AMD Reports 2012 Results net loss of $473 million

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD today announced revenue for the fourth quarter of 2012 of $1.16 billion with a operating loss of $422 million, and a net loss of $473 million, or $0.63 per share. The company reported a non-GAAP o...

AMD Reports 2012 Results net loss of $473 million

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  3. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    AMD needs new leadership.

They need to get rid of their desktop CPU division and sell off non-essential patents. Invest heavily in mobile/ultra-mobile processors SOC's and pray to the spaghetti-monster that they can release something on time and competitive.

They have to realize that they are still fighting over scraps of a dying market. Even Intel has realized this a while ago. AMD needs to get themselves represented in the tablet and phone market or find themselves without a customer base very soon. They have a very strong background in mobile GPU (and GPU technologies in general) that can give them an advantage in putting together an SOC that is not to be underestimated. But them coming out and saying that they are not going to explicitly support Android is one of the dumbest moves I have seen since Nokia signed an exclusive contract for Windows Phone but Microsoft was still allowed to license it out to others.

Personally, I don't care if AMD goes under, there will always be other competition. It's just a double pity that it's going under not for a lack of talent but for a lack of vision among its leadership.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    More bad news...hope something good happens for them soon.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Yikes!

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The market needs AMD. Without AMD, you can look forward to non-overclockable processors, processors soldered to the motherboard (like Intel are already planning to do), no soldered IHS, more expensive CPU's, and slower market turnover. There won't be any new competition, because competition would have to acquire rights to a ridiculous amount of patents to make a compatible CPU. This goes beyond just a x86 licence from Intel and an AMD64 licence from AMD, you have all the licences for the extended instruction sets, and numerous others that would simply prohibit another player coming in now. At the moment it is a patent balancing act between Intel and AMD.

You could be as anti-AMD as you like, but like I just said, the fact remains without AMD, you will get much 'less' from your precious Intel!

Out of Intel or AMD, I would go Intel for high end computers, but for lower end computers I would go AMD. I would much rather have an AMD APU rather than some crippled 2 core Intel Pentium or Celeron processor (they do have some very low end processors). These low end PC's could be used for everything from kids computers to basic workstation computers and home theatre PC's etc.

7. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It also puzzles me how huge loss it is compared to the revenue. I do hope that consoles will help AMD.

Just now the CPU situation for AMD is grim. They offer some nice APUs, cheap solutions for home ECC-enabled servers, but for a gaming rig, I'd go for Intel. Besides, people don't buy that many desktop computers now. Phones, tablets = not AMD. Laptops? If I buy Intel-powered laptop, it'll have both better performance and battery life than AMD counterpart.

8. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    AMD doesn't currently compete in the high-end, especially when power consumption matters, and we still see Intel pushing things there.

In the low-end, ARM is a much bigger and more dangerous competitor than AMD currently.

AMD really only affects anything at all in the mid-range right now.

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You're living in a fantasy land if you think AMD is preventing Intel from moving to non-OC CPU's, soldered motherboards, etc.

News flash: 99.9% of computer users out there aren't enthusiasts and couldn't care less what the word "overclock" means or whether their CPU is soldered or not. Intel does what it does because it is profitable and good for itself, not because it feels AMD is a threat (it's not).

They have market turnover because the OEM's demand it, not because some enthusiast on some forum is screaming out, "GIVE ME MORE POWAH!".

Disclaimer: The last rig I built had an AMD A8-5600K inside.

10. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Not only CPU's but what about the GPU's?

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Actually, x86 is a licensed architecture, not just anyone an use it. Nvidia tried to get their hands on it and intel said no. So, if AMD goes under, intel will for a while be the only x86 manufacturer worth going for. I think AMD should sell their assets to a company like Samsung and focus strictly on GPUs, maybe not even get into ARM. AMD just doesn't have the money to keep up with intel at this point. Id say they've done a damn good job considering their situation though. Their CPU division is badly burdening the GPU division, it needs to be set free.

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I highlighted a key part.

Also, two words:
    "Anti-Trust"

13. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    AMD can't really sell to anyone, or else AMD becomes kind of moot.

It's a weird thing, the cross-licensing agreement with Intel gives AMD access to x86...But the AMD side gives Intel access to x86-64. If either company transfers ownership, goes out of business, sells the patents, the agreement ends. Intel loses access to x86-64. AMD loses access to x86.

Two things can happen, one, investors prop up AMD in hopes it eventually does well. Or, it can be allowed to be bought and have the agreement end, in which case Intel will renegotiate it while holding all the cards.

If that happens, AMD is worth almost nothing So, basically, AMD is worth almost nothing since they can't even transfer the thing that makes them special, their licensing agreements with Intel.

14. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Thanks for that IPlayNaked. I did not know some of that. Interesting.

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

AMD isn't preventing Intel from doing that at the moment, because they aren't an even competitor. What it will mean is that you won't be able to have the choice of say, an i7-3770k on an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 board (which many will be happy with) or even an Asrock Z77 Pro3 (and manufacturers equivalents). You will only be able to get it on the Extreme9 and Extreme11 boards, or equivalent, etc. Or, you may lose the real top end boards entirely! Conversely, if you want an Extreme6 board (for example) with an i5-3570K, it may be a no go since they may only give you the option of having it on a Pro3 and Extreme 3 boards. Of course, I am referring to the Broadwell or successor equivalent of these boards and CPU's. If AMD were a direct competitor, Intel wouldn't risk this move since AMD have emphatically stated they will not go down that route. If Intel did this, and AMD didn't, and AMD were a proper competitor, people would much more likely by the AMD choice since you could buy an i7-3770K and run it on an Extreme4 motherboard etc. Not everyone wanting an i7-3770K wants a $500 motherboard! etc. With Broadwell Intel will still be providing socketed CPU's. This is probably to gauge to market response to socketed choices or fixed soldered choices.

I must stress I am ONLY using those model numbers as examples. I know they aren't Broadwell/Skylake/Skymont processors and chipsets, and I know they aren't AMD CPU's and chipsets. They are simply models I chose to put things into perspective.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Why would you lose the top end boards? And what is stopping Intel from doing that now if like you said AMD is not a competitor or preventing them from doing anything.

Plus I feel like enthusiasts greatly over exaggerate the negatives of BGA.

17. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    The Anti-Trust laws don't exist anymore. They are the biggest myth of this new century.

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Not cool!

19. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    You might want to brush up on the US Federal Laws before making a statement like that. The Department of Justice has their own division for antitrust violations.

20. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    He's being cynical and "cool" by saying it doesn't happen.

Of course, it does, Google was recently investigated. The difference between now and before is that the modern antitrust suits tend to get concessions from the buisness rather than just break it up.

A perfect example is ATT. The regulators were looking at them, and part of the agreement to lay off was that ATT would offer a $10 DSL internet plan.