Is win 8 worth it?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by J.B.west, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Keeping it simple, yes... Love Win8. Most who don't like change are the ones who complain the most. Or ones who hear others complain and jump on that bandwagon, OR tried it for 2 hours.

With that being said, decide what you want, like 7 stay with it, but take a good look at 8, give it a good try and see if it floats your boat. Only you can make that final decision if its right for you. Peace

2. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I think it great.

boots fast,almost near instant login.
    last time I ran windows 7, it took a long time to login with the same programs and services as I do on windows 8.

no aero to slow down games, plus no aero mean no slow gui when apps dont support aero.

of course some bugs with some games. but eh.. its a new os. same as when windows 7 first came out.

cool task manager. I like how it show disk usage for each process running along with internet usage.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Something wasnt right with your setup if Aero was causing a slow GUI.
    Lack of Aero is one of the bigger reasons why I dont like Windows 8.
    Its ace on W7, W8 looks like XP.

The only issue I have seen with Aero is very occasionally, closing a game mentions that Aero may have a performance issue.
    The reality being there is no performance issue and it can be ignored.

Win7 on an SSD is very rapid booting.
    Fast booting is a none issue.

4. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I meant if an application caused windows aero to go to basic mode. windows gui would be slow

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I see.
    Which apps cause that?

I havent seen it go into basic mode unless I tell a shortcut to disable Desktop Composition.
    I use this for Crysis 3 to get all the video ram back, but when the game is quit, Aero returns to normal and runs great.

6. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Currently I wouldn't pay for it. There are more bugs and more things which do not work, simply because most things are made for Windows 7.

7. phoeniks314

phoeniks314 Guest

GPU:
    GTX750
    I was on W8 since launch and i just installed windows 7 fresh and deleted W8. I have a ****ty pc maybe that's the reason but i had massive slowdowns in chrome with 7-10 tabs open + working in photoshop jeez switching between ps and chrome sometimes i had to wait 10sec+ for the window to show up (on w7 never, never any slowdowns) i couldn't stand it anymore and deleted it, have not used metro at all. Sometimes i needed to launch something like cmd and i had to go back to metro,cmd,right click,launc,back on desktop and all this every time it really started to annoy me...well try it out and see for yourself i'm now on 7 and i fell free like a bird:) lol seriusly

8. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Such as? No issues with anything on windows 8 here.

9. dabrooks

dabrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX 980Ti Gaming
    Same here. I have tons of software (including dozens of games) and many different peripheral devices, absolutely zero issues with functionality. Frankly I had more of a driver issue moving to Vista/Win7 than this move to Win8. Very pleased.

10. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Powercoler graphic utility doesn't work.
    Downsampling doesn't work.
    Sandisk mp3-player firmware updater doesn't work

Creative drivers and logitech drivers do not always remember settings.

And I don't have the energy to figure out how to get Batman Arkham City to work on Win8, because there is no GFWL (which I hate).

11. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Just install the latest version of GFWL and it will work just fine. ;)

12. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Still too many problems with it.

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Windows 8 is uglier. For some reason Microsoft have decided to strip back the UI to be considerably more plain, and it just doesn't look as nice. The white/off-white them they have gone to is really terrible, and this theme is very evident in Office 2013 running on Windows 8. I strongly recommend against it! It is not pleasant to work with over time because it is basically too bright! It is much easier to read what's on the screen when there is less superfluous light from the site panels, top of the screen etc. Having contrast between the panels, even like Office 2010 with Aero, is much nicer to use.

I mention Office because it shows a trend. Apparently Windows 8 'blue' is going to be stripped even further of graphical elements, with a solid colour taskbar (instead of basic ,non-aero (non-alpha blended) taskbar etc. Windows 8 Blue is basically Windows 8 SP1, something which will basically be a requirement.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I have no issues with Creative or Logitech drivers remembering settings.

GFWL was replaced by Xbox Live.

If you're referring to Powercolor's overclocking utility...just download MSI Afterburner, it works just fine.

15. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I have no problem running batman arkham city in windows 8.

actually all my games that ran in windows 7 run great in windows 8

I have this generic brand video camera/regular camera/web camera.

it 8 mega pixel and I swear it takes clearer pictures then my kodak 14 megapixel

and the webcam part is very clear as well,but........

the company doesnt make 64bit drivers for it. :bang: and windows doesnt use generic drivers for it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

16. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    If you have Win7, I see no point in upgrading to Win8.

17. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    but you cant play pinball fx in windows 7........:(

18. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    I like Windows 8. But you will need some time to get used to it.

19. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    Here is the way I see it.

There is poor driver support for win 8, especially for hardware a few years old.

Most people seem to hate the tile interface, there are ways around it, however.

That said, it does seem to be slightly lighter load of an os and does seem to boot a little faster also.

For $15 upgrade or a $40 disk, it could be worth playing with-NOT AS PRIMARY computer.

Long and short of it is no, you just don't get much worth it, not like going from vista to win 7 which was a HUGE improvement.

20. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    It is if you get it for free or with a nice discount. Its basically a stripped version of W7... with a couple of annoying new functions which can be easily disabled. Gaming wise, windows 7 and 8 are the same (performance wise).