Folding@Home - Join The Fight!

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    I'll pop another 100 or WU's through it see how it goes

2. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Haven't folded in a while having a huge savings drive at home so cutting back a bit..... ive temporarily removed my sig, but will be back in the game in the new year.... If you keep my sig space open, i'll promise not to abuse it, and re-employ my sig when i start folding again!!

3. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Hey mate, its not an issue at all :) Hope to see you folding again soon!

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I was actually wondering how I managed to catch you... I hadn't really done any folding since Aug 2010 up until November. Hope to see you back at it soon.

5. Titan29

Titan29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 | 7900XTX
    Just joined the team. Using V7.1.52 client. I do not intend to go 24/7 but will fold as much as I could.

Noticed that the GPUs are folding a lot slower than the CPU. Do I only use the CPU for now?

6. Kaktus

Kaktus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    Welcome to the team.
    Not sure about your question though, someone will chip in shortly i'm sure. :)

7. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI

hello and welcome Titan29
    gpu's and cpu's fold on completely different clients and therefore have different work unit's that fold and speed, complexity and get different points also most of the cpu's work get a bonus point for quick return time, hope that help :)

8. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Hey Guys, thought I'd jump back in (after a couple years of hiatus) and help out again.

But, so much has changed that I'm not even sure where I should be. The original setup thread has fairly outdated info and is pretty convoluted now, making it even harder to understand.

As of right now, I'm running this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks like it's jumped up a little since those snips, I'm currently lookint at 15100 for PPD and 30200 for estimated points per day.

Is this where I want to be with my rig? It's on 24/7 and serves as my daily driver, running my business during the day and doing nothing but pulling energy during the night.

I'm a *little* concerned about power consumption - not really put off by it, but I'll see what this next month's bill looks like. It's probably cheaper than heating this room during the winter anyway, right? LOL ;)
    I normally pull about 160W at idle, but with FAH running like in those screenshots, I'm puling 450W (exactly).
    Here's some more specs for you:
    [​IMG]
    (the system has been on for about 5 days straight without a reboot, which is why my memory usage is so high and why there's so many running processes...)
    Also, it's a misnomer that my PSU voltages are reading that way - I've multimetered my OCZ GameXtream 1010W, and it's just fine... it's not read correctly by this new x79 board.

So, am I where I'm doing the best that I can?
    I do, sometimes, get to a point where I have no choice but to pause FAH while I do some major work, but for the most part, I could theoretically leave it just like this for days on end. Could I do better?? Anything that YOU would change? And if so, what and how??

Thanks for any advice/input.
    Psychlone

9. iancook221188

GPU:
    yer your not far off, two things though you mite try just folding on the cpu as the gpu can take up some of it resource and slow it down as the amd client does not give as much ppd as the nvidia client and it save a bit of power.

have you run HFM.net monitoring program before it will give you a more accurate ppd estimate http://code.google.com/p/hfm-net/

were you folding at the time of the screen shot of task mangier cpu usage should be at 100%

10. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    He was only using his GPUs for folding; take a closer look at his F@H GUI screenshots.

CMIIW, but isn't 15K PPD for a 5970 a bit low?
    I mean, my 560 Ti can pull off around ~20K PPD.

11. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I was folding at the time of the screenshot... it's using 98% of my 5970 Engineering Sample and ~20% of the CPU.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So would I be better off using *just* the CPU version? (SMP and no GPU?)
    This is all new now - it's very little like it used to be back in the command-line days of folding, so I'm literally a newb at it now.

I have other machines - in fact, I was thinking about building another as a secondary server that I could stuff 2 MSI 8800 Ultras into and use it mostly for folding... just a thought. I've got 3 processors I could use, all are AMD. A 940BE, a 965BE and a 1090T. Seems a waste to use a 1090T in a system that isn't doing anything else, so I think I just might repatriate it to another build and sell it. But the 940BE and the 965BE can be utilized.

Given what you've seen and what I've said, please give suggestions as to what I could be doing better.
    I would almost rather run something on my personal rig (signature) that uses less wattage than where I'm at right now, but whatever gives the most performance - I'm all about giving right now. Right now, while folding, I'm pulling 450W... normal idle is < 160W. This room is literally 4*F hotter than the rest of the house and it's almost not acceptable. Not to mention, when I DO get a chance to do some gaming (which isn't very often), I will have to pause folding and likely reboot the computer to get out from under it's cache and heavy memory usage.
    I've got 16GB and after 6 days of constant use for my business and several programs - including F@H now, it's using up a hair over 9.5GB of memory.

Anyway, suggestions are definitely welcome. I want to be able to produce as much as I can with as little impact on my personal machine as possible. I'm not all about points, but points and performance literally go hand-in-hand and I understand the higher point value I get, the more work I've done. I just need to fine-tune what I've got (or what I'm about to do?) and get it working as efficiently as possible.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks!
    Psychlone

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  12. iancook221188

GPU:
    i don't relay know what the amd 5970's are ment to do in ppd wise all i know is at the moment they wont produce as much as there nvidia counterparts and use more cpu cycles that them to. the 3820 should be same ppd or a bit more than a 2600k do you have it overclock? the cpu's at the moment get better ppd per watt and i would not of thought the system would use more that 250w

my 2600k at 4.5 get form 19-38k depending on work unit running at the time i think the system is pulling 180w with an 8600gt gpu (not folding tho)

the 940BE and 965BE would get you around 8-15k each but dependant on clock speed

im not sure why your system is using so much ram, when folding my system does not use more than 4GB if i run any other program it just goes up then back down to normal usage after, that could be something to do with the AMD client for the gpu's but ive never heard anyone have those problem with those symptoms before

nvidia gpu are the best gpu's to run but i think for heat that they will kick out it not worth folding on them they mite do about 4-6k ppd each for the 8800s

13. Graek

Graek Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan xp sli Titan x 1
    I just put a new rig together(yay me) and was looking to download the gpu client but all the link are telling me access fordidden. Anyone else have this problem? If so anyone know another download link?

14. iancook221188

GPU:
  15. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Well after a few months of downtime I'm back into folding again with some new gear for a new year
    1: Asus Crosshair IV Formula
    2: Phenom II x4 965 @ 3.4GHz HT and NB at 2.4GHz
    3: Corsair Vengence LP DDR3-1600MHz 9-9-9-24 (no more touching the HSF with the dominator's heat spreader)

so I'll keep going for as long as I can afford the Power to do so

and hells teeth what happened to the GPU WU's I don't remember them taking so long to fold I used to be able to do 4~5 a day on each GPU now it's 1 a day

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013

16. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    If it is a Fermi or newer GPU then it does take long. However if is is a an older one, then you can still do a couple of them in a day.

17. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    both clients are ATI HD5770's but I now know why they take so long to fold a single WU it's because the Core_16 does not use my GPU's to to their fullest instead of folding at 98~99% load they sit at around 39~42% so only doing half what they should be....

I'm as yet undecided as to whether or not I'll continue to fold ....

oh and do the environment variables make any difference anymore or are they now made redundant by V7.xx client

18. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    If you think that using 39% - 42% of the GPUs might be costing you more electricity or isn't worth it, then my suggestion is that you can take a temporary break from folding on the AMD GPUs and save some money. You can always resume folding once the new FahCore will be released to the public after undergoing the beta testing so you can keep an eye on that thread to see how far we have progressed.

The environment variables are used by the FahCore_11 and aren't supported in FahCore_16 and I don't think will be even for the future FahCores.

19. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    any more news on how core_17 is coming along PantherX

20. iancook221188

GPU: