Fermi, GTX460, GTX470, GTX465, GTX480...Bios Modding..Edit Voltage restrictions-mods

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by BetA, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Wartheridon

Wartheridon Guest

GPU:
    Asus Matrix Gtx 580P
    BetA, did you put bios there?

2. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    nope...

i meant u need to test first..

"for the voltage...Try 1.025 voltage and 850 - 860 MHZ GPU...
    if this is stable. we will work from there

but u need to test all this first..
    And watch the temps..tell me the temps then..in idle and under heavy load after 15 min..

after that we will know what we can do with the card and its bios.."

then i will make the bios :)

greetz and Gn8...Beta

3. Wartheridon

Wartheridon Guest

GPU:
    Asus Matrix Gtx 580P
    Test Results

hi BetA, i set as u say, like this:

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

is this correct? (sorry im noob,)

and Stress Test like FurMark 1.9.2 - 15m Burn-in benchmark at 1920x1080 ?

tks once more , take care

==================================
    OK BetA i think i understand , here the results

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Max temp: 66º with 15m of Stress Test FurMark 1.9.2 - 15m Burn-in benchmark at 1920x1080

update: : ok after this i run with same voltage but GPU CLOCK TO 860 Mhz , and the pc after like 10 m lost display image, with Stress Test them i restart it.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  4. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    what u mean by same voltage?
    with what settings u did lost ur display?
    voltage? ram mhz? gpu was @ 860mhz?

greetz BetA

5. Wartheridon

Wartheridon Guest

GPU:
    Asus Matrix Gtx 580P
    Hi BetA, im sorry i have been on Holydays, but im back.

so as i say was like this:

[​IMG]

I run Furmark 1.9.2. and run at like 71% of test and max temp was 62ºc
    them i lost display signal

tks for your time and suport

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  6. z32

z32 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460 900mhz @ 1.075v
    Oh man... Could you change my minimum fan speed to 30%?
    YOU ROCK. I have 8 fans on my rig, and this TwinFrozrII is surprisingly the loudest at 40% with all the others down on the fan controller.
    Thank you BetA, LIFE SAVER right here!!!

http://www.filedropper.com/gf104hawktalonattack

7. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    @ Wartheridon

ok, i see...well...not shure what to set nbow, since ur OC wasnt stable at these volts...and im not shure , i wouldnt go higher , since u have the default cooling on it.
    I did ur Bios here...i changed the Fans a liittle so theyr not so noisy when in idle..

For the OC mate, i really think its best u ONLY use afterburner...That way u cant mess the bios up and u can check out what settings are stable..or if u need it more then say, 840mhz give or take..
    Whats with 850 Mhz? is that stable?
    u also can Try 1.050 Volts if ur think the cards cooling can handle it...

But dont go over 1.050 for now...Not if u have the standart cooler..for good OC u will need an very good cooling solution..like the one from z32 under ur Post..it has an good cooling right from the start..way better the reference...also my cooling..its an aftermarket cooler..

Heres teh Bios...

Theres no need for editing the bios this much..and certanly not the speeds..Use afterburner in ur case..its safer for you...

greetz BetA.

----------------------------------------------------------------

@ z32

Here you go mate...Min. Fan set to 30% and i bumped the max allowed Voltage a little tiny Bit..if u want to OC a little more in teh future...

Pic:
    [​IMG]

Download:
    greetz BetA

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  8. z32

z32 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460 900mhz @ 1.075v
    Thanks BetA! That voltage cap was weak ;) Definitely had room to play, and couldn't believe they capped the Hawk Talon Attack cards so low.
    Much appreciated!!

9. Some1CP

Some1CP Guest

GPU:
    Zotac nVidia GTX 560 Ti
    Thanks for the reply!

So, if it isn't possible to make the fan go at a higher speed by itself, I'd like to remove the 75% limit on it. I'd like the min. to stay at 40% because the GPU is reaching 50ºC at normal web browsing, 70ºC in gaming. Without the MSI Afterburner, it reached around 95ºC and started to crash.

Something weird I noticed too is that the temperature goes from 45 degrees to something around 60-70 in a short period of time when I start playing a game.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  10. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    hy there,

ok, i changed teh max Fan limit now. it should run cooler now and also louder.

