BioShock Infinite

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by S†v0r, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Island

Island Guest

GPU:
    2 EVGA 980Ti ACX 2.0
    I know the reason noob...I was trying to let others who possibly had v-sync enabled and did not know that the boost clock will throttle in sli

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I finished the game today after 17.5 hours. And the ending... wow, without spoiling it for anyone who hasn't yet completed it, the ending is real thought-provoking stuff and one that actually shocked me.

It's a shame that the final stretch of combat was so awful though, simply throwing tons of enemies at you in the way that every other game does these days. It isn't quite as bad as the first or second game but it is dreadfully uninspired in my opinion. Thankfully the last 20 minutes make up for it.

The ending does leave me wondering what they intend doing with the DLC though, seeing as it will be single-player only. I'd give it 9.5/10.

3. Marcel

Marcel Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    i do not have any stuttering and except shadows (very high) i have all settings on max. Framerate lock and in Nvidia inspector is Turn_ON

Vertical Sync Smooth AFR Behavior

i have stuttering only if is SSAO on high/very high but with ultra settings is stuttering gone

4. RecluSe

RecluSe Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC/ACX 2.0
    What resolution do you play at?

5. 5pellfire

5pellfire Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850
    Is it possible to play Bioshock Infinite in 1280x720 resolution with black borders
    on top and bottom. I can not set it ingame, as the screen is just streched in
    the entire hight.

I'm playing on a 1280x1024 19inch monitor and I prefer to run games in
    1280x720 because of the wider view angle.

1280x720 in Windowed mode works ok (but kills the mood of playing the game),
    but with Fullscreen it just streches 720 pixels into the full 1024 place. Compared
    to streched 1280x720 mode even 1280x1024 mode looks better.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  6. TitusTroy

TitusTroy Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    where do i check my voxophone count in the game?...I see some people saying that they found 75/80 voxophones etc but where do you check how many you currently have?...the Steam achievement also tells you if you've found all of them but doesn't list how many more you need

7. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    I finished the game earlier today. I must say the 'universe' of the game is a big step back from the first and second bioshock. Where in the first, you had several tonics, plasmids. You actually were limited to 6 plasmids from a huge variety. The incinerate with click fingers felt great as opposed to devil's kiss which feels like throwing grenades. Also in the first you could take photos, to research them and increase damage bonuses. Hacking.

This game killed it all, but it makes up for all that with its superior story telling. And I guess its made with the modern theme where 'people don't have time' and hence the tonics, different ammunition, hacking, etc parts were not present.

I didn't like 1999 mode, where in all difficulties, some enemies feel bullet sponges but just for 1999 I felt that I could inflict and take more damage, but it seems that I only can take more damage, but can't inflict more. Never the less, its challenge accepted to me.

Considering that I'd give the first one 9.9/10, and the second 9.7/10, I'd have to give this 8.7/10, seeing how much they removed from it.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Kinda have to agree. I was a little bit disappointed. It always makes me wonder when I see something that is working in a game being taken out from the sequel. I personally didn't like the late 19th century setting either, but that's just me. also, the ending was a little bit meh, I kinda had a moment around 3/4 through the game when I though: "oh wait, this is what's going on" and the ending confirmed most of it. It scores a massive plus for giving us Elizabeth though, she is really well done. Still a really good game, probably the best shooter in the last few years and I gave it 8/10 a couple of pages ago. But for me the original was the better game. By quite a margin. Shame.

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ Nanogenesis - The absence of those things from BioShock 1 and 2 and the lack of camera/hacking plus the addition of Elizabeth and a voice for the main character are things that helped make Infinite feel more different from the first two games in things other than the location.

BioShock was a 10/10 game for me but I'd only give BioShock 2 5/10 as I felt it was weak retread of the first game devoid of the imagination shown in the first game (you were a Big Daddy this time, big deal) and now Infinite. The second game is by far the weakest in the series in my humbe view but I understand it wasn't written by the original developers so that kind of explains it. Infinite feels more like the true sequel to BioShock such that I'm happy to pretend the second game never existed.

10. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    @Darren

Bioshock 2 felt badass, totally. In 1 I had SUCH a hard time killing those big daddies. I'd run away, stock up on ammo, go back, and then repeat, defeating them gave me so much relief. And then playing as a big daddy, using the drill, the big sisters, that made me very happy with Bioshock 2, thoroughly enjoyed it. Though I didn't like the ending of 2. I loved the ending of 1.

Speaking of this ending, I simply don't have anything to say. At first, I didn't understand it. Can't say anything more because I don't want to spoil it for the others :p

One thing I forgot to add, in the first two, when you upgraded weapons, the weapon model changed. For example, upgrade the shotgun in 1 and it becomes bad-ass looking. An upgraded revolver looks so badass. In this game that doesn't happen :(

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, that's a shame. one of those things that they took away and I don't understand why.

12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    So been hearing all kindas of good things about Infinte, the thing was I really just couldn't get in to the first one. Got as far as going to meet Atlas in the first game and just gave up and uninstalled it, this was waaaayyy back when the game first came out. So anyway wanting to give Infinite a go I decided I would revisit the first game, skip the second since I heard it was nothing more than a cheap cash in, and then move on to Infinite.

