Will Next Gen Consoles be more powerful then PC on launch

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by blesner, Aug 7, 2012.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  2. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Yeah I mean it's a nerdbaiting comment for sure, but man people are biting into it really easily here.

3. ortucis

ortucis Active Member

GPU:
    AORUS 1060 Extreme
    YES, the next-gen consoles will be powerful compared to majority of PC's out there for at least two years after launch, PS4 probably will be for 3 years easily cause of 8GB GDDR.

But that's a good thing. Now we will get Crysis 3 level quality in almost every game (that isn't using that pointlessly stupid WOW art style). I am OK with that, even though I don't intend to upgrade my GPU for 2 more years at least. I will end up upgrading to some high-end CPU+GPU after 2-3 years like many other PC gamers who don't waste money every year on upgrades.

And that Just Cause developer is (thankfully) right. Still, as a PC gamer, I have no intention of buying a console. I will just upgrade to something better on PC front later on (that and I am using UDK to create my game for Windows/Mac :p).

4. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Next Gen consoles probally will mark the end of console exclusive releases.
    Seeing as how they are moving over to x86 architecture.

And with any luck it will also mean the end of crappy poorly optimized console ports.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I don't see how 8GB ram makes the latest console more powerful than my PC.

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It does not, however, those rigs with 8GB may have some hitching if the game really uses it all since I doubt that PS4 OS uses more than Windows + other crap that runs behind.

I got RAM part covered though, 16 GB is probably enough for this decade.

7. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    NOpe! NOPe! and NOPE! k?

8. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    The intresting part for me is that PS4 will have DDR5 not only for the graphics but for system memory too. CPU and GPU using the same very fast memory. I'm no expert but that seems like a very fast solution indeed copared to current PCs where you have two separate mems and the data flows between DDR3 RAM trough the CPU mem controler to the DDR5 graphics mem and the other way around.

9. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Only less than half of the 8GB on the PS4 will be available for game developers to be utilized for their needs, more than 4GB will be reserved for the system itself.

Its something on the lines of how most the current games(99% if the titles) only can populate 2GB of application address space, its just doubled on the PS4.

Which also indirectly points out that the developers can only EVER reserve close to 4GB RAM for their games for 6-10 years until PS4 becomes obsolete, meaning PC ports will behavior similarly (not matter if you have 8GB RAM or 16GB ram on your 64bit OS).

Note: Since RAM on PS4 is loads faster than desktop electronics, expect games to be loads faster with just that 3.5GB or near_and_less_than_4GB RAM..compared to Desktop systems with 8GB or 16GB RAM (with what ever speeds?)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  10. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    isnt GDDR5 based on DDR3 tech? GDDR5 has very high latency but high bandwidth because its main purpose is for graphical tasks (massively parallel computations of the shader cores, on a 32bit lane), System ram uses different approach in how it stores the data on the memory pool afaik.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Could be DDR10 for all the good it will do.

12. tibial

tibial Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 580GTX 3-Way SLI
    I don't think the PS4 OS needs 4+Gb of GDDR5 to run mate... It's a bespoke OS to run games not Windows Server 2012. Browsing the web, taking snapshots and accessing an online store can be easily done even on a smartphone today. By the way the PS4 is suppose to have a dedicated ARM processor to handle those tasks without even addressing the main CPU.

The problem for me (after watching the killzone demo) is that developers probably going to aim for 30hz in every game again this time. And I hate it! Not because the PS4 or Next Xbox won't be powerful enough for 60hz gameplay, but to cut down development time and costs.
    This is how a closed system like consoles work today. And that's why an open platform like a PC will always be superior.
    Do you have the processing power? Put that old Crysis 3 back in and run it at 200+fps with 16xMSAA... It's only a matter of price and time, the game will always be there with no fps restrictions.

13. Infanticide

Infanticide Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB
    New consoles, probably, wont be as powerful as modern, high-end PCs, but, most likely, we will be bombarded by badly done console ports again. And that will level the field, if you know what I mean. Also: new consoles will mean another five years of stagnation for PCs, thats why 2014 will be great time to buy new PC, because it will be enough for a long time :)
    Unless of course people got wiser and wont buy those consoles making them fail - that would be perfect.

14. tibial

tibial Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 580GTX 3-Way SLI
    It's not about being wiser. There are people who prefer a cheap laptop for work and a reasonable priced console just for gaming. There's nothing wrong with that.
    Graphics is the only advantage of PC compared to consoles and for people that focus on gaming only, a console is the smartest choice. No drivers and crap like that, they want to put in the disc and start playing. A few hi-res textures here and there, some AA and a couple of extra effects doesn't mean the world for most of the people.

I personally love graphics and technology and that's why I prefer a high end PC but there are some great exclusives on consoles I wouldn't miss for any Crysis.

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I dont think the PS4 is going to be more powerful than PCs for years to come because PC technology keeps changing. Also game developers are only going to have access to only between 4-6gb of RAM. Im wondering how the specs of the PS4 are going to effect the price? How big of a hard drive are they going to put in there? (Since the high end current PS3 super slim is up to 500GB).

16. Infanticide

Infanticide Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB
    " for most of the people"
    - you're right, unfortunately.
    We will have to sit through that "next, next generation". again.

17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The only things that could dampen their sales would be people preferring mobile gaming (iPad/iPod touch and similar devices) or absurd prices ($70/+no second hand) and weak launch titles. Very few would ditch consoles for PC. The only reason I still have my Wintel for gaming is that it can do much more than gaming and is a hub of sorts for all things digital.

Ps. your nickname is eff'in creepy :p

18. Infanticide

Infanticide Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB
  19. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    The launch of a new gen of console must be my worst moment in gaming, the total media w@nk, PC gaming is dead, consoles are more powerful then PC's etc.

20. tibial

tibial Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 580GTX 3-Way SLI
    You should be laughing actually.

PC gaming is not dead by far, however there are no exclusives to really take advantage of it. Even Crysis 3, imagine if it was a PC exclusive... I bet it would look 10 times better than it does now.