[​IMG]

Anyway, what cooler is on it? normal reference? if yes, then these temps are normal. but it shouldnt hit 95C°, not fo rmy taste..
    so, i think the fan kicks in to late, or not fast enough...u might wanna make a profile in afterburner, a manual fan curve..so it kicks in faster..
    If that doesnt work as intended then , well go for RMA if its still an option, or buy an aftermarket cooler, then u wont have any problems..im also on teh aftermarket cooler boat, and i dont ever leave it..

heres teh Bios:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?z9zwqr1m95qmgxj

if u have probs, or dont know how to flash it to your card, here is a Thread that helps with it:
    Greetz :)

11. Some1CP

Some1CP Guest

GPU:
    Zotac nVidia GTX 560 Ti
    Many thanks! :D

I'll try to flash it later ;)

And yeah, the cooler is the stock one :p

Update: The fan can now go up to 100%!
    Flashing the BIOS was easy and riskless.
    Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  12. VestigialLimb

VestigialLimb Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 460M
    Not quite sure where to start here; perhaps I'm not even in the right thread here. I only have a basic understanding of all of this.

I've never messed with unlocking voltage. I've looked into it a lot, but still sort of at a loss as to what do. I have a GeForce GTX 460m 1 GB and I've tried using Nibitor, but it won't let me adjust the Fermi values. How do I solve this?

Also, I don't really know what to do as far as cooling. I haven't adjusted anything at all as far as my fan goes. What do I need to adjust when I unlock the core voltage? I don't really know what a safe voltage for my card would be either....assuming 1.087 would be good.

Seems that people on here are having their voltages unlocked for them by posting their BIOS file or something. What would I need to post for someone to help me out in this regard?

13. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    im not shure, but i think there was someone else with an Laptop and that hardware...and as far i can remember it wasnt possible to edit teh bios..

But we can try if u want..just be clear, that IF u use higher voltage and volts on an LAPTOP, u will hit 90C° or more...just saying...

Greetz BetA

14. VestigialLimb

VestigialLimb Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 460M
    Alright, so what do I need to provide you with? The BIOS file saved through Gpuz or what?

Also, in regards to the temp, would this mean I'd have to adjust my fan speed...and how does one do this?

15. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    well, first of all i would need your BIOS from the Card so we can see IF we can unlock or change anything...

After that we can see what we can do...

u can use GPU-Z for it, or NVFlash to make the bios backup.

16. VestigialLimb

VestigialLimb Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 460M
  17. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    Thanks...

i took a look at this bios..
    There isnt much we can do...
    Ur fan is set to low max. 30% and Max 100%, so thats fine..
    For the voltage, there nothing i can do..i cant even unlock teh max voltage since its different from the desktop Cards as u see in teh picture..

[​IMG]

the only thing you can change is teh CLocks, but u can do that with afterburner, wich is safer for now..

So, teh way i see it, there not really much i can do..But if u find someone who can change or overvolt his Laptop Card, please let me know...

18. andrei80

andrei80 Guest

GPU:
    GB 280x WF OC
    Hi!
    I've just bought a PNY GTX 465 to replace my old MSI 260 GTX twinfrozr oc2 and the new card is really noisy! The old one was almost dead silent with a little afterburner magic.
    I've used Afterburner to lower the voltage and the fan speed but 30% is minimum and it's still noisy. Lowered the minimum fan speed in bios to 20% but didnt seem to affect afterburner minimum and it's still at 30%.
    Can you help me, please?
    Here is the original bios
    http://fastupload.rol.ro/0893c858061eee169be2301e57eaf96a.html

19. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    not really..it is not recommend to go under 30%.
    It could/can happen that the fan doesnt spin up anymore, etc..
    So basicly what i recommend, if ur Cooler is still to loud at 30%, then u should get an aftermarket cooler..I also have one and i dont give it away anymore..

Some cooler / fans are just loud,...

i tried myself to lower teh min fan power to 10% since my aftermarket cooler cools very well even without air, BUT the fan didnt spin anymore at some time, and i had to change it again to 30% , since then no more problems..

greetz

20. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    Hello BetA

Thanks for all your hard work in this thread! I was wondering if it would be possible to lower the minimum voltage for my GTX580? I can't take it below 975mV for some reason. Perfectly stable at this voltage at stock clocks, so I was hoping to drop it more. Also, when the card goes into low performance mode (or whatever it's called when it drops the clocks significantly) it also won't go below 975mV.

Would this be possible? If yes, I'll save the bios for you and attach it :)