MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 7(2013-03-14)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Mac.Sniper_E.

Mac.Sniper_E. Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX670-dc2-2gd5 (OC)
    BF3 crashed/froze

Played now 8 hours in a row with B6, no problems. Installed B7 again (the proper way as always) and crashed after 9 minutes. Placebo or not i will skip B7 and wait for a next release.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Depends on VRM model. AFAIR old good Volterra's used on GTX 2x0 and HD5x00 series cards were rather expensive. Up to $20 if I'm not mistaking.

No ideas.

You won't find it anywhere, we no longer update such document. It became too complex after having more than 100 supported models there and updating the document from both my and MSI sides. Now voltage control support for MSI cards can be determined by seeing software voltage control logos on MSI card retail boxes, the rest models are out of luck.

OSD server properties -> Profiles -> Enable detection and configure OSD profile for your browser. Side effects: it will trigger 3D acceleration for automatic profiles manager and you may see unwanted OSD when surfing the net.

What about thinking a bit? Obviously, most of people are absolutely not happy to see OSD in browser window.

3. Unwinder

The first one affect the process of resuming from suspended mode, it is a workaround for bugged display drivers which may forget to restore proper clocks/voltages after resuming from suspended mode on such systems. When it is enabled Afterburner manually saves settings before suspended mode and restores them after resuming. And you could read all that in the context help for new option BTW.
    The second one doesn't affect anything but running the system with driver verifier enabled.

No

4. Unwinder

You may wait for the next release, but it won't change anything. B7 will become a final release in the next two weeks and there will be no changes for your issue.
    Please just stay away from betas, they are intended for experienced AB users knowing how use to configure AB properly. You reported exactly the same "bugs" with BF3 crashing/freezing which previous 2.3.1 version, which were solved just by configuring the OSD properly to make it coexist with anticheat system. That's absolutely normal situation, with each and any new version we publish (both here and in EVGA) there are always "previous buld was better, new one is unstable and crashes my system" from those who cannot configure it properly. And whenever I find bugreport stupid or not, I need to verify it then to reply in the forum because other people read about "bugs" too. No need to wase both you and my work time please.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Do you have any idea why my context menu and tooltips don't show? The little ? on the OSD is greyed out too as seen in the screenshot.

It's been this way ever since switching from RT to AB back in 2009. My OS has been reinstalled at least 3 times since then.

I didn't even realize their were still tooltips as I never saw them or needed them. Not really a big deal since I don't use them, just more mystified than anything.

[​IMG]

6. Unwinder

rewt given you a good idea on it, some system optimizing applications tend to disable baloon tooltips in OS globally. You can check if it is the issue and try to manually re-enable it via the registry:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-all-notification-balloons-in-windows-vista/
    [?] in the OSD server is supposed to be disabled regardless of tooltips BTW. It was intended for redirecting users to website with OSD configuration help, but neither MSI nor EVGA used this possibility in their server version.

Edit: Also there is an option for forcibly disabling it in both AB and RTSS in "User interface" tab, but I assume you have it enabled.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Are you kidding me? Do you seriously think I would ever use any type of optimization crap on my system?? I honestly thought you'd give me more credit than that.

And as for Rewt - he is a as5hole and a troll who talks a lot of bullshlt, there isn't a more conceited and condescending member on this entire forum. Idk know why he hasn't been banned.

I'm an IT Field Engineer and while I don''t know everything, I highly doubt there is anything he could tell me. I wouldn't listen to him anyway.

/end rant.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions, I'll try and figure out these issues myself.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    mine is grayed out to but tool tips work fine when enabled .

Why do you have application detection level set to high, maybe try lowering to low , that works for me in most games but I don't have/run BF3 so don't know on that one .

9. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Query, is there a bug with the latest msi afterburner.
    if you enter your clocks and voltage and apply
    the cards powerplay function is still working and when entering games 3d voltages apply, but here is the catch ? though im not sure if this is a bug.

but when i apply the clocks and voltages and apply 3d voltage gets applied to 2d desktop low clocks voltage in turn heating up the card for no reason.

its like force constant voltage is applied when its not ? there for running the card in 3d voltages even when in 2d ? but if i press the reset button then the 3d voltage gets applied properly when entering games and 2d`s low voltage gets applied properly.

--------------------------

EDIT : ok i figured out the problem, if your running another display and its turned on then your clocks change to 500/1375 / with 3d voltage constantly
    but with it turned off low power voltage gets applied correctly...

very strange as when i dont apply any clocks or voltages to msi and run stock
    clocks and voltages even if i have the monitor or plasma turned on clocks change from 300/150 to 500/1375 but correct voltage is still applied 0.850v
    its only when i apply clocks with msi is that it forces 3d voltages on all the time :/

is there a work around for this... its like its a bug, somewhere

----------------------------------------------------

chart :

2 monitors without msi enabled works perfectly
    in 2d desktop voltages are applied correctly 2d voltage for desktop + 3d voltage when in game even if both monitors are enabled..

with msi enabled : 3d game voltage gets applied to 2d desktop voltage when 2 monitors are enabled
    if i disable 1 monitor then voltages are correct in 2d and 3d.

its like msi forces 3d voltage to 2d voltages aswel even though clocks are not running in 3d and are running in 2d 500/1375 ect.

wonder if there is a fix that can be applied.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Yep I can confirm this.

Small possibility the drivers could be to blame but I'm not sure atm.

11. Unwinder

Address that to AMD, Afterburner is not controlling process of dynamic clocks/voltages switching, doesn't care how many displays outputs are connected to the card etc.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Right, so obviously that's why you include 2D/3D clock profiles in Afterburner. :rolleyes:

I can see I'm just wasting my time.

13. Unwinder

Right, that is why context help for that option is clearly saying the following:

- Automatic profiles management does not override own hardware downclocking technologies implemented in modern GPUs, it just loads desired profile on the first 3D application start and on the last 3D application quit events.
    The primary objective of automatic profiles management is emulation of hardware downclocking technologies at software level for old graphics cards without own downclocking support (e.g. NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX series). However, automatic profiles management can be also used for different purposes, e.g. to force fixed fan speed only during 3D applications runtime.

I'm starting to afraid that I'm just wasting the time as well.

14. Ltmatt

Ltmatt Guest

GPU:
    HIS Ice-Q 7950 Crossfire
    I have a similar problem. Bf3 will sometimes crash, however other times it does not. I use the overlay to monitor stuff, i also use an fps limit. Apart from Direct3D compatibility mode what else could i change within the OSD to help reduce the crashing? There are a few different options, Raster this and raster that etc but ive no real idea which one to pick. The crashing is not a huge issue, it only happens sometimes so i can live with it, but if i can change something in the rivatuner panel then i would like to try that. Thank you.

15. Unwinder

Search. Punkbuster. Stealth mode. Low-level hardware access mode. It is not anyway related to beta 7 or 3.0.0 version, it was so always and it will stay so.
    Don't flood with it in new build thread please.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    So you're saying that even though 2D/3D profile switching worked fine for 3yrs until beta 6/7, I must be wrong because the documentation says so.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense, but why am I not surprised at your reply?

And btw it may surprise you to learn the 8800GTX CANNOT be downclocked because it doesn't have a variable vrm.

But of course you're never wrong are you?

I'm done in this thread.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  17. Unwinder

Are you drunk or just trolling? Or the very first days of spring affect you that way? I tolerated your "posts" directed to rewt's attempt to help you, but you indeed don't seem to think what are you posting. The post by Plug2k, which I commented, describes pure behavior of AMD PowerPlay hardware controller, it has zero relations to software 2D/3D profiles management. And no, it didn't change and it still works as supposed.
    You will learn me to 8800 internals? Probably it will be surprise for you, genius, but downclocking has no any relation to VoltageRegulationModule AT ALL.
    Stop posing your nonsense in this forum section or I'll help you to do it.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Don't tell me how to suck eggs - I was talking about 8800GTX vgpu - NOT the clock speed.
    Which is exactly the issue I now have with my 7950 ONLY after installing latest beta's.

If you bothered to look at my screenshot earlier you would have seen my 2D profile open with 2D clocks and 3D voltages. That was my whole point.

And I don't give a shlt about this MSI section, or been restricted from it.
    It's completely pointless posting problems in here anyway because you deny all responsibility. It's always someone else's fault, never yours.

Hope you and your best friend Rewt have a happy life together.

Later.

19. Unwinder

Probably that is why I say "thank you" to users who report TRUE problems. And probably that is why there are always new fixes in each new version.
    And with attitude like "I'm an IT Field Engineer and while I don''t know everything, I highly doubt there is anything he could tell me. I wouldn't listen to him anyway" you are definitively not a desired guest here. You don't want to self-educate and assume that each nonsense you post here is CORRECT. So solve your PEBCAK issues in some different places. I didn't invite you here and didn't post something stupid about your work, making you to comment my nonsense. Bye.

20. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Gentlemen, calm down please.