Performance Tweaks

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by Von Dach, Aug 28, 2010.

1. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    fair enough...kinda :)

2. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    And greating to Russia! I've been there with my father (as tourists) when I was 14 years old. Loved it, it was in the time of CCCP and Perestroika and Gorbachev.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  3. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Hehe...good you like it ;) ...and thanks.
    As a "russian" - don't like though...it's just too cold for my taste in Moscow here...not all the time as it would imagined by most of the world (americans mostly ;) ), but the winter is just unbearable long and lousy (as is in most of the Canada I presume) - hate it...wanna live somewhere in warm and hot places, like in Australia...or Sahara desert XD

..."Greeting" to Canada as well! :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  4. CCoR-

CCoR- Active Member

GPU:
    AMD ASUS Strix RX580 8GB
    Hey von thanks for the tweaks, really helped squeeze out even more performance from my system :) ! Just wanted to know if you could assist me in having your tweaks but with windows Aero enabled? What services in the "L" bat need to be enabled??

I'm a sucker for eye candy and just miss my windows 7 theme too much :(

TY

5. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Sure.

In the "Services - Tweaked Lx" of your choice, edit lines with UxSms and Themes to "auto".

If it still not work good, edit "Registry AIO - Tweaked" with this:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]
    "Composition"=dword:00000001

6. CCoR-

CCoR- Active Member

GPU:
    AMD ASUS Strix RX580 8GB
    Yup that did! Thanks again!

7. WoKeN

WoKeN Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 680 4GB
    Do your tweaks disable indexing?

Does it matter or not if I have "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" checked off in my drive (c:, d:, etc) with your tweaks?

Should i just uncheck it or no?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  8. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @Von Dach,
    I found an error with some of your tweaks. Apparently, Media Center services disabler and Media Center scheduler tweaks have an issue with Catalyst drivers. CCC shows the "error" warning after install process completion...but without any description in logs. I've got an "error" regardless which tweaks I use or just those that causes the error. I've tested this with Catalyst 12.10/ 12.10 Chipset drivers/ 12.11/ 13.1/ 13.1 Chipset drivers/ 13.2beta6 - same thing. On first sign all working just fine, but I didn't tested thoroughly for stability and operability or which particular param in those tweaks causes this, so...

I think, you need to check this out and such :)
    ...or someone with just an ATI card.

PS. but maybe, it's because I don't have a Media Center installed on my OS on the first place (removed after OS installation) :) - standart uninstall via Win uninstaller; with services/ scheduler in present.

9. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @Von Dach,
    Also, I've read your suggestions about "...disabling HPET it's a good thing" - but why? I've read many threads about how HPET actually helps with latency and such...for me, if i have disable it, than I've got an 1-5 FPS loss and micro stuttering on many games like Skyrim, BF3; MWO, etc. Also, I really can't tell why, but after enabling HPET/ platformclock my win.timer automatically sets itself to 1ms :3eyes: ...bites me, I didn't figure out it yet. So, in my case I don't have any advantages (if any) by using tools which sets it to 0.5ms :(

Also, many-many moons ago I've read many thread (msdn) about how the low static win.timers are really bad for OS and such ...so, where is the truth I wonder?..for gaming I mean. Cause, kinda I'm not into gaming, but since from recently... :)

10. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    @WoKen
    Yes it disable indexing because Windows Search service is disabled.
    If you untick "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" and click ignore to continue, you are clearing what is already indexed.

@fr33jack
    Media Center: I'm not sure exactly what you are saying but if you uninstalled it from Windows Features, the services and the tasks scheduled should not be there anyway.
    And AMD CCC, you should just stop it from autostarting, it's a useless process when you are done changing settings.

EDIT: Ok I understand what you mean, Media Center services disabler is a old personal goodie not updated, WMI was disabled in it, CCC need WMI.

HPET: The best setting is HPET On in BIOS, no useplatformclock parameter, Disabledynamicktick Yes (Win8 Only) and Set Timer Resolution 1.2 running in the background.

