NVIDIA on Tomb Raider performance issues

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 10, 2013.

1. partyface86

partyface86 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7870 @ 1200/1500
    The icecream licks back

Finally nVidia gets a taste of their own medicine. TWIMTBP did the same thing to AMD. This kind of marketing has to stop one day, forcing client to by a specific brand card to play a game at it`s full potential.

2. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Seems like nVidia needs special tweaks to make their GPUs run properly.
    We all know that AM's GPU have better compute power.

Shame, i'll never believe anything from nVidia after their terrible FX days.
    We all know that they cripple AMD's card performance.

3. Vortex

Vortex Member

GPU:
    rx6800xt
    I just wanted to say I finished the game with not that many issues. Yes in some cut scenes with a upper body close up the TressFX on Lara's hair drops the FPS pretty low(35fps) and Yes the TressFX did bug out a few times making her hair disappear, Yes there was some texture flickering in the game. I personally thought it was a excellent game!

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    looks like it's not just nvidia who are butthurt :p

5. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    It was just a market move between AMD and Crystal Dynamics so that they keep nvidia out of it so that AMD gets some hardware sales, still if you look at it it is like someone say'd they didn't test it on NVIDIA or if they did it they did it only 1 -2 day's.
    And for chanw4 i don't agree whit your statement that :
    If TressFX is truly run on DirectCompute and OpenCL, then why do the developer need to change the code to cater to Nvidia? Either TressFX is not entirely DC and OpenCL or Nvidia is not fully DC and OpenCL specced.
    It depends on how they implemented it.
    If they work on AMD it is not a 100% NVIDIA and if they work on NVIDIA is not 100% AMD.

6. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    TressFX use DirectCompute, DOF in the game use too DirectCompute ( hence why it could become really taxing on some hardware ). And some parts are too handle by DirectCOmpute.

TressFX work on Nvidia hardware, there's some little bug on Nvidia cards, but its even hard, not possible to say if it is coming from TressFX in itself, or the transparency, or the collision etc. On Nvidia hardware, most problems look to be crash related etc...

Its not the first time Developpers and GPU makers need some work for fix some specific bug.. Remember the flashing fogs and textures on SC2 on AMD cards.. Skyrim, well the list is so long, nearly all games have got the need to get patch and fixes with specific problem on a brand or another. I dont remember one games thoses last 2 years who have not need patch and fixes on drivers when released.

Now it is a bit bad to see the patch and the drivers are taking so long to be provided to Nvidia peoples. It is specially bad as the game have just selling extremely well even the first days, so at this rythm many will have finish the game before the driver and patch are out. ( here, it was out of stock on any shops the 6th march on both PC and consoles .)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    exactly. it's not like this never happens. that's why I was surprised that nvidia felt like they had to come out and blame everyone around them.

8. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Well At least Stress FX runs on nvidia cards "Nvidia Users still get to play with it" but physx dont run at all on radeon cards "Radeon users never get to play physx on their radeons" only PS4 lol. and Nvidia Top of the line GPU Titan is the top dog right now and still AMD has nothing to counter attack it.

9. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    Just for clarity, PhysX dont run on the AMD Radeon GPU of the PS4, but on the cpu, the same way it run on Intel and AMD cpu's on our pc when PhysX is used as software. ( could be funny if some devs of the PS4 and next Xbox are cracking the drivers and developp an "Non official API who run on Radeon " ( i doubt they will take the risk, and whatever they could not use it in the game )

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    it's not like titan needs to be countered unless you want the best and don't mind paying ridiculous prices. I can buy 2 hd 7950 for half the price of titan and get same/better performance.

11. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Is that mean PS4 wont see any purty physx effects like the pc version?

12. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    Not by the gpu... like for old consoles, it will only be used for some effects calculation on/by the cpu.

13. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Back on topic folks.

People trying to derail threads will be dealt with.

14. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    **** it we have there money say the Corp big wigs.

15. BiggieShady

BiggieShady Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 970 Phantom
    Remember three years ago when Nvidia was collaborating with developers in TWIMTBP titles and pushed higher tesselation levels for advantage over 5000 series radeons that were weaker at tesselation.
    Same thing here, AMD is collaborating with developers through gaming evolved to make sure code is optimized for GCN and to use healthy amount of compute abilities, the kepler's weak spot.
    Sure, developers loose some initial sales but gain advertising money can't buy: these controversies are discussed on forum threads for days :argue:

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    that was a Godawful series, that was the first time I bought an ati card. 9800pro. I dont remember if I had a good experience or not but I never went back to them. nvidia has been on the ball since then, and there were far more awful cards from the ati series.

17. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Funny thing is ATI almost died was outcompeted by NVidia luckily amd bought them lol and amd has still no answer from titan. this what you called tress fx aint that suppose to be amd exclusive to take advantage of direct compute lol NVidia can do can run it too, what kind of exclusive is that? how come NVidia exclusive like physx radeon cards can't run it all? even though all that direct compute crap lol. good thing amd bough ati or else NVidia would of been monopolizing the gpu market.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Um what? ATi's best year was the year AMD bought them. 2900XT came out a year later that was when they lost all their markeshare. They were no where near close to dying at all. They held 28% of sales while Nvida only held 20% at the start of 2006.

And AMD doesn't need to answer Titan directly nor did they need to answer the 690. The price puts both way out there in terms of actual revenue generation. If anything both cards are just a giant advertisements for Nvidia.

And since you edited, no TressFX isn't supposed to be an AMD exclusive. It's made to run on both, the only reason why the performance is gimped on Nvidia is because Nvidia artificially gimped the Compute performance on Kepler in order to avoid cannabilization of their pro market. The 680 falls behind even a 570 in some compute workloads due to this.

19. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    And also titan killed 7970 in performance even all that direct compute crap lol, I called it very effective advertisement to obliterate the competition.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Titan didn't kill in anything, they traded blows -- and the 7970GE actually has 13% more compute power total despite it being more than half the price.

And yeah, obviously having the fastest card is an effective advertisement. Doesn't change the fact that the affordable Nvidia cards are gimped in Compute and the experience of games suffers due to it. Or the fact that you simply lied about ATi's position in 2006 for no reason.