Downsampling with AMD: Guide and Demonstration

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BlackZero, Jul 25, 2012.

1. alientorni

alientorni Guest

GPU:
    MSI 5770 (bios6770) Hawk
    Lol

if you are useless, just go to the green side. it always have been that way.

2. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @alientorni,
    you're talking to me here, boy? :p

...what's wrong with all of you with that "side" thing? XD
    "Green" or "Red" - doesn't matter. There are no sides here...this is not a school football event for 10-year-olds. Grow @ucking up! - This is matter of preferable products and price. I have no problem with buying NVIDIA or AMD if the product they offer meets my requirements and budget for today...why should any?

And why I am been a "useless"? You think that a WinXp x32 a good thing for 2013 here? What on earth is going on with that dude head while he is decided to go along with highly outdated OS which doesn't even suported by manf? My advice here for him a most sensible and useful...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  3. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    This is just on my secondary pc in the basement, I am not going to put a new OS on it, I only race on that machine....all other gaming is done on the rig in my sig.

I will just buy a cheap Nvidia card that will be able to handle downsampling on my racing app.

I figured the problem had to do with xp.

4. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    ok...fair enough :) sorry if i offend you in some way...
    the problem might be in winxp alright...but you can always use downsampling tool via command console instead of gui...

5. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    I figured out how to do downsampling easily with any graphics card (Nvidia, AMD , Intel .. it doesn't matter)

I used a program called Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

It doesn't care what driver version you're running because it works by overriding the monitor EDID in the windows registry.
    I just succesfully used it with Catalyst 13.1

It's very easy to use:

1) Start CRU
    2) Add a detailed resolution (note that the first detailed resolution will be your monitors standard resolution)
    3) Set timing to Automatic - Best for LCD (if you have an LCD of course)
    4) Enter your custom resolution and refresh rate
    5) Press OK
    6) Press OK again to apply your changes and exit CRU
    7) Reboot

When you have rebooted and are back in Windows you can use your new resolution(s)

The pixel clock patcher you can find on the same website as CRU also looks interesting. I'm wondering if they might help us use very high custom resolutions that would normally not be possible?

6. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    No problem at all...I am not offended in any way.

Thanks for that info CeeJay :)

7. Derko1

Derko1 Guest

GPU:
    2x1080s
    Hey CJ, I just tried this and while it does add the resolutions for me... I can not get them to work. I just get a black screen when switching to them. :bang:

EDIT: Well... my issue might be a bit more complicated, I am connected through a receiver and then to my display. So it seems like it does not detect the display... but the receiver... so it doesn't seem to apply the settings correctly. :wanker:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  8. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    I can get most resolutions up to around 2800 x 1750 to work. I suspect I can't go any higher because that will make the pixel clock go over 330 mhz which is the limit the pixel clock patcher was designed to remove.

I tried using that but I still get a black screen when going over.
    Maybe I've hit the limit or maybe I need a modded monitor driver.
    I could also try using less than 60hz.

I can't say why it doesn't work for you.
    I assume you remembered to enable GPU scaling ?
    I also have Reduce DVI frequency .. and Alternate DVI operational mode turned on.

If you have used AMD downsampling GUI before and found settings that worked for you, you could try entering in the same settings in CRUs manual mode.

Alternatively you could use Powerstrip which I just remembered can also make custom resolutions. It's not as easy to use as CRU though.

9. Derko1

Derko1 Guest

GPU:
    2x1080s
    I tried inputting the same settings for what seemed right and still no dice. I really think it has to do with my receiver though... cause at first it would not work at all. Then when I set the resolution mode on my receiver to auto, they started working. Otherwise, they don't. :wanker:

10. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I'll add this as an alternative utility. Once I have had a chance to properly test it I might add it as a permanent alternative.

That's around 294MHz so you are not only quite close to the software limits but by going higher you might have also hit the data limit for your cables. Theoretically dual-link DVI shouldn't have any limits other than the source output and cables themselves.

11. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    that CRU is useless cr** & sh**...it cannot change anything because EDID of monitor understands the difference and it goes nuts...what a useless tool...

downsampling_gui was working at any resolution...need a fix :( :bang: :wanker:

12. sheepdog26

sheepdog26 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 690
    Hey CeeJay.dk. First off, awesome guide for downsampling via CRU method! I have a resolution of 2880x1620 @100hz (I have a Yamakasi 1440p OC monitor). The resolution is read and displayed crystal clear, except one thing: It appears that my display will not exactly downsample the new 1620p resolution down to my native 1440p resolution. Like the actual 1620p resolution is being displayed, but since the screen can only output 1440p natively, the screen gets zoomed in and bigger, and some screen real estate is off-screen. And yes, I did enable GPU scaling under the NV control panel settings. Mind if you can help me out a bit? One thing I do know about my Yamakasi Monitor is that there is no OSD and I think there is no build-in-scaler (not too sure about the scaler though).

Thanks in advance.

13. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

sheepdog26

2880x1620 @100Hz equates to 466MHz, the GTX690 (and all modern graphics cards?) have a 400MHz RAMDAC, also how did you get past the driver limit of 330MHz? I'm assuming by using a pixel clock modifier.

In any case, I would suggest dropping the refresh rate to 85Hz (396MHz) and see if that helps.

Edit:

I'm not entirely certain how the RAMDAC works with digital signals but I'm assuming it may have a part to play.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2013
  14. alientorni

alientorni Guest

GPU:
    MSI 5770 (bios6770) Hawk
    i was in agreement with you ._.
    i just think that some of nvidia fans are people that have no patience to make an amd gpu work as it should.
    nvidia has more "official" tools, and less "problems" that mostly are just caused by the same users, but nvidia seems to know how to avoid that.

15. Derko1

Derko1 Guest

GPU:
    2x1080s
    Is there anyway to figure out what registries hold the info missing form the newer drivers to the old ones?

With installing the old driver and then not completely cleaning the old one... makes the new ones retain the info. It's gotta be like 1 file that is being used by the tool that is now either missing, or new in the 13.x's drivers. Which is causing it to not work.

Just tried the new 13.2 Betas and it still does not work. So whatever it is that let's it work, seems like AMD crippled it. :bang:

16. Cy4n1d3

Cy4n1d3 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7950 TF3
    Seems to work fine so far, I managed to add 2560x1440 as a custom resolution on my Samsung BX2450 and after a quick reboot I confirmed this working in Win8 x64.

Quick test in Skyrim - heavy vram usage btw ^^:

2560x1440
    [​IMG]

1920x1080
    [​IMG]

Seems even easier than the downsampling tool to me...

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  17. sheepdog26

sheepdog26 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 690
    Re:

Oh, well apologies BlackZero. Hvent you heard of the Yamakasi Q270 1440P Korean monitors that are overclockable to like 100HZ-120HZ refresh rate? They are awesome monitors! Anyways, yes I am aware that the pixel clock that my GTX 690 is pushing is way beyond the 330mhz limit. And I am using a pixel clock modifier that allows me to push 1440P at 100hz - 120hz. Now, what I am trying to do is downsample while using high refresh rates. So far, I was able to get 2880x1620 @ 100hz to work and display perfectly. The problem is it wont downsample the higher resolution to 1440P natively, but rather zoom in and have parts of the screen be "off-screen." Anyways, I'll try a lower refresh rate and see what happens.

Btw, if you are interested, look at 120hz.net, to take a look at the Yamakasi 120HZ monitors I've been talking about.

18. Kira

Kira Guest

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 780Ti
    Need Help...

Hey guys,
    I sit since yesterday on my PC to solve the damn problem with the custom resolution. I have a Matrix 7970 + Msi 560Ti in Hybrid PhysX and a Acer G245H Screen. I used the CRU - Custom Resolution Utility by ToastyX step by step, but it doesn´t work, I deleted the Monitor Edid, restart, edit it by CRU, restart -> no resolution in Game or on Desktop. I reboot my pc like 30 times (seriously), but no custom resolution. I have deleted all the Resolutions there and put 2560x1440 59.950hz, 2300x1350 59.950hz, but no one of them was showed in Game or on the Desktop.

Is it, because I use an HDMI cable with an DVI adapter ? (I think that it is an DVI adapter, because on this thing is only written "ATI" )
    Could it be that no new resolution is showed, because hdmi support only until 1080p ?
    Excuse my bad english ^^...

Edit; Problem solved! I could hit 2560x1440 by 30hz, but when I chose it in the Game, i get "Frequency not supported"
    I would get 2560x1440 by 59.950/60hz, but how ? And what should I do because of "Frequency not supported" ?

Edit²: I installed the "AMD Patcher" and... nothing, the same as without the patcher...
    Look that are my settings

Is it because I use a HDMI Cable with an HIS Dvi Adapter ? Is my display the "problem" ?
    I could only go until a Pixel Clock of 156mhz

I really need a answer.
    I have a Hdmi cable with a his dvi adapter. On CRU I could only use 160mhz, every Resolution above 160mhz Pixel Clock is not showed on the desktop or in game. If i buy a Dvi Dual Link 21+1 could I put 2560x1440 60hz ?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  19. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    This is interesting - could I get my setup to do the same?
    If I could get the game to render a much higher resolution than I can normally get with custom resolutions and have the monitor just show the center, then I could write a shader for SweetFX that would sample the entire screen and downscale that to fit the part that is visible.

20. Kira

Kira Guest

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 780Ti
    Ok, i´ve tried everything, changed the hz of the display and tried 2560x1440 -> Frequency not supported.
    It seems like that I could only downsample the resolution until 160Mhz, like 1920x1080 with 70hz.
    I use right now a Hdmi cable with a His dvi adapter, if I would buy this Dvi Dual Link could I put the resolution to 2560x1440 ? I read that a normal Dvi could do only 160Mhz (Pixel Clock) and a dual Link 330mhz. I want to use 2560x1440 with 60hz and this uses 241mhz.