amd or intel

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mb, Mar 24, 2013.

1. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Unless you are over paying for Intel you are missing the i5. HT isn't used in games so i don't see why adding i7 chips into a game performance per $/€ list yet leaving out the i5 is reasonable.

The i5 3470 will get 60fps at ~170€?
    The FX 4170 will get you 56fps and overclock a ton at what.. 100-120€?
    The FX 6300 isn't much more so i would go with that for a Crysis 3 build.

2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    He's right.

Just note, you will not be able to effectively overclock with the Xeon, but if that's not an issue, then go for it.

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yes you can, its called a baseclock, which will easily hit 125-150mhz from default

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  4. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    When you overclock the base clock, you are also overclocking the DMI and PCI-E busses as well, so you might damage or corrupt the devices hooked up to these busses such as your HDDs/SSDs and GPUs on the PCI-E bus.

So you risk damage to expensive components for a mere (and realistic) ~150Mhz overclock, no thanks.

5. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC

well, the thing right now is that i am not interested in overclocking anymore but that might change after a year or so if i get the feeling a little more performance wouldn't hurt :D not for the sake of overclocking though. i mean yeah i've overclocked my current cpu back then but then i also wanted to see how far i could go and expirement with it etc. now to be honest i am just looking to install the parts and want the system to run proper without hassle, tweaking, overclocking and optimizing.
    so out of the box the xeon is faster than the i5 and what about an modest overclocked i5 with almost no to little effort - will it be about the same or perhaps even faster?
    also, if i went with the xeon, i assume i could also get a cheaper mainboard due to no overclocking requirements or is this false thinking and it's safer to invest in a good solid board instead of a cheapo around 60 euros?

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    True if you play Crysis 3. If you happen to play Skyrim for example then the situation is quite different.

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Motherboards are one of the few areas in a PC that you can scrimp on.

As long as you buy from reputable brand, you are almost guaranteed no problems. So just buy one that has the features you want (number of PCI-E slots, USB3 ports, SATA ports, etc) and that's it. In any case, you will see little return in splurging on a high end one for overclocking since even the cheaper one's today overclock just fine (as long as they are not the bottom feeders).

8. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    great, thanks a lot!

9. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Any one of those CPU's will get you over 60fps. The only thing holding you back with anything less is mods and in that case it will be your GPU.

10. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  12. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    sorry to bring up this thread again but i had to wait, well not had to, but decided to hold on to order the parts due to my graphics cards getting broken and is currently being rma'ed and wanted to wait until i have it back.
    the thing now is that i am having second thoughts :D before i started this thread i haven't been active here anymore but since then i started visting this forum more regularly and i think i have the bug again :D and basically can't rule out anymore that i won't be overclocking the cpu perhaps even right from the start with a proper cooler of course. long story short: will an overclocked core i5-3570k outperform a stock xeon e3-1230v2? or how "future proof" will each cpu be? which would be the smarter choice... they cost about the same (€10-15 difference only) and somehow i am finding it really difficult to decide

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    @Chillin and Agent
    Idk if you both are diehard fanboys, trolling or just have no idea how technology is evolving or wat.....

I really didn't want to get involved with this thread but felt compelled after reading some of the comments here.....

Chillin please stop posting the same cherry picked single threaded game benchmarks, honestly if I see one more Skyrim result I'll puke on my keyboard.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  14. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I back the FX-8320/8350, it's an awesome processor and you can't go wrong with it. Like I've repeated several times, I would have stuck with AMD if Piledriver came early. I wouldn't have recommended Bulldozer, but I do recommend Piledriver instead.

I would have saved money to get the features I wanted for less. I'm not saying that the 3570K I have now is bad, but it costed me more than if I upgraded to the FX-8320/8350. An AMD FX-8350 + AMD 970 chipset based motherboard would have been cheaper than the Core i5 3570K + Intel Z77 motherboard that I've gotten. I honestly don't need the CrossFire/SLi but was forced to go with it.

As for AMD and Intel, both sides often cherry pick benchmarks so I just read up on the benchmarks I know that will affect me personally and also factor in the price as well. The 8320/8350 is priced to compete with the Core i5 3570K and absolutely trounces it in multi-threaded environments and catches up with moderately threaded environment. The only place where the FX processor lacks is single threaded performance. It's a lot better than Bulldozer but slightly behind Intel in this regards.

deltatux

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I don't get why we have all these AMD vs Intel battles.....for gaming PD/i5/i7 all perform well at realistic resolutions like 1920x1080 (or 1600x1200 if like me you still own a CRT :D).

Why all the hate?

16. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    no hate from me... if i hated i wouldn't have made this thread would i? ;) and thanks for your input pillmonster, i really appeeciate it and also deltatux because now i am even re-thinking if i shouldn't scrap the intel plans and go with amd instead!! :D

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Pill where the hell do you get me being " diehard fanboys, trolling or just have no idea how technology is evolving or wat" I'm a fan of performance, nothing more nothing less. I don't see any hate in this thread from me so idk why you are bolding my name

Fwiw I haven't posted in this thread in well over 2 weeks

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    LOL at the direction of this thread

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Every thread that involves AMD in any way turns into an "AMD vs Intel" or "AMD vs NVidia" thread at some point.

I actually enjoyed reading Agent's posts. He doesn't go so far as to bash AMD, but rather presents the facts clearly instead. He even appears to actually defend AMD at one point. I tend to agree with post #18 though.... If you can't afford an Intel K processor, go for the FX-8320 and overclock the piss out of it.

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You will not get AMD bashing from me either it's all relive to how much the OP wants to spend and what the needs are. IIRC OP had a limited budget and in his case would only be going single GPU I say 8320 and clock the s*** out of it and enjoy your games.