Early build of Windows Blue has leaked

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    YES PLX!
    (Fantasy General!)

hmm... maybe I can run 16bit code in virtual machine :3eyes:

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Amazon has even started trying to lock out platforms that compete with their Kindle from using their services....like Apple does.

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It looks like IE 11 will have webgl support.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

+1
    Although visually it's still unappealing. For the purpose of tablets/phones simplicity is great, but that doesn't translate on the big screen. It's just like people on here complaining that 1920x1080 isn't good enough for 27 inch monitors. Well, windows 8 styling is like putting 1024x768 from a 3 inch phone screen to a 27 inch monitor, it might suit the phone but certainly not the monitor.

5. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I've gone from Windows 3.11 to 98, XP, Vista then Windows 7 and tried 8 on a spare hard drive. Its not like im against trying new stuff out by any means. And anyone who actually likes windows 8 is entitled to their opinion. But to me, the Live Tile screen is pointless unless ur using a touchscreen device.

When using a trackpad on a laptop to navigate, the hovering cursor mechanic is very clumsy. Hidden options panels rather than visible buttons to press is counter-intuitive. It would have been better if MS had kept the desktop view and just made all icons and buttons larger for touchscreens rather than shoving one UI on top of another and force people to constantly flip back and forth between the two.

The one thing i do like about windows 8 is the search function where u can simply start typing the name of a file/program from the main screen and the OS finds it for you.

Another thing im not keen on is the general look of Windows 8. Everything is Tiles and squares making it look like a set of childrens Duplo bricks. I preferred the more elegant rounded corners of Vista and Windows 7 with the glass effect rather than Windows 8's rigid, blocky look.

6. JoeyJoeJoe5500

JoeyJoeJoe5500 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB
    But why does the innovation have to come in the form of touch screen functionality. Touch screen is 35 year old technology, hardly new and innovative. and is just a hindrance.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Can you please explain how it's a hindrance? Because I've yet to see one person who is against the new start menu actually explain why it's a problem to use in a way that actually makes sense. Everything I've experienced and read points in the exact opposite direction.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Touch screens, as a marketable product, have been around a long time....but current touch screens are not "35 year old technology".... Also, as Denial asked, how exactly are touch screens a "hinderance"? People praised Apple for being the first to release a "smartphone" with a touch screen....yet, nobody seems to think that's a hinderance. So, let me get this right... touch screen on a cellphone = greatest innovation ever. Touch screen for a computer = massive hinderance that makes the system completely unusable..... Now that we got that out of the way, maybe we should tell AIO makers that their systems are completely unusable because they have touch screens...

Little tip....there are corporations that actually wanted better touch screen support....and since Windows8 can be run on x86 based tablets, it doesn't make much sense to ignore touch screens.

9. JoeyJoeJoe5500

JoeyJoeJoe5500 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB
    Well its not even really an issue anyway, since Start8 gets rid of metro, so its pointless to complain about it anyway.

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Well that's poor logic, since Start8 costs money and is a third party product. If Microsoft were providing it, I would agree with you.

Personally, I think it helps to look at Metro as if it were the Start Menu. It takes the same amount of clicks to get there, and just like the old start menu, it puts your most used programs (and now you can have many more showing, most likely enough space to put every program shortcut you use). It's really not as unintuitive as people want to think. Not that it's perfect of course. I really wish the option to shut down/restart was on the metro screen to begin with and not buried in the Charm bar.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You can create shortcuts to put shutdown and restart tiles on the start screen as well as icons on the desktop....you just have to be willing to spend 10sec searching google for how.... People just aren't willing to learn anything these days. They want everything handed to them with no effort. I've been using Win8 since launch day....and I'm happily learning new things about it all the time.

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    If you read my post again, I said "by default". I know you can modify Metro to be incredibly accommodating and useful. I'm not one of the bashers.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My post wasn't necessarily directed at you....more a general statement for those that whine about the number of clicks it takes to shutdown.

14. makaveli316

makaveli316 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    This will be like Vista, not well finished and 7 which is basically the finished version of Vista.

15. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    sykozis, a key difference with those innovations you speak of, is that in previous Windows versions, there were always built-in ways to disable the new features and go back to what you were used to

Each to his own, but one may think that the best GUI is the one where you "just understand" with as little effort put in as possible.

The "Start" labeled button always felt natural to me, if you wanted to start a process you simply clicked on Start and found everything.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Show me in prior versions of Windows, how you can easily disable the explorer UI and revert to the Progman UI.... With Windows95, MS "forced" the explorer UI on everyone. There was no option to disable it and revert to the prior Progman UI without modifying system files.

When Windows95 first came out....people had to learn how to get around Windows. It was the furthest thing from efficient (just ask those that were against the change)....it's no different now. There's a slight learning curve, but it's not as major as so many are trying to make it seem.

17. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Windows 95 let you choose between progman and explorer UI during installation, no?

And couldn't you just, all the way to XP, type progman in "run" if you wanted to start it?

18. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    The first three words here nailed it. Too many releases! Give it a rest Microsoft, its too damn much already. We don't need a new OS every time there's a full moon.

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Regarding MS i think they have ****ed up big time with their lastest OSes, both mobile and for desktop.

W8 for cellphones is a very nice OS and i wouldn´t mind buying a cellphone with it but they took ages to release the damn thing!!! They let Apple and Google take all off the market and only then they wake up and realised they had to do something!!!
    Now they have to fight against two extremely established mobile OSes and try to build an app library big and competitive enough against the ones of Apple and Android. And let´s not forget how they ****ed up the buyers of W7 mobile... Nice one MS, nice one...

As for W8 desktop, is simply stupid the decisions they´ve made about it. I understand they need to attend the mobile market, tablets in this case, and that it´s better to have just one OS for desktop and tablets but the way they forced some things on consumers is simply stupid!!!!
    Forcing desktop users to use Metro GUI and removing the start menu is one of the most idiotic decisions they could have made!!! They want people to buy stuff through Windows market but no one is going to do this on a desktop!!! And becasue of this simple decision W8 is being a commercial flop! Very few need touch screen on a desktop or a laptop, this was a huge miss on MS part.
    Then we have the RT/ PRO debacle, that pretty much destroyed their tablet efforts because no one wants Windows without their legacy apps and no one wants to pay almost 1000€ for a tablet with ****ty hardware so they can run the same legacy apps...
    To make things worse, MS decided to make thir one tablets giving the middle finger to all of it´s hardware partners than in turn are refusing to releasing tablets with Windows, at least in a serious manner...

This is what i think of it, MS simply ****ed up with the most simple and stupid decisions...

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    No, and no. Progman was completely removed from Windows when ME and 2K launched. To use the Progman UI, you had to manually alter either the autoexec.bat or config.sys file in Windows95 and 98.

This is progman....also known as "Program Manager" for Windows3.1
    [​IMG]