AMD Catalyst 13.1 (9.012.0 December 19) AMD Official WHQL

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jan 17, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    Why didn't anyone mention there is a LEGACY version of 13.1 available?

I have some friends just dying to get some support for their HD 4800's on Windows 8.

2. Titan29

Titan29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 | 7900XTX
    For me it is mostly Application crash where the game would crash to desktop, or a system hang (needing hard reset). If you are getting consistent TDRs (AMD driver stopped responding) then that could be a different issue. Did you try default clocks? For me default clocks are stable.

3. ergalle

ergalle Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 690
    I also have a 6990 but the stuttering is not gone.

Any fix?.

4. usoldier

usoldier Member

GPU:
    7900XTX
    OK so ive tested and 13.1 are always giving me AMD driver stoped responding
    12.11beta works fine.

Only way 13.1 doesnt give me error is by running stock speeds :/

5. poppy10

poppy10 Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 280X
  6. poppy10

poppy10 Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 280X
    Seeing significantly smoother gameplay on DIRT Showdown and even L.A. Noire on max settings with my 7870. Pleased with these drivers, no crashes yet.

One thing I don't understand:
    I thought that updated drivers included all CAP released up till that date?

7. Derko1

Derko1 Guest

GPU:
    2x1080s
    Has the flickering in Showdown been resolved? Not sure if it was a CF only thing...

8. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Error

I got a bunch of errors. Like application has quit unexpectedly error, and lots of 'file not found - fatal errors' followed by steam warning application can not start or is running already. I was also getting major flickering if vsync was off. Rolled back to 12.10. Still flickers though but getting use to vsyc. At least my gpu utilization is up accross all my gpus but 13.1 felt much smoother I have to say...

Note: Could have been from raising pci-e bus from 100mhz to 101mhz but I doubt it..

Edit: Can't wait till I can afford a couple Titans to replace these buggy AMD cards.. Can't wait...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  9. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    you went trifire and are shocked you have issues?

tri-sli is also known to be far from perfect.....

10. Orthello

Orthello Guest

GPU:
    980 tri sli @ 1740/7900
    Yeah thats what i thought .. hmm .. far cry 3 needs all the help it can get, i think those 12.11 cap 2 improvements are for single card anyhow and don't apply to CFX.

11. usoldier

usoldier Member

GPU:
    7900XTX
    Can you try raising those ram timings and test again m8 please tell us if it fixed it.

12. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Did more than that!

I actually lowered the ram frequency from 1600mhz to 1066mhz. Same effect.
    Now that I'm back on 12.10 going to try play BL2 and see how it goes..

About going Trifire.. Am I shocked.. Sometimes yes and sometimes no.. but things like for instance certain games like Rage crashing at launch, and the uninstaller utility shutting of my monitors, and taking a year to fix Skyrim, and giving up on legacy hardware, and I don't know what else really pisses me off..

Oh forgot there was the ulps bug and the gpu speed bug. I mean its amazing they get WHQL certification! Talk about low standards!

13. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    still, i have never seem amd/ati put out a driver that caused cards to cook themselves because they disabled the cooling fan on the card.....

skyrim isnt all on AMD, sorry but the developers of that game are well known for putting out very buggy games, and alot of the bugs endup getting fixed by the community OR amd/nvdia/intel via drivers......I dont think its kool to blame amd or nvidia or intel in those cases, specially when the problems are across hardware that was on the market when the game was in development......dev's should have fixed the problems on their end rather then expecting other companies to cleanup their messups.

kinda like how Id screwed over ATI users back in the doom3 days, it took a user to find the problem and let everybody know, then ATI put that fix into their drivers......http://megagames.com/news/doom-3-enhance-experience-pt2

Id did this intentionally due to their long standing buttbuddy status with nVidia, I can remember that was when I lost respect for carmack and Id....

I lost even more respect for the man when he admitted dx was better then opengl but refused to use it for rage.....(oh yeah and rage sucked.....lol)

I could rant all day and night about horrible developers, but then i could rant about driver issues from hardware makers as well......

at least one thing we can agree on im sure is, both nvidia and amd have better drivers then intel ;)

14. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    It's all relative

I guess if you look hard enough you can find issues with any thing but I have both technologies and my sli nvidia rig has been the least problematic. As far as intel goes in the gpu world I'm only familiar with the sandybridge hd3000 integrated gpu and feel that Virtulogix is kind of a joke. Of course developers, your right, own a lot of the blame especially the Xbox porters!

15. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    and I have had more issues with SLI microstutter not being fixable then with crossfire microstutter, mind you, the rare titles I run into microstutter with require radeon pro to fix it on AMD videocards, but, I have yet to find a released title i couldnt get working without microstutter on AMD.(tip: if AFR stutters, try SuperTile, AMD may not be optimizing it anymore but it works great on alot of games and dosnt suffer some of the problems AFR does)

most people I know wont do multi card from either company because they feel its to much hassle after having done it for years, I personally rarely have to break out the custom cf profiles to fix problems, Not saying others dont have issues, Im sure they do, Just as I have had issues with products from just about every major pc parts maker out there.....

and Xbox/ps3 ports SUCK, sorry but I have always felt they get a better game if they develop on the PC then port to console.

One of my favorite games Fable:TLC is alot of fun( i re play it at least once a year) but, imagine if they had stuck to the orignal plan and done it on pc then ported to xbox....they could have had an open world on pc, where all of peter molyneux promises to the community could have been fulfilled, but instead they cut way back on the game and dumbed it down for console gamers and game pads(and the slow as snot p3 celeron in the xbox1)

I could list other games Like Halo that are fun, but would have been far better had they been kept as PC titles then ported to console.....

I honestly feel consoles are the current bane of gaming in general, it wouldnt be so bad if they made them upgradeable or they put new ones out more often or at least made them fairly high spec when they come out, but they dont.....so we get stuck with lots of antiquated stuff like dx9 games 8 years after dx9 came out.....(2013 and still on dx9??? really????)

and again, at least AMD/ATI never put out a driver that turned off the videocards fan and had it cook itself......also never had problems with specific color spaces on any cards but nvidia(yv12 to this day isnt reliable driver to driver, keeps being messed up and refixed......been going on since the 7000 series days.....)

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/warning-nvidia-196-75-drivers-can-kill-your-graphics-card/7551

you dont have to look far or hard to find issues with nvidia's drivers, just like you dont have to look far or hard to find problems with AMD's video drivers, neither company makes the best drivers out there...but at least we arent stuck with 3dfx holding us back(they insisted nobody needed 32bit color that 16bit with dithering was plenty for anybody....LOL) 3dfx also had their annoying proprietary rendering path "glide" that was the bane of anybody who didnt run 3dfx cards......so things could be alot worse.....

things may not be perfect, but, as a long time pc gamer(pretty much from the start of pc gaming) I can tell you, its better then it was in the past in most ways, sure at times in the past both companies had "better" drivers then they do now, but those drivers where also alot less complex with alot less features, I wouldnt go back if i could, I enjoy PC gaming, even if according to some my system cant game(cant tell you how much crap i see amd users get on sites like techpowerup being told amd cant game...lol)

well I gotta head out, time to go to the office for a few hours(will try and check back on this thread from there)

16. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    My Far Cry 3 is running around 8-10 FPS faster with 13.1.
    However it did stop responding ONCE for the first time EVER.

Keepers.

17. Manp

Manp Guest

GPU:
    2x HD 6970 Crossfire
    i'm not sure if this new behavior is "by design" or not but it seems to be related to crossfire.

if you turn off crossfire in the CCC and reboot, the HD audio Controller doesn't get disabled.
    as soon as you turn crossfire on the HD audio Controller gets automatically disabled.

[​IMG]

never happened with any Catalyst version before, and it has nothing to do with HDMI audio drivers version since it happens with both 7712 (from Catalyst 13.1) and 7708 (same HDMI drivers as Catalyst 12.11b and Catalyst 13.2 beta)

:)

18. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    This I have with 13.2 also, but it's not that big of a deal. It's just the HDMI audio from the 2nd card.

19. k37chup

k37chup Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 4070
    I get blue screen & lock ups with this one(w7x64)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  20. r_vi

r_vi Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO
    Yeah, it seems to be Display driver related problem with Crossfire systems. I even tried to install older HDMI Driver and Not to install HDMI Driver at all. I also tried installing ONLY Display driver from 13.1 package over 12.11b11. It makes no difference; One device keeps missing and one controller keeps disabled when Crossfire enabled.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013