MSI Afterburner 2.3.1 (2013-01-23)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

No, voltages are not given and I was spreading the fake. Helping 6x0 owners to unlock anything above MSI/NV limitations was a complete waste of time and nerves. "Thanks".

2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Unwinder

Don't take my comment wrong way , I appreciate your help in giving as much unlocking ability as you can .

My comment was general one, I know some have tested voltages at core , I have to do good search I guess or test myself . It was not direct only towards you .

For sure if I max my voltage slider my power wattage goes way up, something like 10+ % of TDP watts , so something is being affected ,whether it gets to the core at above 1.175v is another issue (not your issue, the card).

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  3. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Well I had a good answer nevertheless, and since inserting that few lines into my card profile cfg file I am actually getting a wee tiny bit more voltage @1.185 solid on boost. Stock bios. Still using v2.2.3 This from just pasting in those few lines you pointed me to in post #76.

Not sure why, but it is just a little better and allows a good bit extra. Enough for me, as I am not looking to flash with KGB just yet.

Once again thank you for your time.

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    how are you reading voltage , from AB or GPU-Z ?

5. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I noticed a slight increase when using hwinfo, Openhardware Mon, GPU-Z. Only turning on on each time as to limit the polling to the GPU temps and voltages. AB has been working very well I must say.

I've been tweaking my rig all week using Crysis 3. Stock I can get 60fps in Crysis 3 on 'Very High (Ultra)' settings @ 1080p. 50fps down sampling @ 1440p, and 45fps @ 1620p. all below 62c, gpu fans 50%

OC'ed @ 1306Mhz core, about +600-650 Mem, +100 vcore, +50 vmem, +30 auxv. 65c - with extra case cooling and gpu cooling turned up. gpu fans 51%. I guess some further testing might allow for voltages to be lowered a little here and there.

gaining 8-10fps with the OC, more nearer 10fps. 70fps @1080p (very high-ultra) settings. And about the same @ 1440p.

I do like the downsampled look the best, 1440p seems to work best with just this one card. Although it can run ok with 1620p. No AA, and running SweetFX, or just FXAA and Sweet FX @ 1440p. Would love to try higher downsampling but need a 2nd 670 for this to play the game smoothly. If one pops up cheap then I might go for it.

One issue I am having and that is SweetFX in Crysis 3 does not like or want to work with FRAPS fps counter overlay or AB. I've not found a work around to display FPS and use SweetFX yet.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    So your definitely seeing higher core clocks with added vcore , that is good to know .
    I am just trying to figure whats going on with vcore reading and slider .

All the reviews seem to show it works (when 6xx was released) . I guess maybe GPU-Z and other might not be reporting exact voltages on PE cards ,so slider is adding vcore to a limit of 1.175v which bios sets limit .

what I think might be happening, is the GPU-Z and other app are reading the reference regulator voltage, this is the same thing the bios is capping .

Now on MSI PE cards they have another regulator adding a offset value (Unwinder says there no total voltage readout on this, just a added offset ) SO it just adds onto the capped 1.175v as I don't think bios can know on this one .
    That is just a guess cause why would Nvidia/ MSI worry about limiting 2.2.3 and above if it did nothing .

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  7. JulioCesarSF

JulioCesarSF Active Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX 780 Ti
    You can't use GPU-Z to see voltage. (read here: http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=165855.msg1214800#msg1214800)

Where or how i can download Afterburner Extreme, i need more voltage and i don't want to use ArtMoney.

AfterBurner APP iOS, when i select overclock option app close. iOS 6.1.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The MSI forum mod who said that is completely wrong. No surprises there...:rolleyes:

Fact is GPU-Z shows the actual voltage while AB shows the target voltage, Unwinder has clearly documented this in the readme files.

If your card has a CHiL 8228 vrm add the following lines to the AB cfg file under Settings:

VDDC_CHL8228_VIDReadback = 0
    MVDDC_CHL8228_VIDReadback = 0

This will make AB show the true voltage amount.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  9. Unwinder

He is right, you're mistaking. 670 PE doesn't use CHL8228, Hawk and PE series use additional specific VRMs, which are NOT supported by GPU-Z or any other monitoring softwarte and which have no voltage readback loop.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Oh well, I guess that makes me the idiot....:3eyes:

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I know, I am posted in that thread .

What I don't believe is right, is 2.2.3 or moded AB "will" increase voltage . Over there he is saying it will not .

