680 cards really the 660

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Dragam, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragam

Dragam Guest

GPU:
    Msi gtx 680 sli
    Am i the only one who is somewhat pissed, that we were sold 660 cards, branded as a 680 ?

I know it has never been admitted by nvidia, but everyone knows its true, and its easily seen by the data

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_560_ti_review,2.html
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_titan_review,3.html

The 680 is an obvious contiuation of the 560, with same watt, same amount of rof units, same amount of multistreaming processors... where as the titan is obviously the continuation of the 580 card.

Honestly it pisses me off that nvidia are screwing over the consumers, by selling a mid card at a premium price.

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    wtf are you on about?

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    a 560 ti review is proof that a 680 is a 660? maybe he works for nvidia and he is a whistleblower?:3eyes:

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    oh man, I love this forum. sometimes, it makes me think "wtf"? this is one of those moments.

5. Dragam

Dragam Guest

GPU:
    Msi gtx 680 sli
    No - but the data strongly suggest that what nvidia named the 680, was originally surposed to be the 660.

If you look at the 480 > 580 > titan, they all have 14-16 smx, 48 rof units, 384 bit bus and a tdp of roughly 250w.

Now the 680 card got those numbers drastically decreased to 8 smx, 32 rof units, 256 bit bus and a tdp of 170w... the exact same numbers as the 460 and 560 cards... coincidence? I think not.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Erm, newer designs are advances on old designs.
    Having a paddy because you dont understand things makes you look a bit foolish ya think?

7. Dragam

Dragam Guest

GPU:
    Msi gtx 680 sli
    Sure, thats why the titan picks up the same numbers as the 580 card for the mentioned values... so right back at you.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You have... seen the benchmarks?
    Do you understand how they keep the power use of newer releases/generations down?

Something that may interest you.
    My house has the same number of rooms as my friends house.
    They both have 2 floors, the same number of doors, 1 roof, 2 gardens, same number of taps, sinks and baths.
    Yet his house is a lot bigger.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    the rumor was the 670 was released as the 680. now it that were true 680 was gk110 why was the tesla cards just released a couple months ago and not in march 2012. surely they would be ready in march 2012. selling $3000+ cards probably has a lot of profit involved. Now the rumor that gk104 is midrange may be true, but if I were on death row, you would be the last person I would pick to be my lawyer. you thoughts on the subject is kinda vault of fail material or at best cringe worthy

10. Dragam

Dragam Guest

GPU:
    Msi gtx 680 sli
    That its faster in benchmarks does in no way mean that the current 680 card wasnt meant to be the 660 card originally, and the titan surposed to be 680.

The increase in performance is largely due to improvements in architecture and mhz on core + mem... much like the 460 was faster than the 280 card, due to improvements in architecture and speed increasements.

But as said, the decrease in rof units, smx and bus bit, aswell as it being 104gk STRONGLY suggest that nvidia did infact give us what was at first intended to be a mid range product, at a premium price.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

11. Dragam

Dragam Guest

GPU:
    Msi gtx 680 sli
    Thats a shame, i would have loved to send you to your death.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    This was obvious from the get go.

GK104 = mid-range

To nVidia the HD 7970 was a complete failure. AMD's high-end card was getting whooped by Nvidia's mid-range.

So instead humiliating AMD by dominating their whole lineup with a $300 mid-range they saved them by releasing the GTX 660 as a GTX 680...

Then Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs lived happily ever after in Never Everland...THE END.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    All cards are based on previous designs.
    There will be similarities, but they are not the same.
    You dont even understand how power requirements can change.

14. Dragam

Dragam Guest

GPU:
    Msi gtx 680 sli
    Thats your argument? That I dont understand how power reqruirements can change? Dear god...

Not only is it irrelevant, but you dont come up with any info to disprove my theory.

15. Dragam

Dragam Guest

GPU:
    Msi gtx 680 sli

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    No, my argument is that you have no clue what your talking about in any regard.

Its not a surprise that there are similarities between old and new designs.
    You must be pretty new to this to have a problem with it.
    Power requirements of advancing generations for the same design will drop, allowing them to double up (or more) many parts of the GPUs design.
    In order to double up parts of the design, they must be based on a design previously used.

Dear god lol.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I think that would be the easier way out than reading your posts. quick painless ending or reading you unsubstatiated hairbrained thoughts. now which option is more gruesome?

18. Dragam

Dragam Guest

GPU:
    Msi gtx 680 sli
    Yeah, thats nice, except thats not what this thread is about.

And if it was true that they were moving away from using the mentioned values due to "advancing generations", then why would they go back to using the exact same numbers for the mentioned values on the titan, as they did on the 580?

Thats cause the titan was surposed to be the 680...

Everyone and their blind grandma's can see it... but there seem to be a few haters in this thread, that mostly just wants me to be wrong.

19. Dragam

Dragam Guest

GPU:
    Msi gtx 680 sli
    Then here is an easy solution for you - piss out of my thread, and dont ever write to me again. Kthxbye.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You dont even understand what you have written lol.
    Your thread is about people being ripped off because they have been sold old designs.
    Yet new cards are based on old designs, but they are not the same.
    The cards you compared are nowhere near the same level of performance.

So what if a design gets moved to a different card than was initially intended.
    As long as there is good enough reason to buy it, there isnt a problem.
    After all, if it isnt worth buying, it wont sell well.

Just because "some" of the design parameters are the same, doesnt mean jack when other parts of the design have been changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.