Wii U is Sweet!

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Penal Stingray, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    The title of this thread should be renamed to "Wii U is Dead".. Just sayin.

2. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    I did wait for rayman and monster hunter but now there is no rayman and the demo of monster hunter at 20 frames per second with fuzzy graphics and clunky gameplay has caused me to simply only hold onto the wii U as it is hard for me to otherwise save cash for the ps4 without my wife putting it towards our house fund so trading this in will help as she cant put the wii U into our savings account for the house :) Vita also.

I think back to my last few release day console which started with the Dreamcast with the amazing sonic adventure which made the whole thing worthwhile as it was unlike anything i'd ever seen. Then the Xbox 360 I bought on release day next with Project Gotham Racing which again was unlike anything available and the online was sublime. I didn't buy the ps3 until late on and now getting back into launch day with wii U I'm left with a sour taste in my mouth seeing my £350 pack resellable for only just under £195 on various sites.

In years gone by I could have sold at no loss on all new consoles for the first few months. This even applies to the first few months of the vita and xbox 360.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  3. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
  4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Nintendos dogged insistance to not drop the price of this thing is only adding to these poor sales, drop the price already and you might get a good percentage of your Wii user base upgrading to the Wii-U.

I would love a Wii-U to replace my Wii, but there is a limit to how much i am willing to pay for said upgrade, and its not over £200, i can get a rival console cheaper with a massive back catalogue of cheap games for it.

So wake up nintendo, there is only so long people will hang about for Mario and Zelda.

5. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    The specs cant compete with anything Nintendo is just hoping there first party games will get them threw. Its not the phenomenon the wii was it just doesn't have the gimmick quality.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Seven years ago that Wii U tablet would have been awesome but now we have smartphones and tablets/iPads that we can play games on as well as handhelds that mirror console like experiences like on the PS Vita so it doesn't seem special anymore. And you can play PS3 games on a PS Vita too using Remote Play before the Wii U even came out so even that feature is nothing unique.

I really can't see the Wii U being a big success and it will undoubtedly struggle once the new Xbox and PS come out with 8 GB of memory that developers are surely going to want to code multiformat games for? The Wii U will then be left with inferior looking and running games in comparison like the Wii did. Nintendo's only hope of reviving its fortunes is to release lots of killer must-have games before the new Xbox and PS are released but based on past experience they are very slow to release first-party games. That is what killed the Wii for me. Time will tell but I'm less interested in the Wii U now and far more interested in the PS4.

7. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Source: CVG

The console sold just 80,000 units in February.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  8. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Dreamcast all over again.

For those who were gaming then, if you recall, Dreamcast came out first. It started strong for a month and then fell apart. Soon after ps2/gamecube were announced followed by MS entering the console market. Everyone walked away from Sega and looked forward to the bigger stuff on the horizon.

One HUGE difference here is the dreamcast was actually a good system way ahead of it's time. The first to implement online gaming on a console with a structured lobby and mouse/keyboard add-on. They also had quite a few amazing games.

Problem was like wii u, it came out at the wrong time and everyone shifted focus to what Sony/MS were planning.

I don't think Nintendo will leave the hardware biz like Sega but I think you can place Wii U next to the Virtual Boy and Power Glove.

Nintendo has finally hit a wall, depending on first party titles is simply not enough anymore.

9. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    They can't though. By all accounts, the tablet controller ALONE costs about $130 to produce. Lowering the price significantly will significantly impact Nintendos bottom line if software sales also don't significantly increase. So Nintendo is waiting for the SW to be developed first, which won't occur until the WiiU sells more, which won't occur until the price drop.

Hence the problem.

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Of course they can, at this stage they really have no option to take the loss and concentrate on getting enough units out there that said lose can be mopped up in software sales over time, but with their present stance not only are then not getting rid of units, but there is a big worry that third party software devs might start thinking why bother with such a low install base.

Nintendo really need to pull their finger out before its too late, how long can they cost on sales of the 3Ds in Japan.

75% of something sold is better than 0% of nothing sold.

11. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I agree. They need to cut the price regardless to how much money they lose. They're losing a ton of cash by NOT cutting the price and letting these units sit on a shelf, it's driving away developers.

Drop the price, push units, make up for the loss with software. You'll bring back developers with the more units you push.

And I got news for Nintendo, they need to do it quick. Because if people are worried Wii U is becoming an after-thought now, just wait until October when ps4 and xbox 720 are released.

12. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
  13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^That is not good at all.

14. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
  15. fxmercenary

fxmercenary Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC Edition
    It's not the console that sucks, its the lack of content. I got Mario, Nintendoland and ZombieU. Nothing else has been released worth buying, that I didn't already own on another system.

I bought the deluxe bundle on launch day, mine was DOA (discs would not read) and I had to send it back for repair. This is where my problems start with the console.

My biggest issue, is that I cannot link my club nintendo account to the new console, because I linked it to the first one before I ever tried popping in a disc.
    This bothers me, because Virtual Console launches in a month or 2, and I want to port over my games for $1.00 a pop.

16. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
  17. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    No Unreal 4, No frostbite, no point.

But don't worry, they'll have Zelda and Mario save the day ala Gamecube! :bang:

No....wait....gamecube wasn't technologically inferior a year after it's release..

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well in a way i suppose the console could survive on its first party franchise games, but i assume they will have to have a reasonable userbase to buy said first party games for the console to survive, chicken and the egg time of the Wii-u.

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    if only they would release the games like gamecube had, i would buy a wii-u instantly.
    Nintendo was a real let down for me with the original wii.

20. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    The problem is Nintendo execs figured the Wii U would automatically sell like hotcakes, because the Wii did. They ignored that a LOT of people got fed up with the Wii fairly quickly, or the vast amount of crapware released for the console.

Throw in smartphones/tablets that everyone has that compete against casual games, and you realize the Wii U is destined to fail.