So either GPU-Z and all the other apps are reading high/wrong even w/o AB altering voltage or AB is increasing voltage, cause the wattage is surely going up with correct AB version . I know you can't get right readout with the added voltage from any app .

Either way doesn't mater, I was just curious as to what going on . I am happy with my setting and don't plan on pushing OC much, there just not that much increase to merit it IMO, at least in 1600x1200 res I am stuck on .

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  12. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I can report that for me this new Aliens Colonial Marines, as bad and sort of 2005 basic as the game is. Well it really is optimised well with NV driver 313.96 and my 670 PE/OC, as I can hold a solid OC boost of 1330Mhz and +625 for 4 hours I played the game last night. Temp 65c @ 49% with extra fan below and 200mmm side fan and all case fans turned up a bit more. Very happy with this.

I stripped the 670 PE/OC down and lapped the heat sink a little and applied IC Diamond 24-Caret paste, also took the vram and power circuit heat spreader off and done the same there. I guess this is about my max on stock bios unless I fancy silly loud extreme fans or water cooling the gpu.

AB has performed very well, very stable no issues what so ever.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  13. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Sounds good . be careful with that IC Diamond paste . It can scratch the core face . maybe on GPU were HS is firmly screwed in place w/o movement it will be ok .

14. low351

low351 New Member

GPU:
    PNY 780GTX j
    I wish the ALT key worked as well, an alternative is to use the Caps Lock key, it's not perfect since if you decide to use chat you have to be aware if the Caps are on or off.

Another option which I haven't tried yet is to map a key on your mouse to an ALT+<key> then use it. But of course you'll need a macro enabled mouse. I have the Cosair Vengence M60 which is selling cheap now because the new M65s are out and the only difference is a jump in DPI which isn't much use since I already use lower than 5700 on the M60, but YMMV.

15. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Just wondering if there is a newer version of ab that might work with a card that will launch soon?
    Not into the other app you work on,but if i have no other option i will use that.

16. Unwinder

Sure. 3.0.0 beta is ready and it will be used in upcoming Guru3D review.
    Changes list includes:

• Ported to new VC++ compiler, new core and skin engine libraries with better extendibility
    • Added NVIDIA GPU Boost 2.0 technology support for NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan graphics cards:
    o Added slider for temperature limit adjustment
    o Added option for linked power limit and temperature limit adjustment
    o Added option for temperature limit prioritizing
    o Added maximum voltage adjustment
    • Improved skin engine, now skinned slider controls support curved paths defined by alpha channel. Skin format reference guide has been updated to v1.6 to document new slider types support
    • Fixed single tray icon mode functionality under Windows 8
    • Improved single tray icon mode handling. It is no longer necessary to restart application when toggling single tray icon mode
    • Now unofficial overclocking mode and official clock limits extension command line switch (XCL) for AMD graphics cards are accessible via GUI in “General” tab in “AMD compatibility properties” section
    • Now MSI Afterburner displays voltage regulator model and location information in “i” window
    • MSI On-Screen Display server has been upgraded to version 5.0.0. New version gives you the following improvements:
    o Ported to new VC++ compiler, new core and skin engine libraries with better extendibility

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Woohoo well all right thats great news

18. fgw

fgw Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX Lightning
    alex, is this indicating plugin support is on the way?

may be in one of the next releases?

19. Unwinder

Not in the nearest releases.

20. oOEvil1Oo

oOEvil1Oo Guest

GPU:
    2x 770 MSI Lightning
    OSD Issue

:bang: Ok I seen someone else post this. First I have no issues with my OSD or crashing in any other game. So When I Launch BF3 with OSD on I crash, I don't even get into the match. This is not a Blue screen crash, but I get either the driver has stopped or sometimes a DX error. No other games have this issue. FC3, CODBO2, BL2, Crysis 2, and so on I have no issues. I know this is not a OSD or Afterburner issue, or even a driver issue. If I disable OSD I can play all day with no issues at all. I just wish I could use OSD in BF3. My buddy has the exact same system with the exception of CPU he is on 2700k and I am on 3770k, but we both have this issue! Hell I even reinstalled Windows just to make sure!!! Thanks :bang:

Edit: Also I tried running Precision X and had the same issue with OSD!

Edit 2: Fixed! Ok Got it fixed!! Its punkbuster! If you have this issue you need to go to punkbuster website and manually update punkbuster for BF3, if you try the auto update it does not fix! The instructions on their website is good. Since the fix not a single crash! :banana:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013