AMD Catalyst 13.1 (8.970.100.7000 November 16) Legacy Driver (closed, derailed)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jan 21, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Single card users have really no basis for any complaints...

Because bugfixes classify as left behind crossfire support on new games, with negative scaling due to lack of "bugfixed" just version bumped drivers thereof.

Or you might as well not bother have crossfire at all.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  2. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    2x5970 Toxic 4GB 900/1200
    I used to have killer PowerTower A1200, 060/80Mhz, Heatsink & Fan, 66MBRam, PowerFlyerGold, 50xCDRomdrive, 250Zip, 2.1, Mediator, Voodoo 3.

3. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Now you are really revealing your age... :)

You must of had an LC68060 not XC68060 or MC68060, the integrated FPU wouldn't clock past 50Mhz reliably...

4. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    Well that is going to happen as crossfire is the minority of the minority, but it still sucks.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Indeed, they will never fix the 3d clock bug

6. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    I was a Moderator on AmigaWorld.net from 2003-2006 then i went PC.

7. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    It ran without a hitch, i just popped the 80Hz crystal in and away she went.

8. TheDukeSD

TheDukeSD Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT 1030 2GH OC
    They won't release them as open source.
    Main reason is cause the community will improve the drivers and not so old hardware will be on par with mid entry cards.
    Market department will just say no because it's bad for their bussiness.

Microsoft is another good example. They refused to implement dx10 or dx11 in XP. Even if u manage to add and make the required files work in XP u will still not have dx10 or dx11 because there are no drivers to support it... And they took that decision only to be able to sell next OS. I would happy move to a linux distribution when the few games that I play will have an native client (main problem is that there is no plan with most of them...) because I just hate the bloatware vista & win7.

I still have an hd 4650 and an hd 4350 first one in my htpc and second one in my father pc.

9. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    Well yes and no, when it comes to older multi GPU that can still hold up to some newer midrange cards, but they are not making money from those cards any more, i expect soon after when the 5xxx cant be bought any more that the 5xxx will go legacy.

10. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I think the HD 5000 series will be officially supported for as long as AMD supports DX11/11.1 cards. Looking at previous moves to legacy support, AMD has moved all DX9 and DX10/10.1 cards to legacy at the same time. If they continue doing this, we may see the DX11 GPUs moved to legacy some years after DX12 has been released

11. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I'm not going to argue about it. I know what I'm talking about. I'm sorry you can't grasp the fact that architectural differences make well....a HUGE difference. the HD 4 series is just not capable of a lot of computing instructions that HD 5 and up can do. End of story.

I'm not getting into this any further.

12. The_Smurph

The_Smurph Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD4870 1GB
    So Im going to step in and make sure ya see there really arent many architectural differences between the 4k series and 5k series. You have not done much reading if you say there is a huge difference. You may not want to get "into it further" but Im going to point a finger and say do some reading please

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_hd_5870_review_test,5.html

So I would recommend reading through this and ya should hopefully come to the conclusion that their were tweaks for DX11 and they doubled the backend of the 5k series. The 4k series and 5k series cards are similar architecturally.

13. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    With an additional die shrink..only with Cayman did they move to VLIW4....

But 90% architecture is the same. Lack of DX11 there is, but in realistic terms all this means is lack of tessellation. Since 11 is backwards compatible to the 10.1 feature set.

But even that's not strictly true, because it has it's own built in tessellator similar like the XBOX chips, just not compatible with DX11, and thus wasn't used along with the XSP in any drivers.

And I know what I'm talking about. :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  14. The_Smurph

The_Smurph Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD4870 1GB
    Oh i know ya do. I just hate hearing people saw its old tech when I can still play most games on my 1920X1200 monitor. Yeah its long in tooth but Ive been debating on my next card. Green or Red:)bang:)........

Btw Im going to reinstall this driver since is has awful performance. Im hoping maybe a fresh install will clear up some issues.

15. Bose321

Bose321 Guest

GPU:
    HD6950 w. AC III heatsink
    This is just bollocks from AMD. My two 4850's still play BF3 fine so I don't see the reason to update. However, thanks to the years of messing around with all kinds of drivers and now even modified drivers, I have decided to leave the red camp and going for a 670, should be a nice improvement I guess. I just can't be bothered anymore with the hassle each time to even try new drivers...

16. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    If you buy a nvidia card you will get driver support (and "support") for Windows 12 :D

17. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Guest

GPU:
    HD 4850
    HD4850 worth the trouble

Say, I have an old HD 4850 that I want to use in a new Ivy Bridge i5 build. Am I better off just using the on CPU video rather than mess with the legacy driver issues with the 4850? I know the 4850 would be a better gaming choice, but it's not really going to be a gaming PC anyway.

Thank You,
    Roger Thornhill

18. The_Smurph

The_Smurph Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD4870 1GB
    Listen man, I came from the Green team and trust me, you will be going through more drivers over there than in the Red team. I spent more time running through drivers and updating and downgrading through different drivers trying to find the best performance on my old 7900GS. ITs the same on both sides no matter what ya do. I would purchase a new card on what games you play consistently and go from there.

19. Captmario

Captmario Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 2400X
    Do these drivers work for ATI "Mobility" Radeon HD 2400 XT, i see it is supported in the list but do we have to mod these first? I have windows XP SP3..

20. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Your better off using a driver much older, the newer catalysts especially using legacy cards to boot are extremely untested in Windows XP environments, but fine on Vista/7.

And that's the voice of experience speaking. Stick around the 10.x series. Far less glitchy on Windows XP for legacy cards you'll discover m8...

Once Vista & 7 came out, the XP drivers became a relic and got progressively worse.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.