If you still have a legacy card, try these.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kevsamiga1974, Nov 7, 2012.

1. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    In comparison, league of legends runs perfectly, @70-80% each card, 130fps all the time!

Thanks man, i can't wait to see the result of your work <3 :kind:

2. weah

weah Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD5850 Toxic @1Ghz
    Is it just curiosity & test or is there also another reason?

I'm not ready to risk my OS with other ancient versions, especially because I found the right compromise after 4 attempts.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  3. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I was just wanting to narrow it to 9.x, 10.x, 11.x or whether it's just surprisingly funnily enough the 12.x series.

I'll fix the WMV 13.1 decoders stuff for 5K install in the next release...(didn't realise the hybrid driver would interest non legacy owners as well)

::EDIT::

For now you can just replace the file in the package with this one that has the 5K series install capability restored, but the same updated version to get a complete installing driver on 5K series.

http://www.mediafire.com/?rwdpbvcucvkt2sp

4. weah

weah Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD5850 Toxic @1Ghz

5. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    The gfx of BF3 are of a similar quality to the high res texure pack of Crysis 2.

A 4870x2 runs Crysis 2 with it's high texture pack even on something silly as using Catalyst 10.12 satisfactorily enough at around 45fps in 720p.

So other than driver/profile crossfire scaling issues in BF3, it isn't simply a case of "oh my card doesn't have enough capability to run BF3 well because it's old" not at all, it's just that the scaling isn't there and it's negative into <50% for each card.

Like I said, when I have the game myself, I can start probing it... :)

6. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    Don't spend money just to fix this problem mate :/

7. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Well I have FF 18.0.1, so i'll give it some scrolling/gpu tests with gpuz on 4K on the second monitor. When I am happen to be on other drivers other than my own. :)

Seems reading those threads it also happened on Nvidia but got fixed...

8. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    Hmm, little question here boss. I remember playing league of legends on my crossfire with my fps and regular drivers (had to be 12.6) going from 100 to 150 before, never going under that. As the game starts, and i'm staring at nothing but my own champion, both my cards work fine, 70% both, ~130 fps. But after champions and minions have spawned, both my cards activity goes down to 35-45% each, and my fps just goes down to 80-90 (it even goes to ~50 when i get to the option menu).

I am making screenshots, will be posted within minuts. Could the profiles be the problem?

Edit :

Jungle

Crossfire Activated : [​IMG]

Crossfire Deactivated : [​IMG]

Lane

Crossfire Activated : [​IMG]

Crossfire Deactivated : [​IMG]

I even get to reach 100 fps with 1 card activated, and 1 card even reaches 97% core usage.

Lane, 85% 1 card : [​IMG]

What is your diagnosis mate? Sorry to annoy you with all these problems, you just got me addicted to your drivers and your fantastic job!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  9. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
  10. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    This is an old problem that got fixed with time. When you were in game with a crossfire, the whole HUD would flicker, but a patch fixed that a while ago. It allowed me to use my crossfire again back then. This is how i got to see the performance difference. It was stupid from me earlier to say that the performance were amazing, i just started the game, remained at the spawn, and checked the FPS. Seemed good, but i didn't really went further, that's my fault. Sorry for that.

11. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I can't even get league of legends to work...

After wasting 2 hrs downloading the damn game and all the massive updates for it I created an account/password.

Then when I try to login with it, it's saying invalid.

So....I go to the recover password thingy at league of legends, put in my login name that I just got in the welcome email and now it's telling me that account doesn't exist.

So then I think ok, I'll just make a new one, but when I try doing this it's now telling me the email address is already in use.

I give up with getting this to launch and play after 2 hrs...

::Edit:: ok got it working after playing around some more.... :)

Not really my favourite games RPG's, but can't find a problem with it on these drivers, locked @60fps constant VSYNC on also in crossfire during the tutorial, everything is maxxed, where's the problem, why would you want more than 60fps, also remember I have a quad...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    Ah you got it to work, i was about to create an account for you! :]

Well it's pointless indeed, i can get a stable 60 too, but i just got used to play with over 100 fps and actually feel a difference. I'm sure this sounds odd.

Try setting the frame rate cap on "benchmark", remove the vsync and get rid of the animated HUD (actually removes 10 to 20 fps).

I was just surprised to see that i get less fps in action with a crossfire than with a single card, this is why i was asking.

As for this game, it's amazing and very addictive!

Edit : added you ingame, nick mksoznot :)

13. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I have now tested it with VSync off, hit the same low frames, and I can confirm it's a driver issue, not a profile issue. Should be fixed in next release. :)

14. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    You're fantastic :kind:

15. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    All better...

[​IMG]

16. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    For some unknown reason, when trying to repeat the same tests using my driver unchanged and a clean reboot, I'm getting 220 fps with 97% usage on both cores, vsync off and benchmark mode, HUD on...

I think the game might have a problem in launching sometimes in crossfire because this 35% gpu usage isn't repeatable here. I only hit it one and only one time.

So at this point I'm not sure whether it's drivers or the game because the problem hasn't come back again on reboots with nothing changed. I'll keep testing...

So i'm reluctant to change things unless it's a consistent repeatable issue happening every time.

17. The_Smurph

The_Smurph Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD4870 1GB
    Hey kev, I tried your driver and it worked great except for one thing. It breaks the copyright protection crap on blu-rays!!!!!! Any ideas ?

18. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    It's using older video components to work around green flash/DXVA problem.

I'll see if i can bump the versions still keeping the green screen dxva fixes while also fixing the blueray playback up.

Do the offical drivers work ok too ?

19. The_Smurph

The_Smurph Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD4870 1GB
    Yea, the only reason I have the official drivers was because I was watching a rented vid. Ill try again as Im completely unhappy with the performance for 13.1

20. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    It's funny because it works correctly until minions spawn, both my cards work around 65-75%, but it then just drops to 35-45% whenever they spawn. Really strange.

I removed your driver and reinstalled legacy 12.6 with 12.11cap. both my cards were around 45-50% by then, but still far away from the 97% i get when i only use 1 card with your driver (i even get better performance, constant 95 fps, compared to 70-90 with crossfire enabled).

I'm just back to your modded driver with the provided CAP version.

As for BF3? it's just the same, 35% no matter what driver version/cap i use, so yeah i believe it's the game itself being the problem, not the drivers/cap.

Thanks for your efforts mate :banana: