MSI Afterburner 2.3.1 (2013-01-23)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Jan 23, 2013.

1. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I enabled it via GUI, will try editing the config when I get home. Also this only happens on Windows 8 to me, as the setting works as intended on Windows 7.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Config editing is not recommended, GUI is the way to go.

3. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Alright. Thanks for the help, when I get home I'll try a reinstall of AB and see if it fixes the issue.

4. Unwinder

Just reproduced some weirdness with clicking mouse buttons on tray icons in single tray icon mode. Investigating.

5. De-M-oN

De-M-oN Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
    And what is, when people like to play older games too? ..
    It is not a good investment to support more things? o.o

Especially are many older games better gameplay than new ones ...

6. Unwinder

Confirmed. Tray icon mouse button clicks could be ignored under Win8 in single tray icon mode. The fix will be available in the next version, thanks for reporting.

7. Unwinder

Then those people are out of luck. There are more interesting tasks in development list than providing support for old things, sorry.

8. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    You're welcome.

9. wolf68k

wolf68k Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6800GS 256MB AGP 400
    Any chance of getting the PTT to work with mouse buttons?
    I use a side mouse button for PTT in TS3, it would be nice to use the same one here as well.

10. Unwinder

Hotkey engine doesn't support binding mouse buttons and I'm afraid there are no plans to support it in nearest future.

11. HarryYTM

HarryYTM Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX TITAN
    Buy a Razer gaming mouse would solve the problem, their driver allow user to blind a key with mouse button.

12. HarryYTM

HarryYTM Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX TITAN
    By the way, any workaround to inject a 3D cursor to a game which use 2D cursor, that Afterburner can capture? An OSD just for displaying cursor?

How about put it at the end of the development list? I don't mind waiting for you to have all the fun first. :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  13. Unwinder

Nope. It is easier to implement proper cursor capture than doing such workaround.

Low chances, sorry. New NV flagman GPU is around the corner, I'm focused on supporting it, then new AMD hardware with new VRM access interface, then porting AB and OSD server to new compiler. The list is never ending and tasks like cursor, which doesn't brind many use to majority of users and don't add new selling points, have low chances to get attention.

14. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    Logitech game mouses as well (at least G500).

15. HarryYTM

HarryYTM Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX TITAN
    Low chances is far better than no chances, thanks for giving me hope. :)

Good to know the bright future of Afterburner, can't wait to see what will happen next.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

16. Ltmatt

Ltmatt Guest

GPU:
    HIS Ice-Q 7950 Crossfire
    Unwinder. How do i use the AMD API with afterburner with a single 7970? Do i have to edit the config or something? I want to try and remove the flickering for the time being but i really want to keep using msi afterburner for the OSD overlay. Thanks.

17. Unwinder

1) You may official overclocking mode (which is enabled by default and doesn't require any config edits) and stay within CCC clock limits. That's the only overclocking way AMD officially supports.
    2) You may use unofficial overclocking mode 2. It will remove flickering but will also kill PowerPlay so the card won't downclock in idle.
    3) You may extend CCC clock limits with /XCL command line switch and keep using official overclocking mode via CCC or Afterburner.

18. Ltmatt

Ltmatt Guest

GPU:
    HIS Ice-Q 7950 Crossfire
    Thanks. I was using a mixture of option 1 and 3. Maybe i should try option 2 and use the 2d/3d clock profiles to set lower clocks.

For what its worth i asked the AMD rep at overclock.net about the current situation regarding AMD and afterburner. Not sure it will do any good or that anything will happen but it can't do any harm right? :nerd:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1354904/official-catalyst-13-2-beta-thread/240#post_19180217

19. Unwinder

Keep dreaming. ATI stay in some stupid position on overclocking during last 10 years since RADEON 9000 PRO announce back in 2002. That time they didn't even have any form of overclocking in their control panel (CCC monster was born few years later) so it was possible to overclock ATI cards with thir party tools only. RADEON 9000 PRO was the first overclocking protected card in the world AFAIR, and it gave a lot of headache to third party developers.
    With it ATI applied digital signature to clock area in BIOS (to prevent BIOS editors from editing it) and added simple algorithm to reset clocks to defaults if any kind of overclocking was applied in Windows via third party tools. Some devs just gave up on overclocking it, others tried to break through ATI restrictions somehow. To bypass it RivaTuner provided ATIOverclockingAntiprotection patch script which modified driver binaries and ripped protective code from it. Similar form of runtime driver patch existed in w1zzard's ATITool.
    Things didn't change that much since that time. ATI created CCC with Overdrive support, but the amount of overclock they allows is way too small even for overclocking beginners. Official API, provided by AMD to vendors for their custom OC tools development also allows overclocking up to CCC clock limit only. Going beyond it officially is a "no go" for any vendor. Extending CCC limit is only possible via flashing special BIOS, but it cannot be created by vendors themselves and it require AMD's digital signature to be applied to clock info. Vendors tried to ask ATI to allow easier overclocking many times with no luck. So every tool going beyond CCC limits uses "holes" in the driver:

- Sapphire Trixx, HIS iTurbo (both are created by my good friend w1zzard) and MSI Afterburner (with unofficial overclocking mode = 1) use undocumented Overdrive/PowerPlay table programming interface. The interface is REALLY old and it has a lot of open issues (e.g. it may reset fan speed and power limit to defaults on some cards, it is incompatible with AMD's own ULPS and may cause BSOD, it has numerous PowerPlay compatibility issues (including infamous flickering in the latest AMD drivers)). MSI Afterburner (with unofficial overclocking mode = 2) is also the same undocumented Overdrive/PowerPlay table programming interface, but it additionally sets all PowerPlay level clocks and voltages to the same values to it virtually "disables" PowerPlay.
    - ASUS GPU Tweak (ASUS own internal development) and MSI Afterburner (with /XCL command line switch) may optionally use debug "hole" in AMD driver - software PowerPlay table emulation via the registry. RacerX utility also is based on software PowerPlay template generated on 69xx card by ASUS GPU Tweak. It should be used with care BTW, because PowerPlay tables are different and depend on GPU family and VGA BIOS, so adding 69xx PowerPlay table to different GPU registry may result in some unwanted side effects (e.g. changed fan speed, because it is also calibrated there).
    - Fianlly, some tools (e.g. ASUS GPUTweak, PowerUp Tuner or MSI Afterburner out of box without any CFG tweaks) just allow overclocking withing CCC limits.

20. Ltmatt

Ltmatt Guest

GPU:
    HIS Ice-Q 7950 Crossfire
    Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Nvidia don't have this problem (imposed clock limits/flicker) but they voltage lock their cards don't they?