new 2013 pc build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Roccer, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Roccer

Roccer Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    finally after much deliberating, i pulled the trigger and ordered new parts for my new PC. this will replace the one in my sig currently. I should have everything in time to build it this coming weekend. here's what i finally went with:

Intel i7 3770K
    Asus Sabertooth Z77 (5 year warranty yes please!)
    G.Skill 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC1600 (9-9-9 timing)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW
    Kingston Hyper-X 90GB SSD (For OS/apps)
    Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD (For games)
    Western Digital Blue 1TB (for storage)
    Corsair 850w fully modular PSU (only $17 more than the 750 so why not)
    Corsair Hydro H110 (after reading Hilbert's recent review of it)
    Corsair 500R case

thanks to some giftcards from xmas i had laying around, some unspent money sitting in my paypal account, and some current deals on some of the parts, my "out of pocket" expense is just over half of what the MSRP would have been for everything direct from newegg.

hoping to get decently into the mid/upper 4Ghz range with it when all is said and done.

i had debated waiting for haswell, but with some upcoming events later this year, i didn't want to wait around till June to build a new PC.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Just remember the cooler's performance is limited by the poor TIM Intel has used between the core and the IHS. If you are really going for a high end cooler like the H110, removing the IHS, cleaning it up and replacing the TIM with something good would be exceptionally beneficial (risky though). It makes a massive difference when it comes to overclocking past around 4.4Ghz, so much so that a H110 would be wasted without doing it.

Have you noticed that under load the Corsair H110 performs the same as a Noctua NH-D14 air cooler? It's because it's basically reached the limits of the TIM. Mind you, I think in those tests the Noctua must have has good pressure against the CPU.

3. Roccer

Roccer Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    good points and i have looked into de-lidding the 3770k already to redo the TIM. if i do that, i doubt ill do any lapping of the IHS tho as gains there may be minimal. i almost got the NH-D14. but in the end, i figured i wanted to give the self contained water cooling option a try, plus it frees up a lot of space that the D14 would take up.

my only concern, obviously, with de-lidding would be damaging the chip itself during the removal process of the IHS.

4. Roccer

Roccer Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    dumb question. if i delid, what paste should i use for directly on the die? ive got some Arctice silver 5 laying around. that OK or should i get something non-conductive for under the IHS (like some NT-H1)?

thanks

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I would go non-conductive, do a search for TIM comparisons! I never had the guts to delid mine, you have to be so careful! I believe putting the lid back on after is the best bet, probably a more complex question is what glue to use to put the IHS back on. I don't necessarily agree with it sliding around loose, and I definitely don't agree with having no IHS at all. I really hope Intel do a proper job with Haswell.

6. Roccer

Roccer Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    that's what i was thinking (some non-conductive TIM) I'm thinking Tuniq TX4, but its thick as hell (but available locally). either that or ill order some Noctua NT-H1.

i think ill start off with the stock TIM and see how temps do. going with the H110 and the 500R case should at least make it relatively easy to pop the CPU off if i decide to delid down the road.

i also agree regarding re-gluing the IHS back as i don't want that moving. I've read some people using a VERY thin bead RTV black gasket sealer to re-seal it. seems pretty similar to whatever Intel used in the first place. just gotta remember to leave a slight gap so that its not air tight.

7. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 3GB DDR5
    Well done. It is a very nice pc you will surely enjoy.

8. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    One of the best would be Liquid Ultra or Pro.

9. Roccer

Roccer Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    All wired up and ready to test.
    had to mount the H110's radiator below the fans to get everything to fit due to the positioning of the motherboard and size of the H110. the fans on top are still set to pull air through the radiator and out of the case.
    [​IMG]