Get Windows 7 or 8???

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Ragingun, Mar 6, 2013.

1. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    At 1:12....the poster of the video admitted it's own complete incompetence with the statement "I couldn't get stuff done".... I've venture to say the creator of that video is likely a Mac user.... There is nothing complicated about Windows8 at all. If you have a problem navigating it....the problem isn't Windows, it's the user.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I wound not change my W7 Pro for anything! What a great OS...

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    It is up to you. If you like to try out new things and dont care about looks then Windows 8 is the OS to go with. If you are too used to having an actual Start menu rather than a Start Ribbon and do not like the new things that Windows 8 has to offer then Windows 7 is your OS Choice.

With me I have a very stable Windows 7 install and I do not want to change that. However when I upgrade in the Summer of 2014 then it might be a different story.

With that Video link that Killswitch posted. Part of it reminds me of trying out Windows 2000 and Windows ME. In Windows 2000 I couldnt get the sound to work and in Windows ME I didn't like it didnt have the boot into the Command prompt only feature so I switched back to Win98SE at that time period.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    You're welcome, always glad to help out new members.

I wouldn't go that far.
    People can say what they want but you still have to make the decision.
    Although, some people can get pretty upset in regards to their favorite OS being replaced.:)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  6. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Win7. Everything works.

7. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yep. All win8 brings is incompatibility. Plus 8 is annoying as hell to navigate or to do just about anything for that matter.

8. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Whats incompatible, from your own experience?

9. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070

windows 2000 ran better on my compaq computer then windows 98. windows 98 kept freezing when using the internet. back when windows 2000 came out, compaq support was having problems because people wanted to upgrade to windows 2000 and compaq wasnt supplying windows 2000 drivers. they finally gave up though and starting offering the drivers.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  10. 11001010

11001010 Guest

GPU:
    9800gtx
    I've found the same with people getting overly aggressive when defending old fashioned soundcards.

11. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    my soundblaster 16 kicks ass and still does............has great sound in all my dos games....out performs dosbox sb 16 emulation crap or my audigy with dos drivers

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It was you who started it, nobody even brought up the topic before you.
    Makes you wonder who's the one with the problem lol :p

13. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Funny, I thought the same after 10 minutes of trying it out. ;)

Once I actually spent a few hours working with it, including a lot of Google searches, I've warmed up quite nicely to it. I've finally installed it as my main OS and have no regrets thus far.
    It continues to surprise me with tiny "little things" that make me smile. A couple of those are, spell checking in IE10 without installing a 2nd or 3rd party app. And last night, while struggling to play TR, I was using my volume wheel on my keyboard and a visual indicator showed up in the top left corner. I don't recall windows ever doing that before. It sounds trivial but it's one of those small details that I really enjoy. I'm sure I'll stumble onto more "hidden gems" as time goes on. Win8 gets my vote. :thumbup:

14. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Well I got W8. I like it though it took some time to get used to. I really like the task manager setup and desktop button that allows for access to nearly everything from one place.

15. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Windows Millennium Edition.:banana:

But seriously, get 7 and let Win 8 mature a bit. imo.

16. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Well I have used it more than 10 mins, so opinion based off a bit of use.:hatty:
    I'll most likely wait for the next windows unless there is a real reason to update other than a whole heap of extra interface to wade through or features I won't use. For instance if it brought a new Directx, or performance improvements to games, apps or hardware etc. Tangible reasons other than something new and fun to play with.

To me it just felt like I was doing all this extra stuff, just to do things I could get done faster with 7. :eyes:

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    To OP. If you have plenty of time to spare, install both (using the 30 day trial period) on separate partitions. Use them both equally until the trial period runs out then decide.

18. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I think windows 8 is like how windows millennium was.

windows millennium had a bunch of new stuff and change things for people like the disabling the ability to enter dos at boot and introduced a kind of system restore.

windows xp was built with windows 2000 and things that where added in windows millennium.

windows 8 just went the same route as windows me and vista, with the new things added

windows blue and windows 9 could go through the same way as windows xp and windows 7 did. enhanced, tweak, and what ever.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Windows7 was built off Vista....and Windows8 was built off Windows7. Vista was a "new" build.

WindowsME was built off Windows4.x (Win95, 98, 98SE).

20. lothyr

lothyr Guest

GPU:
    EAH 6850 DC
    Win 7 Versus Win 8 Choice

If your hardware is Win 8 compatible w/o workarounds, etc. go for it.

In my case, my hardware and supported OS is Win 7. So I am sticking with that OS. Actually some of my hardware is XP supported but works well in Win 7.

OSs are like buying a new car. If the car {truck, w/e} is a new model based on new engine, etc. then I give the manufacturer time to work out the bugs {years?}. If your the kind of person that wants latest and greatest then go ahead and buy that shiny new car and hope it doesn't have a recall or problems.

Me, I'll stick with a Truck that has a proven track record for dependability, at this point that is still Windows 7 {to use an analogy}.

Plus, when I can buy Win 7 for $25 instead of Win 8 Upgrade for $200 I'll just wait.