Adaptive Vsync Or Vsync

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Penal Stingray, Mar 3, 2013.

?

Adaptive Vsync Or Regular Vsync

1. Adaptive Vsync

61 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Vsync

65 vote(s)
    51.6%
  1. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    I used "regular" vsync. :) I don't like adaptive because I detected tearing :confused: when performance is dropping from 60 to 50 fps at 60 Hz monitor.
    But I don't want triple buffering for vsync despite tearing and 60 to 30 fps (not 59~31) fixed because I suspected triple buffering and disabled immediately TB after VRAM damaged (6800Ultra AGP and 8800GTS 640 - each card less than 2 years old of life). Therefore my GTX 480 still is working with 28 months old (more than 2 years). :D

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Still doesn't work. :/

3. Y1ROK

Y1ROK Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G
    What setting of vsync do you set in driver? It must be "Use 3D app setting".

4. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    loool triple buffering cant damage your video card they include it in games lool

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    He does say some silly things.
    You can reduce wear on your gfx cards by not using them as well.

6. Klementh

Klementh Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    Don't be so sure. My 8800 GT stopped working the moment I removed it from my computer.

Yes, I'm kidding.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  7. bjoswald

bjoswald Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD 630
    Neither. I can't stand the slow-down.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Try Triple Buffering and cap FPS at 60 (refresh rate).

To all those suggesting to cap FPS at 59, this causes hitching every second, like the game pauses for a frame (this is logical). You'll notice this at some point, and once you do, it'll make you sick. Upside is it removes input lag from VSync completely, so enjoy it while you still can :nerd:

On a more serious note, don't cap at 1FPS less than refresh rate. Cap only at refresh rate. Even this can cause some problems sometimes, like in BF3, where if I enable VSync with an FPS cap at 60, the game loses VSync whenever I die and it has to re-load (SP and MP). Solution is to force VSync on from outside the game (I used RadeonPro, bingo) or just don't die and maintain an infinite kill/death ratio.

9. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    Ok but sorry I don't want TB for damage to my "very important" GTX 480 - I love it because I'm much worried for GTX 580 may be discontinued and the price of Titan is too expensive and stupid but GTX 480 has the same shape to Titan. ;)
    I don't want GTX 680 due to this mid-end and crap card.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    No matter how you spin it, the 680 is faster than the 580 in gaming. Eventually, the 7xx series is going to be released and if they decide to cripple compute, you'd be in the same situation as well.

But this is beside the point; how can triple buffering, a software algorithm that adds VRAM usage and changes buffer flush patterns, damage your GTX480?

11. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    +1 as I suggested up there :)

12. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    I like gaming/demos/samples and GPGPU (GPU computing as CUDA...). GTX 480 is bit/little faster than GTX 680 for GPGPU only.
    I have to love Octane Render demo 1.10 and I benched 3.3 megasamples/s at PMC kernel (maximum photo-realistic - ray-tracing) on my GTX 480 while 3 Msamples/s on GTX 680. :D

PS: if GTX 780 will have GK114 or GM104 (Maxwell chip) might be still mid-card then I don't want it!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  13. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    You'll still get mouse lag because when you hit 60fps, vsync is on.

Anyway...I never use vsync. I prefer precise movements and tearing isn't that jarring to me anyhow.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  14. bjoswald

bjoswald Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD 630
    Why should I cap my FPS at 60? Doesn't Vsync do the same thing?

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Reduces input lag (latency) caused by VSync and sometimes removes stuttering that happens with VSync on in certain games.

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Capping framerates doesnt synchronise the start of a screen refresh with a gfx card frame buffer swap.
    So while you hit a max of 60fps, you can still get screen tearing.
    With capping on, below the cap, you have no vsync and no cap, its like not using anything.

Vysync does as its name suggests, it syncs the Vertical screen refresh and buffer swaps, its purpose is to eliminate tearing.
    Adaptive vsync turns off vsync when below the vsync cap.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Tried Adaptive but I still get screen tearing sometimes which I loathe so I go full on Vsync with Triple Buffering. Although I've heard that Triple Buffering eats quite a lot of VRAM which in turn can cause FPS drops so I'm not sure what to do here since I only have 2GB (which isn't very much today).

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Triple buffering only causes fps drops if you are running out of vram, even then, if you stop using it you will probably still run out of vram.
    It helps maintain higher framerates normally, not reduce them.

Each buffer only uses up the amount of memory it takes to display one frame.
    For 1080p, thats 1080x1920x3 = 6MBytes.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I've got a 1200p screen atm so 1200x1920x3 = 7MBytes which wasnt that much. I notice FPS in Bioshock Infinite but I've heard it's due to drivers. BF3 stutters a little but I'm used to it now. Think I'll have to do a serious run with MSIAB and check the graphs.

But if you say Triple Buffering does what it does, then I'll of course keep using it.

20. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Yes, he is right. The added VRAM consumption (practically) when running Triple Buffering is only due to an extra framebuffer.