If you still have a legacy card, try these.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kevsamiga1974, Nov 7, 2012.

1. weah

weah Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD5850 Toxic @1Ghz
    Using K-lite here with MPC-HC, and I don't see the reason to install these third-party codecs.

I just installed display drivers + application profiles + CCC, they work fine with my only single card 5850 (tried hitman absolution and splinter cell conviction).

Your package fixed my clock bug with firefox, after a lot of reports to AMD:
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=792639

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  2. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    I need your help Kev :/

I put back my 4870 to see the performances i could get with a crossfire of 4870, but i just get a black screen.

The driver is correctly installed (checked in the device manager). But when i try to activate crossfire, the screen just shuts down, but my computer keeps running (my g15 screen works perfectly, and i can just navigate, so the system is not frozen).

I've tried starting with no crossfire bridge, computer boots correctly. I restarted, used 3 different crossfires bridges (1 at a time, several are useless), on each port. The computer boots, card is detected and everything, but everytime i try to activate crossfire, the screen just goes black.

What happens when i used to activate/deactivate it, it would just go "dum dum...dum dum", and i'm back in business, now i just hear "dum dum...black screen".

I use your last driver, with the profiles provided in your folder.

I'll try to reinstall it, with both of my card plugged in now.

Edit : Worked fine when i tried to reinstall them, after 2 times, now let's see what the performance are! :)

Edit2 : Good performance boost in League of legends (~130fps). On the other hand, i lose quite a lot of fps on battlefield 3, and the game is all choppy. It runs better with only 1 card, 10-20 more fps.

Edit3 : I'm running a Q6600 G0 3.2ghz@1.3vcore, 6gb corsair dominator 4-4-4-12@1.9v, and my PSU is a TX750w. People are talking about the cpu holding back performances, i'm not really sure of it here.

3. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    It wasn't strictly intended to workaround this since I cannot reproduce the same issue on 4K series with the raised GPU clocks in FF/Waterfox, but there were indeed workarounds to broken FF/IE9 canvas rendering esp. in crossfire, maybe the two bugs are tied together somehow.

ie, the drop in performance and the clock bug...

I know IE blacklists certain AMD driver versions running on certain cards in the updateble CV (compatibility view list ), and forces the view to software rendering mode in certain cases for those driver versions that are deemed buggy, or crash introducing a potential security vulnerablity, but this doesn't apply to firefox I think where firefox just blacklists drivers below a certain date instead deemed to be too old or problematic for it's H/W accelerated GPU mode.

But most definately, no the clocks shouldn't be in 3D mode just using 2D apps like FF/IE9, not even opengl drawing in a window triggers 3D mode, and that could even be a 3D game...

4. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    But previously you said in the thread BF3 performance was smoother using the same driver... ?!?

You could try using the BFBC2 frostbyte engine for BF3 frostbyte engine mapped in a user profile and see what happens. I don't actually have BF3, just BFBC2.

5. weah

weah Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD5850 Toxic @1Ghz
    So, considering that your package works great in this sense, can you help me to address this clock bug contacting AMD and/or Firefox team?

At least we have a track now :)

6. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I wouldn't know where to start on this track, because I can't reproduce or don't have the GPU raised 3D clock bug in FF, even in the official ones where it's actually supposed to be broken.

Different card, different set of issues i'm working around m8...

Just one man working around bugs fooling with an old outdated card. I'm just glad it fixed it for you as a by product in the 5K series...

7. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    Yes, i did, the game ran smoother, but i was running only one 4870 by then. As i told you, i put my 2nd 4870 back, and gave it a shot. I get better performance and smoother game experience in League of legends, but get less fps and a choppy game when i play bf3 (i haven't had the opportunity to run an other game so far).

This is why i came here for assistance actually :nerd:

8. weah

weah Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD5850 Toxic @1Ghz
    No problem.

Just to be clear:

11.12 official behavior in firefox: to solve 3d clock issue, I have to disable both aero theme and hardware acceleration.

11.12 hybrid behavior in firefox: to solve 3d clock issue, I have to disable just hardware acceleration option, no need to disable aero theme too.

Pretty odd...

9. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Ok, I've finished d/l rage and getting it running sweet as I can for users.

Next up gonna get and solve this BF3 legacy performance (If I can)...

I can only do this overnight, as bandwidth restricted in the day.

So there might infact be a r6 after all...

Because now I have become curious why this game is running so bad on legacy cards...

But I don't have it to test, so it's time to add it....

10. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    I'm sorry to give you some additionnal work man. You're just doing alone what a whole crew couldn't, and you've got my gratitude for that. I would help you if i could, but i would just destroy the whole thing :bang:.

As for BF3, many people have this bug, better performances with 1 4870 than 2 (i could provide screenshots if you need it?). Additionnally, not only the 4800series is concerned by this problem, just in case you wanted to know, but if you can find any solution, i can't wait to hear it!

There are dozens of similar problems you can find, just by google-ing it!

The drivers aren't to be blamed, i get over 40fps boost with crossfire enabled on League of Legends and other games (runs flawlessly in DayZ, the game is SO smooth now <3)

Thank you so much Kev! :kind:

11. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    And what is the observed FF behaviour on Catalyst 9.10...the first driver available for the 5K cards, just out of a curiosity excercise and test... ?

12. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Seems to be a case of negative scaling with BF3, if I can work around it with using another profile I will, but I need to actually get hold of the game first... :)

13. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    Aw yeah, that's a problem now :bang:

14. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Scaling is good with BFBC2, using similar frostbyte engine, so I don't see any reason why performance with BF3 should be into negative scaling...

I will have to just see for myself tommorow when I get hold, and if there's a workaround, then I will find it...

11.12 r5...3ghz Q6600 4870x2 1080p DX10 mode. everything ramped apart from AA. (BFBC2 DX10 performance in 12.6 is crap)

[​IMG]

15. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    It's a new version of the frostbite engine for bf2, frostbite 2.0 if i'm correct!

16. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    Wow, amazing performance indeed, i have bfbc2, but not installed, and i'm sure i'd have such performance too with this game.
    There's definitely something broken with bf3 :/

17. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Not on anything above Catalyst 12.3 you wouldn't... :)

At least not in DX10 mode cos they broke the x-fire scaling.

18. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    I'm trying to use msi afterburner to post a few screenshots, i'll be there in a min! :]

19. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    Both cards being used @ 38% max during game session. My screenshots give me a white screen, but i could monitor it, it never goes above 38%, for both of the cards.

Edit : Screenshots :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Presactly, negative scaling...

I'll see what I can pull off tommorow like I said and come back to the thread...

At least it's working without crashes unlike some offical drivers, so it's a start...