it's gaming only then I would say the i5 will be better since it can clock higher.... Xeon's extra threads prob won't help much when it comes to gaming just like the Piledriver....lol Tbh I have no clue.

18. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    yeah as stated in the op, mainly gaming beside internet and watching videos and occasionally or rather rarely some web development but all the latter tasks i am able to do now just fine it will be gaming where i need an improvement / performance boost.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah I was just aggro and called him out unfairly, already sent him an apology....:D

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    wait what

Uhm no movies are fine at 24fps, games are not fine at 60fps

Yeah and the millions of millions of gamers havent seen 120hz either now have they, also let me rephrase " i will never again use 60hz for personal use after using 120hz in my life". Age >24 gaming since i was 4(computer started when i was 6), where are you getting your assumptions from..

Anyways no need to discuss this further as heavyhemi has already posted evidence that humans can indeed see more than 60 FPS. If you said were true, than 120hz 60fps would look the same as 120fps, which just isnt the case. 60FPS is still somewhat choppy to me even on 120hz

also lol@ the number of amdvsintel threads that go way ot