God, Google is such a peeping Tom

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Chillin, Mar 23, 2013.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pretty much this. There is an opt out option so I took advantage of it.

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Explain to me how it's ridiculous? Just because something is unlikely doesn't make it "ridiculous". I'm sure everyone also thought Chiquita's accusations of funding of several terrorists groups was "ridiculous" when it turned out later to be quite true.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    it's not like google is gathering data to sell to terrorists.

4. poppy10

poppy10 Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 280X
    "Disabling the feature will not remove existing history already stored. To delete that, go to History management."

FWIW it has nothing on me, despite the fact that I am signed in on both the iOS Google Maps app and globally on my Nexus 7.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    That depends on how unlikely a person finds such an scenario, to me it's very very unlikely so would be ridiculous to think a company as rich as Google needs terrorist funding, so it would be ridiculous of me to entertain such a far fetched idea.

At the end of the day, it's an optional feature and I have never questioned why you disable it, so you really should do the same rather than thinking everyone should think the same, which is ironic.

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Funny, because at no point did I ever suggest everyone should think the same as me. In fact, I was offering up the common opinions and thoughts against such data mining in response to eclap, not stating my own personal opinion on the matter. Most of what I posted was hypothetical in nature based on the future, which is unknown. Nobody knows if Google will fall on hard times in a decade or two and start looking to alternate sources of funding.

But sure, I'm just a crazy paranoid guy.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    tbh, google can give my browsing and location history to terrorists if they get their hands on it. doesn't bother me one bit.

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Just because you and the average person isn't important enough to be targeted doesn't mean that nobody is. Stop thinking on such a small scale.

Regardless though, I think a certain point is being missed here. Privacy violation by default isn't an okay practice just because it doesn't necessarily affect anyone in a clear, observable way.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I never suggested you were crazy or paranoid, but when asking if we had read 1984 and using words like inaction and indifference it looks like your trying to "educate" those who are blissfully unaware.

I assess everything online before I submit any data, if it can harm me in any way I won't take the risk, if it can't then I'm fine.
    The bigger problem is we live in a world were most people think your weird if you don't broadcast your life online.

10. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I realize they did this, and for a while that did creep me out a bit. I had Google Now on and I found it marginally useful just because it would let me know what the traffic was going to be like on my drive. After it started sucking the living crap out of the battery on my N4 I turned it off on all of my devices. The thing that pisses me off the most is that facebook automatically starts looking for your location on stuff unless you have everything turned off. Honestly, I'm not sure I care too much if Google knows, but I care if Facebook knows.

11. chbak112

chbak112 Guest

GPU:
    nv GE FORCE 8800GTS 320mb
    and not only that!!! if you read the agreement between you and Google you will find out that you give them the permission to share your details and information with 3rd parties companies etc.
    It says this a little "tangled", saying that this will happen if there is an important reason, but what is important...is to be judged by the google team:cops: and not some other government agency. :thumbdown NOT EVEN CHROME

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    why should I not think on such a small scale? why should I care about others? about those who have something to hide? no. I really don't care.

13. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    They look at it as marketing, sure.. .. . .. :puke2:

14. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    What if, and I know this would be weird, you guys just...didn't use google products. I mean, they offer you a free service in exchange for something. This is that something. No one is looking at your data but servers. Those servers pick out keywords and locations and serve you ads and relevant info based on that.

Really. Really. That's your argument. "What if Google decides to sell your information to a terrorist organization".

What if one day my peanut butter becomes sentient and starts demanding to be spread on the outside of my sandwich! What will I do then!? We can't just stand idly by and wait for our delicious peanut spread overlords to come to life, we must end them now! End them while you can! Eat all the peanut butter you can find, quickly!

The obvious answer to your ridiculous question is that if, one day, they sell it to a terrorist organization, I will be indifferent...Because I mean they'll have my address name and friend's name but I'm not real sure what they can do with that. But assuming we delve deeper and deeper into the realm of "what if" if Google had my SSN, my account numbers, etc etc, then I would be mildly worried. But of course the government would completely shut that down.

BUT I GUESS WE SHOULD ASSUME THE GOVERNMENT ISN'T THERE IN THIS CASE. So crawling into the ******* of "what if" then I guess we will have to storm google's data centers and destroy them. I guess that will be all that's left to us.

What a ridiculous proposition.

15. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Because not all of it is complete crap. It's the same reason we're all not running Linux as opposed to Windows.

"because it is free that means you can not bitch about anything remotely wrong about it!"

Sure though, malware and other worse things online make Google look pretty tame.

To be clear I really don't think they do much with the information, but things like logging all your history by default and suggesting we should be using our real names instead of screen names is embarrassingly stupid of them.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

16. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    LOL, you guys with your little conspiracies.
    Google is the **LEAST** of your threats. In fact, I welcome Google and everything it offers in comparison to what's coming THIS YEAR.

THIS is what you should fear: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/

^ That goes live this year.

Oh yeah, and note the date on that article. Why is it everyone is looking over here at Google while the real stuff is going on over there? It's called subversion, and all of you that are concentrating on Google being evil have been duped.

You all remember the DNS-Changer virus last year? I believe that was a dry run for the monitoring software. After all, the FBI let those fake DNS servers run for 8 months without giving anyone warning.
    all it would have taken is an 8 year-old to create a single webpage with the official FBI header, explaining that if you're viewing this page, your computer and/or router/modem are infected, then explain how to fix it.... but NO, they left the entire fake DNS server farm running for 8 months while millions of infected computers passed all their information through it.
    Then, on the day before they shut down those servers, they publicized it on CNN, MSNBC and other major networks that if your computer was infected with this virus, that you'd lose internet.
    Really? 8 months without a word because "too many people would be affected by a complete internet outage" and then warning the day before they kill it?

Google really is just a drop, a VERY SMALL drop in what is a much, MUCH bigger ocean of data collection.

Psychlone

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Peanut butter becoming sapient =/ Google misusing gathered information. Nice try though. It's not just a "what if" argument, but I guess thinking outside the box is hard for you. Regardless, I'm done "arguing" from this perspective. I use Google every day and don't give a damn what they do with my data.

18. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    where do you think the NSA gathers its data? From the populations Internet footprint gathered by, fill in the blanks.

19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

I think the better question is if you put butter on the back of a cat, does it land on it's feet or on it's back?

20. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I know you know what you're talking about, I've read a lot of your posts. And while I agree with most of this one, quote above really should read:
    "where do you think the NSA gathers its data? From the populations Internet footprint delivered straight through their own servers by every digital information carrier in the USA as per federal requirement."

EVERYTHING is about to change. This year when the NSA data center goes live, it doesn't matter where you go or what you do - if you have internet in ANY way/shape/form, or a cell signal through ANY carrier, you're tied into digital communication, and ALL of it gets funneled through the servers in the facility at Bluffdale, UT. ALL of it. Every byte.
    That means it doesn't matter if you use Google or not. You create ANY digital information at all, it'll be logged in a folder with your name on it.

Like I said, Google is nothing compared to what's coming.
    Think of it this way: Google does it for advertising, the NSA does it to keep it's finger on you. That whole Orwellian thing that was brought up (1984 reference) isnt' Google at all...

Psychlone