You should check the Nvidia Drivers Section even if you have an AMD card, sometime discussions are applicable to all.
    We did discuss that past few days in this thread: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=374210&page=15
    Also Vbs know a lot about that topic, you should review his posts: http://forums.guru3d.com/search.php?searchid=4560010
    Because of invariant TSC I thought we could turn HPET off but as you'll read in those posts, it's still very much used and important for performance and smoothness.

Set Timer Resolution 1.2 http://www.lucashale.com/timer-resolution/

@All
    I previously said we needed Multimedia Class Scheduler (MMCSS) to be issues free with sound cards.
    I was wrong, it can be safely disabled in services.
    My issue is related to BF3's Battlelog inverting my in-game sound channels when used to talk with my squad. EA bug.

Also I don't implement TcpAckFrequency because the subkey is variable for every network connection and it reduce max download and upload speed.
    But it does improve multiplayer gaming hit registration fidelity.

So if you want it, use PingEnhancer 2.0a for that.
    I use it for gaming sessions and reboot with default when I want my max internet speed.
    http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=16336
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

11. WoKeN

WoKeN Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 680 4GB
    Hey Von Dach, did you by any chance disable remote access connection manager in your tweaks?

I'm trying to use a VPN to play a game and I get an error 711 every time I try to use it

12. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    In level 4 yes for sure.

Maybe not operational in L3 and L2 too, there is a lot of factors in play, you have to try them.

Or go L1 or Defaults, just one reboot away.

You don't have to go default for everything, just change of Services file.

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Von Dach, I downloaded your latest optimization kit. For a start I can implement PowerShell script which will get any reg-file with tweaks ('Registry All-In-One - Tweaked.reg' for example) as an input, parse it, and do generate the backup file (either reg-file like 'Registry All-In-One - backup.reg' or PS script file like 'Registry All-In-One - backup.ps1') that users can use to rollback all tweaks.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  14. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So is it safe to disable Multimedia Class Scheduler in Windows 8 ?

15. Spankycz

Spankycz New Member

GPU:
    560GTX-Ti Hawk No OC
    Yes:banana:

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Von Dach, first utility is ready:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?vskg56ad2w13l9v

It is PowerShell script that parses any reg-file and creates its 'backup copy' with current value (and state in case of absent properties) of all registry properties mentioned in original reg-file. Usefull safety step before merge of the tweaks from reg-file into OS registry.

You place default- and tweak-files (cmd and reg) into your optimization kit. But default-file can differ from OS properties actual values so I just added backup-function.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Free community versions of set timer resolution tool:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4539837&postcount=330
    - console app

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4541126&postcount=374
    - system service

Just compile these with csc.exe on your rigs...

Edit: Next utility will be script for the same backup function as Backup-RegistryValues.ps1 but for the Von Dach`s system services tweaks.

Edit 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?vskg56ad2w13l9v PowerShell script was updated to handle default property of registry key (in case if its value is chanched in reg-file).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  18. h4nni

h4nni Guest

GPU:
    -
    Tried L3 and FIFA 13 didn't launch. Turns out the reason is "Event Log" service. Don't disable it if you want to play FIFA 13.

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Second utility is ready:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?zwal8x4hzav18wq

It is PowerShell script that parses cmd-file with system services start type and depends-on list tweaks (like 'Services - Tweaked L1.cmd') and creates its 'backup copy' with current states of start type and depends-on list of all system services mentioned in original cmd-file. Usefull safety step before applying the tweaks from cmd-file to system services.

Edit: Von Dach, following two lines do the same thing:

REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\AudioSrv /v DependOnService /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d AudioEndpointBuilder\0RpcSs /f

sc config AudioSrv depend= RpcSs/AudioEndpointBuilder

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  20. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    @mbk1969
    Nice work, I may not log in regularly, my mind is elsewhere currently.
    So feel free to treat the thread as your own for the benefit of all.

And I thank you in theirs names. :thumbup: