690 GTX Club/Overclocking/Benchmarks!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Veteran, May 8, 2012.

1. worms14

worms14 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX690
    Good and a few MHz profit.

What benchmark detect errors as soon as you, for me it's Heaven 4.0 with an error display driver?

2. newhit

newhit Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Ti Classy
    Hi all,
    Got meself a ASUS GTX690 thingy for my 3960x@4.8 (RIVE). I can get a 3DMK11 score of 16950 with the 690 at default. I then tried the "GPU Tweak" app to put in a mild o/c but i really don't know what I'm doing.

Can somebody give me a starting set of pics/values to set on the input panel. I know what each parameter means but just setting a mild o/c like so.............Core at +88, Vcore at +50, ram at default and PT set to +20 causes the 690 to shutdown in 3DMK11.

Are these values average?

What would be a reasonable set of values to just get a run through of 3DMK11? I know every card is different but it seems that I'm not grasping how each setting interacts with each other setting.

I also am not sure about whether I'm adjusting one GPU or both when I change the values.

I just want to be able to get a grip of what's valid and what's not.

Thanx.

PS
    sorry if I've missed the obvious (I did try the Google waltz but just further confused myself).

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Try..
    PT=135+
    Core=100+
    Mem=200+

Try that for starters.
    Make sure you set fan speed to around 70-75.

4. newhit

newhit Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Ti Classy
    Thanx for that........ I'll try it straight after work.:thumbup:

5. newhit

newhit Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Ti Classy
    Well, comp froze again. Knowing that the values you gave me are what all 690s should hold i tried a few other things..........anyhow, long story short, my stable 3960x @ 4.8 was not stable under 3DMK11. Reducing to 4.7 and using your numbers I got 17500. I repeated that twice to make sure it wasn't a one off.

I've ran the 3960 in Prime Blend for 12 hours at 4.8 and completed 20+ LinX runs as well. Is my failure in 3DMK11 a common instability problem? I never thought that 3DMK11 would impact on my o/c as much as Prime and LinX.

I'm not complaining too much..........running at 4.7 is still a decent return.

I know it's no record before you 5GHz+ ppl show up but it's still good to go.

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Stability testing software will test your pc differently to other stability testing software that is why i test my pc for stability with all types of software.

Once you have a stable cpu and a stable gpu you can increase the gpu clocks as i think the card will have abit more.

Try...
    PT=135
    Core=110
    Memory=300

Try that for now.

Also you will not see anybody with 5ghz cpu overclock on an air setup and be fully stable.

You will need better cooling for that.

7. newhit

newhit Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Ti Classy
    Thanx for taking the trouble to put me right Veteran. Now that I can complete the 3DMK11 run I can try the increased values.

One extra question. I think I've seen a couple of posts around where increasing the GPU volts actually degrades performance as happened to me when I tried it while failing in my 3DMK11 runs. Your numbers seem to reflect this inasmuch as you are not promoting any GPU volts change. Is that significant, bearing in mind that I think I've read somewhere that Nvidia were not happy with all the returned 5 series cards with blown cores.

Once again, thanx.

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The 5 series cards that blown aka as the 590 series had a totally unlocked voltage but the 690's voltage is locked and you can only tweak it so much unless your get the soldering iron out.

Putting the PT up to 135 is ok and even when using Keplar Bios unlocker which increases the PT to 150....I find 150 is still not needed as i have my card overclocked at PT 135 while using Keplar bios unlocker and its fully stable at.....

PT=135
    Core=130
    Memory=500

Gpu 1=1202
    Gpu 2=1189

These are my gpu speeds maxxed out and fully stable, I can get 1215 but it crashes in 3D mark 11 so i dropped down to 1202 which is good enough:)

9. newhit

newhit Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Ti Classy
    Cannot get to 110 on core or past 350 on mem (PT+35). :cry::)

Nice to check the limits though.......assuming I've not forgotten sumfink else.

Still a great card in the scheme of things.

10. newhit

newhit Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Ti Classy
    Small update........after understanding things a bit better.

I cannot get past 95 on the core without random crashes, 100-105 is doable but not stable, but the memory gets past 750 every time before the comp crashes.

Is that a false reading? Is 750 quite normal with the Nvidia cooling untouched?

I simply moved the bar in EVGA PrecisionX in stages and re-ran 3dmk11 each time (with PT left at +35 and GPU volts max or default). When I tried 800 it then crashed.

If my bubble needs bursting..........:)...........?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    700mhz is good, i can only get mine to 500mhz and be stable, once i go over 500mhz things become unstable.

What you could do is lower the memory and increase the core as this can make overclocks on the core stable.

You may want to take alook at the bios unlocker thread for an extra boost.

Full set of easy to understand instructions on post 29.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=371779

12. newhit

newhit Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Ti Classy
    Thanx for that.....I'll give it a look over.

13. newhit

newhit Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Ti Classy
    I was able to borrow a second 690:) from somebody else's rig (yeah, they do know:)). I only wanted to see what 3DMK11 boosted up to. I know that in the real world two 690s is overkill but my curiosity got the better of me........

Now the problem.

I got a tri sli problem when I checked the PrecisionX app. I did the usual google waltz and got the correct 4 gpus recognized but........no matter what I do (delete this, re-install that, disconnect and reconnect to different connectors) 3DMK11 refuses to recognize more than three gpus.

I realise most ppl are moving on to 3DMK13/Firestrike but I was hoping somebody could set me straight.

TIA.

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Vram bottleneck is the problem with 2x690's as the ram is mirrored so you only get 2Gb even if you had 20 cards in SLI.

15. newhit

newhit Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Ti Classy

16. newhit

newhit Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Ti Classy
    Well, I removed 8Gb of ram from my 16Gb total and..........quad sli now works as advertised.
    Obviously going to try different ram configs to see if I can bottom out what's going on.
    690 owner back Monday so........time to play.

Just thought I'd post it up.:nerd::)

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Your talking about OCUK, Its banned from Guru3D.
    Kaapstad has 4 Titans which are 6GB of ram unlike the 690 which has 2GB.

He also has 2x690's and has clearly shown there as a vram bottleneck which is what we all knew anyhow.

The main reason why i didnt keep my second 690.....a waste tbh.

Ive seen that thread over there also, Those guys in that thread dont really know what there doing over there and they only listen to there own advice.

18. newhit

newhit Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Ti Classy
    WHOA!!

Humble apologies if I offend.

I was only hoping you might give me a pointer as to why reducing to 8Gb brings the quad sli back. I'm thinking.....chipset limitations of X79 or my basic lack of knowledge.

Once again, apologies if I offend, and if I've overplayed my curiosity with this setup........I'm back to one card tomoz so, end of story.

I've looked at Titans myself but the cost.............:eek:

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Looks like your voltages aren't right, 16gb in all 4 slots used will cause more stress to cpu/chipset, maybe you even need a little higher ram voltage (1.50v to 1.52 or 1.55 or 1.60v).

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    No need to apologise mate, There is nothing to apologise for.
    In my opinion going to a Titan from a 690 is a waste, You will get less performance but will have more memory......worth it? I dont think it is.