PlayStation 4 priced at $399

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    A10-5800 makes more sense. The HD7670 is out of place, and even if it was a GDDR5 version the price premium would be insane over the 7660D. Unless i'm dreaming and they are going to run crossfire. :D

2. lieutenant

lieutenant Guest

GPU:
    quad-fire 7970ge
    I remember first rumors saying both ps4 and xbox720 would use mgpus.

:lmao! :rofl! :ffs! :banana: It reminds me how fragile rumors are lately !

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    After the joke/disaster the PS3 was I'm going to avoid the PS4. I bought a PS3 for some exclusives (and thinking FF13 would be exclusive, though the 360 port was crippled), but it wasn't worth the aggravation consoles cause.

And for the record I've seen plenty of PS3s YLoD in 1 year. I have one to my right hand side right now which died in 1 year (oven repaired).

4. lieutenant

lieutenant Guest

GPU:
    quad-fire 7970ge
    most xbox360 and ps3 died because of specific choices on optical drives.

not all xbox360 and ps3 have the same optical drive, others die others exist.

dust, electricity and software/firmware updates all are conflicting differences

i hope one day all consoles use the same hardware from day 1 i can't understand this alchemy really. Large companies with low attitude.

hope ps4 and xbox720 will copy the quality of pc, pc cannot die easily!!!

5. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
  6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    $399+ is too much for a console.... For $399, you can buy something much more useful....

I know people with original Xbox 360's that have never had issues. So, to say "ALL" are broken, would be an outright lie....

No, the point of this thread was to discuss the rumored price of the PS4...

7. JerichoKru

JerichoKru Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD 6850 1GB
    Any news if Sony's gonna pull the same shenanigans as Microsoft with the 720? As in, the always on and no used games? It's the reason I'm staying away from the new Xbox...and the monthly fee just to play online.

As for the price, I'll wait til it drops (if it even does).

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Does Sony ever drop their prices to reasonable levels? My local BestBuy is still selling PS3 for $399....lol

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Nothing confirmed from Sony themselves as far as im aware, but if i were Sony i'd take the risk and not ban the use of secondhand games in an attempt to try and pull more gamers onto the Playstation. If it turns out that MS make alot of cash by doing so then Sony could follow suit wih the next PS or even just release firmware updates.

Though i do feel that it should be up to the publisher or devs as to whether or not their games can be used on other consoles. Look at the PC, not every game requires a Steam account or cd-key, so why force it on consoles, it'll only increase piracy, not mention it would be stupid if a household owned more then one console but just to play a game in another room they'd have to shift consoles around rather than just walking the disk to the other console.

Keep sqeezing your consumers in a increasingly tight economy and your business will be worse off.***

***(We all know thats bull****, as the majority of consumers are sheep that'll just do as they're told, but maybe it'll change one day)

10. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Sony filed a patent for the same thing a few weeks ago.

But then again they filed one in 2006 and nothing came of that.

http://www.itworld.com/personal-tech/333199/sony-patent-suggests-ps4-may-not-run-used-video-games
    http://www.1up.com/news/sony-games-patent-resurfaces

11. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I should hope they learned their lesson with their $599 console last round. I think $399 is still too high for a console, but at least it's not as stupidly expensive as the last generation.

12. Lawlzfest

Lawlzfest Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7870/GTS 450
    Didn't the PS Vita block achievements on used games? That is one step I believe in the direction of them either blocking the use of pre-owned games or limiting them so that if you buy a used game that you have to buy a pass to play it. This is all speculation though since none of us really know.

13. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Heres the BIG question, can Playstation 3 games be played on Playstation 4? What about Playstation & Playstation 2 games?

As of now I have the FIRST & original version of the Playstation 3 which reads & plays Playstation & Playstation 2 games!

Why buy a Playstation 4 if it has no backward compatability?

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Because it plays PS4 games ? Im more interested in newer games then the older ones which i already played. last time ive touched my ps2 must be over 2 years. while its sitting right under my tv. now can you imagine all the dust ? :p

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It was annoying that my PS3 had no backward compatibility but at this point emulators are better than the real thing since you can render them at whatever resolution you want. Especially Wii games, don't bother use the real console, take your Wiimote and sync it with your PC and emulate your games at 1440p for the lulz.

I suspect the Failstation 4/Crapbox 720 will do an abysmal job at their claim of 1080/60. Just as the FS3/CBox360 didn't deliver 720/30 most of the time, and had eye stabbing textures to rub salt in the wounds.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Should be easy to do 1080/60 if the specs are correct, will be able to alot more with that than any PC hardware out now, but it depends on the developer and if they want maximum eye candy or framerate.

17. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    They should be capable of 720/60p or 1080/30p though.

18. lieutenant

lieutenant Guest

GPU:
    quad-fire 7970ge
    1080i(30hz) will be the standard for that hardware,

and 720p(60hz) for 3D gaming.

I see again fail ports on pc with 30hz/fps bug. :( :)

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    This is what michael pachter said

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47247140&postcount=203

Dont know how much of this is true lol

20. Hammi

Hammi Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 680 2GB
    Always on :/ hmmm ok Sony and MS can we have your service always on? let us not forget the gamers without internet :(

But the blocking of used games C'mon ... I personally think this is a big mistake. Offer the online pass purchase and drive down the price of used games which I do not mind. I guess we shall see in a few weeks and no doubt the very clever individuals who crack their systems will be ready for the challenge... Jtag anyone ? lol