Big Sugary Drinks may be banned by the Government(NYC)

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Mar 12, 2013.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    The only reason i ever have sugary drinks its just for the fizzy-ness feeling when it goes down your throat, other than that they all taste rather average imo.

2. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Cue movie trailer voice:
    "In a wooorld, where soda has become scarce, there was a child..."
    EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS
    "What would you like to drink?"
    "A Pepsi"
    "I'm sorry we only have water"
    GUN SHOTS
    EXPLOSIONS
    FLICKERING SCENES
    BWAAAAAAAAAAMP
    FLICKERING SCENES
    BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMP
    EXPLOSIONS
    SLOW MOTION
    BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    SUGAR RUSH
    Coming Soon

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  3. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I think this topic shouldn't even be up for discussion in any state or legislature, period. Part of living in America is the freedom to do what you want, when you want as per the Constitution of the United States.

Is obesity a problem in America? It sure is, but its every American's damn right to drink a soda and have a cheeseburger if he or she so pleases. I think the idea of telling people in a free country what they can eat or drink is outrageous, an abomination and that it should be laughed at and thrown out. End of story.

4. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070

hahaha do we kickstarter you now or later lol

5. Templ

Templ Guest

First they make you become addicted to it, and then they want to take it away.

6. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    The ban might have gone through if it was to be applied equally.There were exemptions for 711 and grocery stores so that was going to hurt the mom and pop places and restaurants.I don't agree with it but if it happens it needs to be equal.

7. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    I wish they still used sugar in drinks. I'd still drink one or two a year if that was the case. It's all high fructose corn syrup nowadays and that's why I don't drink soda pop of any kind any more. They even put that junk in hot sauce of all things. :flame:

I guess there's that "throwback" brand of carbonated beverages but it's not available everywhere. It's not all bad though. The more unhealthy they make consumables the more I avoid them and the healthier I become. :)

8. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    This is true for me too.

9. Lawlzfest

Lawlzfest Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7870/GTS 450
    I don't agree with them banning the drinks because they shouldn't be able to tell me what I can or can not ingest. I drink more water than anything though. I just don't like that they want to make people do what they want. It is alright to advise people and inform them, but not force them.

It is so that you go through withdrawals and crave it more, so when you are just about free from the grasp of sugary drinks they can make them legal again and every one buys it like crazy.

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    in Turkey they are trying to BAN soda drinks from schools which is absolutely necessary.. i stopped drinking too..my sugar rates are high. iam 32 years old and at this age this thing is harming me already.

11. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I very rarely drink soda of any kind, but if I fancy a super sized cola I should be able to buy one.

12. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Might as well ban all the fast food places and sell bowls of salad and bottles of water instead!

13. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    They should probably just start using this stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharin

It's actually sweeter than sugar and diabetics can eat the crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RDCnDK2K6Y

Basically there really isn't a difference, only that one is cheaper. Unless you live in, say, South America, in which cane sugar is still used, but only cause it's cheaper. And it's cheaper depending on what you can grow where you live.

However

That is one real issue of it. It's just an additive for taste, but it's in everything.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  14. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    They had to ban too much Obesse children walking around the streets

15. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    It tastes so different though. I tried a Throwback Mountain Dew a few years ago when they first came out and it had a distinctively crisper, sweeter taste to it. Corn syrup, even before it's been processed to turn it into high fructose corn syrup, has a very rich taste. Too rich for me. It's alright on pancakes every once in a while though, which is what I've always associated Corn Syrup with. Even though they might be similar on the molecular level they're worlds apart when it comes to taste. :)

It would be nice to have more alternatives though, as you were showing.

16. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I have a hard choice with this. I can't touch sweeteners of any kind (cause migraines), but trying to cut back on sugar is hard (sweet tooth), although probably better in the long run. Giving a lower/more natural sugar diet a go now. Will see how it goes. As for banning it, if people want to drink the stuff, their own choice, just tax it a bit more to pay for the treatment they need in later life...

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Sorry but the government has no right to tell me what I can and can't drink. This is just one of the things Bloomburg has done in NY another was limiting salt. Look I get that too much salt or sugar is unhealthy but you are not our parent we are grown a$$ adults and our children should look to their parents for guidance not some government suit with their convoluted policies.

Just for the record I tend to be one of the guy's that think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problems sort them selves out.

18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Love it^............:cheers:

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Gotta enjoy the little things..... that's why I love my A&W root beer, Dr Pepper, Vanilla Coke, Cherry Coke and Snapple.....:)

Oh and a local store here sells Mexican Coke, apparently it's made with corn syrup instead of cane sugar? Not sure what the difference is.

20. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    I agree with you mostly, they sell alcohol and tobacco yet something which affects society and lives to a lesser degree than alcohol and tobacco gets a ban, that in itself is a joke, however the fizzy drinks mainly affects the younger generation and if they get used to drinking them regularly they will bring that to adulthood, again though relative to alcohol and tobacco its a bit of a joke.

Even though i smoke and drink, i would nearly prefer a society where its not possible or made far more difficult, moreso for the younger generation, complete bans never work, but extremely high taxes could.

Yes i can, not trying to be smart, because i agree with both sides, of course its my opinion, and thats yours.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013