This time I got a good deal further, in fact I completed the game, thing is while the game itself was pretty good, nothing special certainly nothing like folk were making it out to be when it was first released, the conclusion, the ending to the game was SO underwhelming, think ending to Walking Dead S3 but x10, it was so underwhelming I am not really sure if I should bother with Infinite anymore.

13. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    BioShock 2 is in ways, a better game then the first.
    Yes a lot saw it as a cash in and it wasn't "needed"... but the game does feature much better pacing and flow as the story has a better "run" to it.

Gameplay feels more fluid with certain actions being improved and combat feeling much better.

14. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    It would have been nice if they had put some twists and turns in the story like the first game.
    For me Bioshock 2 was a straight run through, no twists and no replay value at all.
    With the 1st Bioshock I really enjoyed the twist "Would you kindly..." (even though I saw it coming). Played it about 3 times.
    The 2nd Bioshock had nothing but a straight line to the end. Finished it, started a new game and quit after moments in to it.
    Bioshock Infinite at least had some form of twist to it and same as the 1st Bioshock I played it 3 times.

Funny how I value things.
    Bioshock Infinite, I payed $78 AU and after the first play through (about 17 hours for me) I felt content and I had got my monies worth and was pleased with my purchase.

Far Cry 3, I payed about the same price, played it for at least 60 hours, finished it twice and I still feel ripped off and regret buying the game...lol

Tomb Raider, similar price, finished it once from beginning to end 100% (about 22 hours), no interest to ever play it again, almost happy for the price, but QTE's and small maps make it feel not so rewarding for the money I paid.

15. Azarobi

Azarobi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870
    Just finished playing the game. My thoughts

1. Am i the only one who thinks the game is a wee bit shorter ? I mean I didn't even get to upgrade many of my weapons. lets not even talk about vigors. Their upgrades were so damn expansive. Which brings me to my 2nd observation i.e.

2. There was never enough money !!!! To developers, why do you have to go so frugal on the money in the game??? Common, give us some, let us enjoy the benefits of fully upgraded vigors and weapons. (and yes, i did explore like crazy)

3. The ending was good-ish. Probably because I was kind of expecting it. Not that i was onto to it 100%, but I was ready for something to come back full circle considering the game involved
    time jumping / tears

4. Bioshock 1 > Bioshock Infinite

16. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    What does help with money is if you have the DLC that gives 500 silver eagles and the clothing that makes voxaphones give you coins for picking it up.
    Tedious but every time before picking up a voxaphone I would swap clothing.
    Which really did help cash wise in the 1999 Mode.
    I only ever spent money on consumables (bullets, health, salts) in 1999 Mode.
    The other 2 modes I played medium and hard and I didn't spend a cent on consumables.

The upgraded possession is to powerful against men imho.
    Taking out whole squads of men without shooting a bullet.
    (RA2 Yuri eat your heart out...lol)

I did manage to upgrade all my vigors, but couldn't quite upgrade all the guns in 1st play through (medium mode)
    Had barely 100 silver eagles when I finished.

I did upgrade all my guns, but only upgraded 3 of the vigors in my 2nd play through (1999 Mode) had 300+ silver eagles left when I finished.

I upgraded half the guns I use, and 4 of the vigors in my 3rd play through (hard mode)
    Had 1200+ silver eagles when I finished.

17. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    @Azarobi
    If it was 1, we could just hack the machine and get everything at reduced costs.. but here even using possession on machines doesn't grant you a discount. Elizabeth opens up one discount counter, and thats it. Kinda disappointed there. This is why I don't know why they removed hacking. They could have used boxes and skylines instead of water and tubes to give a new feel.
    Though in 1, if I'm right you could never have ALL weapon upgrades. There were only a selected few upgrade stations in which you had to choose what to select. Maybe by making weapon upgrades as buyouts they plan to attract all the people who'd buy a DLC with SEs for it?
    There are salt stations alright, that recharge for free. But more salt stations and health stations with charges, especially for 1999 mode would have been appreciated by me.

@smashly
    I just started 1999 mode, and just at the arcade I found some clothing.. 'Eating or using a health kit grants you brief invulnerability' :p
    And about possession you are right, that possession for less works charms in huge groups, if you have salts.
    Another useful tactic I found was to max bronco, then line up all enemies and whoosh lift them up, shotgun them in the air. I had a clothing called overkill with which on crit, or excessive damage I could stun/shock nearby enemies. But with bronco, and shotgun I could kill 2 enemies airborne together.

@All
    Any tips against the handyman? I don't think I can beat him without 1999 respawns in this mode :p

18. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Agree with this although still need to finish it after Infinite.

Enjoying Infinite so far - not sure how far I am through though.

19. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    The octopus vigor and shotgun.

Best just avoiding him while you take out any men around first, otherwise the piss ant men will cheap you with crossfire.

Charge up the octopus vigor and grab the big daddy, it stuns him for a sec or so..
    Enough time to put 2 solid shots in his chest hole and then leg it a bit while you charge up the octopus vigor and nab him again, rinse, lather repeat.

Also don't be shy to run for a machine to top up health, salts and ammo whilst in the middle of battle.

20. Marcel

Marcel Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    custom_resolution

2304x1296