If you still have a legacy card, try these.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kevsamiga1974, Nov 7, 2012.

1. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Some speed is lost...

But no text bug...

The thing is....is it FF ? (doesn't happen on IE) or the DX10 drivers ? (may work correctly if they tested FF DX10 layers on nvidia, but broken on AMD)

Me...I just leave DX10 layers on and put it down to a FF bug/quirk.

I'll play around with FF layers settings some more and see if I can come to a better solution without a speed penalty....leave it with me.

::Edit::

Yes,

layers.composer2d.enabled = true is a better workaround instead.

The text corrupts for a brief moment, but then updates itself and fixes it.

This is better than completely trashing DX10 layers use.

Set that above and turn layers.prefer-d3d9 back to false.

Fixed....and no speed loss. I knew it was FF layers that was stuffed all along.

The current component's in the drivers atm fix HW accelerated rending in IE, which i'm reluctant to change see :

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4392466&postcount=20

From 23/08 last year....my 12.6 Reloaded driver.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8GB
    sadly "layers.composer2d.enabled = true" doesnt work for me, same thing is happening again.

3. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Hmmm....

It's obviously a FF layers problem not a rendering problem with this driver since we proved that already by turning layers to DX9 fallback, and it also doesn't happen in IE using DX10 layers which rules out the driver.

Time for you to fill out a FF bug report, there isn't anything else or more that I can do about it except to turn off DX10 layers in FF (which isn't really a solution), the FF layers bug manifests itself in all the normal drivers as well that I've tested.

I've always "lived" with the problem in FF all along. It's not on every site, just layers heavy ones.

It may just be they are doing FF testing on modern cards and modern drivers where the bug doesn't show itself.

If i find another way in the meantime, i'll let you know, but I suspect the problem lies with FF.

4. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8GB
    by normal i understand you mean official amd ones, right?

well as i said earlier the first time my eye caught this in my life (i got the gpu from almost when it got released and i update drivers regularly) was with your driver at post #170

thats kinda contradicting to what you say above but... well... thats my experience with the matter!

[well amd ended support for us, why should firefox keep it? :p ]

5. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Put on some old AMD drivers, say 10.4, and you'll notice the same thing in FF.

Trust me i'm a doctor.... :)

It's been in there the FF scrolling layers corruption since time began.

6. MichaelT

MichaelT Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970m 3GB
    Try azure setting instead

Try "gfx.content.azure.enabled = false"

This has been the workaround for me in firefox for text corruption for a long time. I have filed bugs with mozilla also, but they simply blacklist the driver to avoid fixing the bugs.

7. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
  8. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8GB
    yep that did the trick!

but what is that setting and what it changes? (i dont want to loose any speed for this tiny bug)

so they should have blacklisted all the drivers :banana:

update: well in the link kev provided they say a patch will be made and probably be fixed at v18... well well... we are at 19 now -.-'' :bang:

9. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    The bug was fixed in FF 17.0.1 but resurfaced in 18.

That probably explains the reason why you did not see it... :)

But it's been there for a long time.

10. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8GB
    but still... shouldnt have i spotted it for as long ff 18 is available? (or from 17 and before, see i always update asap...), am i so unlucky/lucky that i only spotted it now?

well i dont say that to disagree just trying to understand what is happening.
    strange staff :p

well at least we are sure its a firefox bug and happens with both nvidia and amd, that sets me to rest.

11. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Its related to font smoothing and cleartype settings in windows, and in certain settings cases of either or both it bugs out FF.

Sooooo......................It's not a driver bug... :)

This modded driver actually fixes HW rendering in crossfire in IE as a bonus. Did your read the 12.6R post...? :banana:

I spent six months testing all this kind of stuff, so others don't have to. :whip:

12. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Kev, this Firefox fix works nicely on Windows 8...I can Finally 60 Fps again instead of 23 when using Hardware Acceleration Stress Test.

Other Thoughts
    I think I may have found a way to make games play smoother. I implemented the method in Beta 4 of my driver, if you have time I would like you to test it to confirm whether or not the method works.

13. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8GB
    yep i read it... i was like :O

good thing we "legacy" users have you...

i can only say.... nice job there mate! they should hire you!!! (if they have enough to pay you xD )

14. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I'm not going to test it or try it because please understand why....

Since I finished up with making drivers apart from re-integrating mobility for the moaners, my system has had a clean OS re-install after the dumping ground it became fixing **** and it became incredibly slow over several months testing/fixing drivers and repeated tweaking of drivers and repeated install/de-install of many drivers and applications over the last 6 months to the point of becoming like treacle with all the Windows installation slowdown creep.

This was my main work system it were done on, not some backup machine.

Now I run from a clean system refresh with only the one driver. I don't want to have to reach for ATIMan anymore since it wipes out the Windows 7 default drivers and fails the SFC /scannow checks.

15. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Ok I understand. I need to make some changes to the INF files for Windows 7 and Vista users. I just found 2 reference that would cause the driver not to install on those Operating system.

I guess I got a bit excited. Anyways thanks for putting in all the hard work for legacy users. Ever since I became a member of Guru 3d I learned a lot about Amd Users and also there drivers. I really appreciate the work and support members of Guru 3d provide to AMD users.

16. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    This would be a complete and utter disaster for them in logistics...

Let's suppose in the fantasy world hypothetically if I *were* a bug tester for AMD Catalyst, the drivers would NEVER ever get out the door...

I'd be saying things all the time like "there's no way you can release this crap yet, it barely works."

Their engineers would be shall we say in "extreme discomfort". And there would be proper regression testing to make sure that fixed things stay fixed.

And I would completely empty the graphics driver division coffers on testing alone, not tea and biscuits and shaking hands.

Because I'm old school from the days where there was no memory protection, and if you didn't do things properly to start with and without adding bloat to apps you crash and burned. :)

Today, memory protection and oodles of ram just encourages lazy programming.

17. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
  18. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    currently on 12.6l, vista64, 4870x2, FF18, dx10 not dx9 in about:support, loaded the greek page.... no issue!

19. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    It involves more than just "loading the page"... :)

Font rendering bugs when scrolling has been in FF a long time since they changed from cairo to azure rendering around 4.x, not just on AMD but Nvidia hardware also.

There are hundreds of threads about this blurry font problem if you google it, but one thing is clear...it's not the drivers to blame from AMD nor NVidia nor Intel for those affected by it... :)

Official drivers, modded drivers, or even different hardware with different drivers altogether....makes no difference to it.

That's why the content.azure.enabled=false switch cures the relevant problem nicely with no penalty.

Maybe Vista does something differently with the fonts smoothing/clear type+FF and your settings of them both in the OS, since seeing the bug or not has relevance to those settings.

It's 100% certain a FF font rendering issue with the azure renderer...the link about the bug above isn't lying.

They fixed it in 17.0.1, but for some the implemented fix still didn't work, and it's back in full swing doing the rounds again in 18.x

I'm on Waterfox x64 instead, but it's exactly the same problem as FF, with a simple fix for what is ultimately a FF issue as MichealT suggested.

I've had the bug all along, even using unmodified official drivers, but just put it down to a FF rendering quirk (which it is) and never bothered or cared much about it.

I never really took the time to check it out before in depth because it wasn't such a big deal...just a glitch, and FF isn't my main browser.

20. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Look, I was experiencing some scrolling lag in Firefox in Windows 7 (and black textures glitches when resizing an aero window) with the AMD 13.1 driver. The 2009 generic driver gave me some fantastic fps in css (higher than any other driver) but It didn't have CCC/opengl. So I ran the default catalyst uninstaller, then atiman (which did not kill AMD's generic driver!). I uninstalled the 2009 driver in device manager, then I used driver fusion. NO AMD-related dlls were left in my system, only a few, strange, "empty" registry keys (I checked all of them). I did put 13.1 again, and voilĂ ! Firefox was wicked fast, with 0 lag on flash player (in youtube, the video controls now load instantly. I only use windowed mode. Cpu usage: 1%).
    The official driver has all the basic stuff to run, even when your OS has been wiped out.