Microsoft patched 57 vulnerabilities

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    For those that don't have automatic updates activated, you might want to do it manually this week. Microsoft is using this week's Patch Tuesday to fix no less than 57 security vulnerabilities via 1...

Microsoft patched 57 vulnerabilities

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Thanks for the heads up. Downloading them now.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    57 down, 9001 to go.

4. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I don't really do windows updates, i'm on the basic build 7600 or whatever it's called, i especially stay clear of any security updates. Don't get me wrong if microsnoop wasn't a corporate monster intent on seeing the world in flames it'd be a different story.
    *not giving advice, only chatting. :)

5. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super

I am the opposite I scan for updates and cant wait to get them installed, I don't worry about snooping as I don't do anything on my PC that I shouldn't.
    as were only chatting what do you do on your PC that you don't want microsnoop to see.

P.S
    I don't work for microsnoop

P.S.S
    but if someone from microsnoop needed some plumbing work I would do it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  6. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    huh?
    i always call them this name, it's not really the reason i don't do updates, i don't do updates because Bill works for the bads guys, and so did his pappy.
    Windows was given to bill, of course.

7. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    ok cool enjoy not worrying if an updates might break something its ok if they fix something................

i am delaying going to work I just don't enjoy blocked toilets

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Then you should really switch to another OS and for your own sanity, disconnect from the internet.

9. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    yeah i done benching service pack 1 vs basic build a long while ago, gained around 0.6 fps
    What do they fix? the pricing on windows 8?, the utter fail that it is.
    Get a firewall, job done.

10. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I could do with a firewall on blocked toilets to stop the **** getting through

11. OhTyrone

OhTyrone Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Wasn't that the problem in the first place?

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The security fixes are nice and all (And sometimes really important, how many times have they updated the Flash Player for IE10 on Windows 8 by now? plus the bundled IE10 security updates.) but I prefer the OS updates, enhancements and compatibility fixes. :)
    (Sometimes also adds new features or functions.)

There were three of them this month I believe, mostly tied to that larger update bundle.
    (Stability and compatibility fixes for Windows 8 or what it was called.)

I download the hotfixes manually though and keep up to date that way, usually means a number of files get downloaded that they keep as request only and don't put up on Windows / Microsoft update directly.
    (And via one of Windows 8 new functions I can also uninstall the old superseded ones, not really much point but keeps things tidy.)

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSE got updated too.

14. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    dont know what happened but...

I installed the updates. needed to reboot ok. restarting. configuring updates....blue screen saying something happend and it was readyboost fault, crash dump. restart. boots ups, configuring updates, finished,restarting. booting up and now fine.

I dont know what happened there but system still works.

flash player now says 11.6 in internet explorer

15. Solid_State

Solid_State Guest

GPU:
    5870 VF3000A / GT430
    Applied updates then restart was requested but when it loaded up I noticed the shutdown PC to applied updates on the start menu.

So a restart and a shutdown was needed.

16. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Also Adobe updates to AIR, Shockwave and Flash. Adobe Reader has a new 0 Day floating around speaking of.

They're security updates and bug fixes. If you don't update you're ironically at risk for people that really WILL use your unpatched system with all sorts of malicious exploits, spying included.

Either you have rocks in your head or should invest in a pet rock instead of a computer if you truly believe these updates are Microsoft being malicious. I suggest you use a flavor of Linux and learn to read source code if it bothers you that much and aren't truly just joking.

edit

A firewall won't help you if a outdated service from Windows is whitelisted in the firewall rules.

edit

wait, I bet he doesn't update cause he's using a pirated copy. All the same, using an unpatched OS is a security nightmare.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    True, there are alot worse people out there than MS when it comes to snooping and they are the one who are just waiting to prey on the people to ignore the security updates.

Good to know, i have mine disabled as i'm mostly on the HTPC partition, but only cause it can be a nuisance.