FCAT benchmarking an article introduction [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 4, 2013.

1. djinn_

djinn_ Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7950
    Great read comprehensive and easy to understand :).

2. trajan2448

trajan2448 Member

GPU:
    ATI 4850
    I think its GREAT you guys are doing this, as it really goes much deeper than FRAPS. I hope you will delve into the whole RUNT frame issue as well.
    Great site!.

3. Holyneo

Holyneo Member

GPU:
    6900xt
    Is there a difference between what Fraps shows us in real time, compare to benchmarks that show fps in real time. In other words do benchmarks like Heaven..etc measure FPS like Fraps?

4. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    It doesn't matter if the capture card is not perfect or compression sucks, as long as the frames are captured. Each frame is tagged so even if you miss a frame it would be known one is missing cause there is a sequence to the tagging.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    They need to store all data so they can process output frames later on.
    So to obtain that "1 pixel from bottom left" you _need_ full frames output.

Alternatively script could be running real-time and extracting just frametimes and their length, ie "1 pixel from bottom left"

6. Zunaro

Zunaro Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    I personally think that measuring the frame output is simple in theory, perhaps not in the implementation. However, at the same time you shouldn't underestimate what your audience is capable of understanding ;)

Thanks for the great article! I look forward to seeing FCAT results included alongside FPS benchmarks!

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    This is the way to go. Average doesn't tell the whole story. If this means smoother mgpu gaming in the future for both, this is really good thing.

8. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Hilbert is out(end of the article :D) and FCAT is in... Well done Hilb. Top notch work. ;)

9. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Yes vsync eliminates it. I wish that was a little more emphasized. All this frametime issue seems to be NVidia propaganda because nobody ever seems to say oh if you play with vertical synchronization on There is no latency issues. I am glad it was put in for clarification even though its only one sentence in the article lol(I am referring to multi gpu microstuttering). It would be interesting to know what the latencies are like with vsync on since that's how I will playing. Are they different between NVidia and Amd? Im not trying to be negative here I just forsee a lot of users linking this article here like hey don't buy amd it sucks even though nobody I know plays with vsync off. Thanks for the nice read though man

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  10. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I play with VSYNC off in games that I play MP. I enjoy the increased fluidity, but when I sit back and play with the controller, it's usually VSYNC'd.

Great article and glad to see Nvidia didn't try to pull a fast one. Looking forward to your in-depth cards reviews.

11. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    vsync isn't everyone's cup of tea you know. higher input latencies, occasionally caps fps to half refresh, some games has it poorly implemented, some don't support at all.
    correct me if I'm wrong but last time I checked, AMD driver can only force vsync in opengl ? also cannot really set flip queue size anymore ?
    also heard about eyefinity vsync issues, where it hurts the most.
    sure there are 3rd party solutions like d3doverrider and radeon pro to counter some issues. but if so called 80% "gamers" don't even change ingame settings, how many really are into drivers, tools and tweaks ?
    anyway as long as benchmarks are done with vsync disabled, FCAT results are not to be overlooked.
    as for me, I mostly use vsync w/ max pre-rendered frames 1 and sometimes d3doverrider for triple buffer. single gpu.
    I'd like to see vsync enabled, triple buffered CF/SLI results for when fps is below refresh. my guess is NV-AMD avg fps differences would be much closer to vsync disabled FCAT CF/SLI results than to FRAPS which counts CF runts & drops.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  12. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    "Each four seconds or so the IO reached a bottleneck. It will kill and ruin results. We thereoff created a storage solution that as capable of writing faster then 650 Mb/sec."

So... I'm assuming that's why there's what appears to be an OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 PCIe SSD in the pics. Wow. That's a long way to go just to get some benchmarks. Thanks for staying hardcore Guru3D!
    :rock:

Also...

The Grammar ***** that hides inside me is compelled to inform you that the word you were looking for in that above quote is "therefore" not "thereoff". For three reasons:

1) "Thereoff" is not a word. Go buy a dictionary and read it sometime.
    2) "Thereof" is the word you aparantly meant to use... but it's the wrong word.
    3) The right word was "therefore"... and you didn't use it. The phrases "solved this by..." or even "felt this to be unecceptable and so we sought a remedy, and so we..." would have also been accepted.

This concludes your free yearly English spelling and grammar lesson. Live long and game on.
    :cool:

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    that internets law about grammar nazis always failing grammar themselves - it never fails ahahhaha

[​IMG]

14. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I'd love for it to be true, that vsync eliminated microstutter. Though as I'm seeing things, its still fairly apparent with vsync on (depending on the game engine). Some games seem to not suffer from it at all, vsync or not, or at least its not noticeable.

15. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Great article. Hilbert. Looking forward to future use of FCAT in your reviews. :)

16. fwixgamer

fwixgamer Guest

GPU:
    2xHD7950WF3@1200/1600
    this is really one of the best article in the high-tech web site in the past Q1/2013
    really the best evolution of how benchmark need to be made in the future
    PS: just wanna say in your future benchs for CFX/SLI use Nvidia Inspector/Radeon Pro (vsync..-triple buffering- MGPU mode AFR etc ) to get the best result in your FCAT Article plus always use the latest high end gpu 2x/3x with both side AMD/NVIDIA that will add a heavy nice charm to your reviews :)
    so keep it up that way your doing it nice (guess wizzard (TPU) ll start to cover him self with new idea lol )

17. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    To be honest, the term micro stutter only comes from issues when vsync is enabled. It's somewhat complicated and I can't explain it off of the top of my head, but what most people refer to as micro stutter is simply just plain stutter.

18. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    It doesnt matter, it should be mentioned, but painfully few sites are doing that portion of the review. While it may not be some's cup of tea to play with vsync, the same is true that no one everyone wants to play without it.

The fact that the picture is drastically different when you enable it should be mentioned and investigated. Instead its glossed over. The Tech Report, which I frequent, started this mess and has yet to thoroughly investigate how vsync affects it, and has also failed to investigate frame latencies.

It's unfortunate.

19. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Hmm well when I switch to 1 GPU I no longer get it, so I assume its microstutter, shrug! :infinity:

Oh btw, awesome article Hilbert. :)

20. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    This is the best article I have read in 2013. Thank you Hilbert and keep up the good work. :rock:

*As soon as I saw "FCAT" I interpreted it as "FatCat"....

[​IMG]