SSD not seen

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by tomdraw, Apr 6, 2013.

1. tomdraw

tomdraw Guest

GPU:
    AMD Phenom II x 4 965
    Bought Samsung 840 250 gb SSD. Got a data cable and clerk said to put it in SATA 0. My computer has no SATA 0. Numbers are 1 to 5. Put in 5 and computer said insert boot disk.

What do I do?

2. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Judging by your specs :3eyes: I’m going to say it would be a safe bet to connect the SSD to port 1.

Do you have other drives connected to any other ports with an OS installed on it? Or is this the only drive and you’re going to install Windows on it?

If you have another drive with an OS installed on it that you normally boot from, check the First Boot Device option in the BIOS and set the proper drive.

If the SSD is the only drive and you’re installing it in the system for the first time, you’ll have to boot from a USB drive or an ODD with the OS installation files on it.

Welcome the forum... and get your specs filled in :cheers:

3. tomdraw

tomdraw Guest

GPU:
    AMD Phenom II x 4 965
    There are 3 of 5 SATAS occupied.(1,3,4) I'll have to look to see which goes to current HD. To start, shouldn't I put the Samsung in the lowest available port till I change the Bios to boot from the new drive after migration.?

Also, I have filled in most of the equipment spaces in the profile.

Thanks for your response.

Tom Drawert
    tadraw@sbcglobal.net

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You can but it's not essential. Just follow what clawhammer said......You're specs look a bit strange btw.

oh and prob not a great idea to post your email addy on a public forum.......

5. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    This might sound stupid, but are you using this drive as a storage drive or as a boot drive?

And if as a boot drive, did you try installing Windows to it yet?

6. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    A more stupid question, was the raw ssd ever formatted before you installed it and tried to use it as a boot drive or data drive???

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well Windows will format it, unless he is using it as a storage drive...

8. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    I was not clear, I am sorry, let me try again.

If a drive ssd or mechanical is not formatted, it will not be seen by the computer/computer bios...yes, we all know this.

If you forget to format the drive before you try using it, it will not be seen as a drive. This is true if it will be the main drive or an extra data drive.

Unformatted and the install software will not see or be able to communicate with the drive.

I know I am saying basic stuff, but often times, it is the small thing that goes wrong, not the complex stuff that u r so very careful about.

I hope this is your situation, becouse then the cure is simply format the drive and then use it.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    More rubbish from you as usual. Seriously do you just pull this stuff out of your ass?

If the BIOS didn't detect unformatted drives how the hell would you format them? You wouldn't be able to, simple as that.

An unformatted drive will most certainly show up in the BIOS, and it will also show up in Windows Disk Manager.

Furthermore, Windows can be installed on an unformatted drive just by running the installation disk. Anyone who has ever installed an OS could tell you that.

I suggest you go take a short MCP course before dishing out anymore bad advice.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  10. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    No, none of know this... it’s completely wrong. Why, read Pill Monster's response above ^

At first I thought your response was comical, but it’s actually misleading and inaccurate, simply wrong.

More stupid... indeed