NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan preview [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 19, 2013.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Ultimately, Nvidia may be after something more with the Titan. Its a statement product. I think they may want to solidify brand recognition, by producing the fastest, best GPUs made. If at a high price, so be it, that may have an appeal in itself, as it infers quality. Similar to Intels i7-3960x CPU which sells at the same price, but no one is calling that a fail.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Can't say i enjoy that side anymore, but PC gaming is very much about paying large amount of money for the best gear around, it was never the best value for money.

You wan't the best price/performance for gaming, buy a console.

3. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Well tbh, looking at the entire card, it looks like everything breathes more "quality", so it's not just performance alone.

4. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    According to the Guru3D review, it is almost twice as fast as a 680 in Hitman at 1600P (and much better than 25% in other games as well at 1600P).

[​IMG]

I wouldn't call that a 'massive fail', but to each their own bud :)

I'll grant you that it is expensive - but luxury items usually are.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

5. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Upcoming drivers will only increase performance too, in some of the benchmarks there looks like there is some untapped power.
    Compared to the 690 it doesn't seem to be that expensive considering the close performance. It comes with a lot more memory, higher bandwidth, unlocked voltage and DP performance.
    Still wouldn't mind seeing a hundred or two to be knocked off.

6. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Me too bud, the price is a little steep but ultimately, this is the crème de la crème of enthusiast hardware :D

7. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
  8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yup, and there was a massive thread full of, its crap, massive fail ect... ect..., so id expect the same here, as whats good for one, is good for the other, in fact, this is actually even worse than that when you think about it, as the 7970 was nowhere near £540 quid more than a 580 when it came out.

We can all say its a great card when the drivers mature, like we all did with the 7970, but until then, its an utter crap card.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    no step up from my cards to the titan, glad I didnt get the extended warranty. damn glad I got the 4gb 680`s looking at the vram usage at 1920x1200 8x aa of crysis 3

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    TBH 2x680s 4GB are damn fine cards.

If i had those there is no way i would change them for Titan x2 and be at a loss.

I really liked Titan when it first appeared but after researching it more its a bit of a hit and miss especially for the price.

The TDP limit is 106% of Titans base TDP of 250W, or 265W. So it dont matter what you throw at Titan or how you cool it, it will not let itself pull more than 265W sustained which could really limit its potential in reality compared to what it sounded like on paper.

Something new will be out soon and Titan will be old tech, Im not convinced on the OC capability of Titan regarding the Voltage tbh and for that price for a single gpu i would expect more.

The 837-876 (boost) core is just crap tbh.

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    thats if it cant be flashed to higher, you need some cards out in the wild to be sure. I went from 130 to 150 and tbh I am not seeing much over 100% in gaming and benching, at 1306 the power target really goes up.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's definetly a good card, but as people have pointed out to me even at super high resolutions it's not even as good as i was expecting and i was not expecting much.
    Who knows, maybe it will come into it's own with the next gen of games, but i kinda doubt it, and i'm still sold on the awesome value of the 2 x 7950 cards i was looking at earlier in the week.

CF scaling dependent it's faster than Titan, half the price of Titan and comes with 12 free games that i can either keep or give away.

3GB Vram is enough for 19x10 for a good while, and this card can move into the bedroom so the GF can play The Sims.

I'm a fan of Nvidia and how they conduct their business, but only if they can keep supporting PC game development like they have over the previous few years.
    If AMD are putting their name to more PC games, giving expensive PC games away with cards, and bring out much cheaper cards, it really hard to not be tempted.

13. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    What makes it an "utter crap card" exactly?
    For $100 more than the 690 you get similar performance, which will more than likely increase in the future considering their are benchmarks with it passing the 690, a lot more vram, unlocked voltage and unmatched double precision compute performance. Sure those things aren't useful to the average user, but this card isn't really for the average user. To me those features sure put Titan > 690. There's nothing really "utter crap" about the card.

14. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    QFT^^

Too many people are judging this as a mainstream card.

It's a luxury card aimed at enthusiasts and it is priced accordingly.

Nothing about it is 'utter crap' imho.

Sure, we'd all like it to be cheaper, just like I wish I could pick up a Zonda for $40,000 ;)

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    someone is mad

the thing is, 680 sli is way too slow for 8XAA for crysis 3 unless you run low settings

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It does make me laugh that we have had 12 months of this is the real GTX680, and then when it comes out and it looks like a Tesla card adapted into a gaming card people fall back and bad mouth it.

Internet nonsense hyped this card up, and Nvidia sorted GK110 and released these gullible people would buy this card, people need to stop doing this crap unless they work for Nvidia.

17. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Poor analogy. A Zonda won't depreciate anywhere near as fast and is built with premium parts from the ground up. It's a bad buy however you slice it, regardless of whether the buyer is wealthy or not.

18. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Ok, a Mustang for $400.00 ;)

PS: The Titan is built from 'premium' parts but whatever, some people just love to argue.

My point was pretty obvious.

19. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Isn't that what the internet is for? ;)

Well, I will be diplomatic and agree with you that Titan certainly is not a piece of crap and I would happily trade in my 7970 for one, plus $150 worth of Lucky Charms.

20. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Cheers,

I agree, it is expensive - but I think it is aimed squarely at enthusiasts who are happy to pay the premium.

Enthusiasts in any sphere are usually happy to pay the premium, no matter how ridiculous it may be :D