7870 XT vs EVGA 660 SC Signature 3GB

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by Kuronca, Mar 3, 2013.

1. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Spoken like a true fanboy. As a matter of fact, I've owned 5 or 6 ATI cards.
    Let me see, an old Rage3D, a 9700pro, a 1600XT, a 4870 and a 5770. I have lots of experience with ATI(AMD)cards. Whatever point you're trying to make is lost on me.

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    same old suspects in threads like these geez
    no offense against you twtalor

3. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    None taken. If I found an AMD card significantly better at around the same price, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. 4 or 5fps is not worth it.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I went with sli 680 knowing full well xfire 7970 was faster. I really didnt care

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    this comment screams "retarded fanboy" lol

i myself w0ould take the 660 regardless of which is faster

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Lmao, I laughed hard at this post just because of the way you said this.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    hey Ice didnt you have a 7970?

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    If you ask me I think PhysX is, even now, not mature enough in terms of software and performance. It barely adds anything to games and when it does its either over the top stuff, or stuff that you look at and say "oh thats looks good, thats PhysX at work" it just does not blend well into games yet. I much prefer the phsyics of Havok with the ragdoll effects than some cloth breaking up or some water being made to look good. Crysis has some of the best in game water effects Ive ever seen and that uses its own engine.

I was a VERY early adopter of PhysX, I actually brought (YES BROUGHT WITH MONEY!) and Ageia PhysX Card back before Nvidia took them over. I remember playing the literally handful of games like Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and enabling PhysX and it just looked completely out of place. Yeah its matured a lot now with what Nvidia has done with it but in all honesty it still looks out of place in a lot of games. When its used subtly in some it works as you dont notice it as much. But most of the time it takes me out of the game it self, which it shouldn't do it should help immerse me even more.

Stick with the AMD card, they have probably the best lineup at the moment in terms of GPU's when it comes to price/performance and the new never settle drivers since release have been amazing.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    his card was a dud, broken. forget what it was though

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yes, I had a Gigabyte 7970 OC. It was crashing during idle though and just being a pain. It was also just a bad card in general, it was really loud and voltage locked. So I'm getting a refund and went back to team green.

11. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So does yours. :D

Sorry I thought you were dr.noob. :D

:D lol yeah, a bit extreme

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  12. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Son, you definitely aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer if that's the best you can come up with. Instead of digging yourself out, you did deeper. lol

13. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah sorry I didn't mean to disrespect any of you. :) I really thought you were dr.noob.. so please believe me. :D

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  14. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    I accept that, well done. :)

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    So its ok to disrespect Dr noob? But the other Guy gets an apology?

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not true.... My GTX660 is quite a bit faster than my HD7870 was in a few scenarios....

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    he`s a fanboy what do you expect.
    he said
    Otherwise.. if you want to go for nvidia then go for nvidia. But I don't really see the 660Ti being worth anything, or having any worth.
    post 29 this thread
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4554683#post4554683

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My GTX660 stomped my HD7870 in WoW and Diablo3.... In WoW, my HD7870 struggled to run the game on "High" and was actually outperformed by my GT640, whereas my GTX660 can run the game just fine on "Ultra". In Diablo3, I had a maximum of 100fps at max settings, whereas my GTX660 has a maximum of 148fps.

I'm not a fanboy by any means. All I care about is which card will provide the best experience (not necessarily the best performance) in the games I play. Having the highest maximum framerate...or even the highest average framerate, doesn't guarantee the best overall gaming experience. This is why results in reviews for graphics cards should only be used as reference figures.

19. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    AMD has always struggled in WoW for some reason. With that said, the 7870 is generally a faster card in most situations. But you're right about framerate only telling part of the story. It's why I'm a Nvidia fan (not fanboy). I won't hesitate to recommend AMD cards to others, but in my case I just dislike them. I tried them again, and yeah. Still don't.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    there was a reason why I went with slower much more expensive 680`s. framerate is only part of the equation. and with me always going multi gpu it was a no brainer. I paid extra cash but well worth it, and phsyx and cuda another plus and I get the hair tresx or whatever its called on tomb raider too