GTX 670 or ATI 7970 ??

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by asimriz, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    There have been latency tests done by some websites which show some cards have issues. Countless users have replicated these tests and found they aren't a problem for their cards. In fact, some have found Nvidia cards to have worse latency in some titles. It's apples to oranges.

You're claiming others are defending their purchases, but the only one insulting others here is you. You spent a large sum of money on a couple of 680's - that's fantastic, good for you. Your superiority complex is pretty sad in all honesty. There are countless AMD users who are very happy with their cards who will recommend AMD. Many of which (including myself) have used both companies this gen in our own builds and in builds for other people.

2. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    Keep defending what you have I applaud your courage.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You claim someone else is pathetic after your post history? It's obvious at this point you're outright trolling. You refuse to regard facts for what they are, let alone opinions. As I said, I've used a number of Nvidia cards (670's) this gen. They're fantastic cards, but over priced in my country compared to comparable AMD products. There are many other people who have used cards from both companies this gen on the forums, there's even a guy with SLI670's and Crossfire 7970's that happily recommends both depending on locale and budget.

Regardless, as BlackZero stated: I'm done. You're not worth it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    this kinda crap doesnt belong in the nvidia section. take it to pm`s if need be. geez

5. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    I gave a example of what I think, and it irritated a few of you, but it was my opinion which I am fully entitled to, I ain't no friggin troll, I was here to help!

A skoda ain't that bad it's value for money, is that not right?

6. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  7. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Wow dude your sitting here yabbering your own opinion as fact making yourself look like a real douche bag. I dont know why you hate amd cards so much or i really should be saying i dont know why you ride nvidias balls so hard I dont really care. Op asked for peoples opinions about what they thought, he didn't ask for people to come argue other peoples. Should change you sn to nvidia troll. haha

8. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    my conversations, seriously lmao the links speak for them self:pc1:
    i aint riding nvidia i used to be once like you who had a 7970 it was not a bad card but it was not as smooth as the gtx 680, either card would be strong, i did not say 7970 was crap!, i just said it was not up to the standards of what the gtx series provide, i have done my own testings i do not need to keep repeating myself. i do not hate or despise amd i might give the 8 series a try when it comes along, i did not have the best experience with the 7 series that's all i have to say!

9. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    ok fair enough if its to expensive in your country it is understandable, but here in the uk at the moment the prices between gtx 680 and 7970 are very close.

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'm in the UK, North East. A solid 7950 with a good after market cooler (Vapor X, Windforce etc) sits in the same price range as 660ti's. A 7970 (Non GHZ, although you'll be hard pressed to find one that wont surpass GHZ clocks) with a solid cooler sits around the same price range as a 670. The 7970 GHZ editions prices seem to be all over the place. Checking OCUK I can see a 7970 Windforce for £299, the MSI Lightning is going for £359 (Not a bad price actually). The cheapest 680 is an MSI reference for £359, £371 for non-reference. The cheapest 670 reference is £280, you're looking at £320 for the cheapest with a good cooler (Another Windforce). Given the choice I'd take the Lightning over the ref' board personally. Of course, prices will vary depending on the shop, but not by much.

11. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760

£280 is about ~$450 USD,….I think.

So paying ~$279.99 USD for my GTX 670 would comparatively be even a better deal then I had though.

What I am seeing with respect to price here in the states is that the HD 7970 Ghz-ED cost more then the HD 7970. So you cant mix and match that without pointing out that it cost more. The HD 7970 is about the same price as the GTX 670 so the special offer I took advantage of isn’t common.

The majority of Benchmarks I have come across had the HD 7970 ahead of the GTX 670 but usually not by much. In some cases the performance delta was significant but that wasn’t the lion share and in some cases the GTX 670 came out ahead.

A point can definitely be made about OCing but the OP hasn’t made mention of this being of interest.

IMO, both cards are great options.

12. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    I just went from an HD5850 to an eVGA GTX 670 FTW. I do not regret my purchase, although seeing as I'm running single GPU, I probably should have gone for the ASUS DirectCU II TOP. Doesn't really matter though.

Anyhow, in Denmark, the HD7970 was priced lower. Then a month later, when I was to order my graphics card, the GTX 670 (even eVGA's FTW edition) had dropped to about the same price. As all that matters to me is price/performance, I chose the GTX 670.

What I can tell you for sure is that you won't be disappointed with either graphics card, so pick what's cheapest price/performance-wise in your country. My two cents anyway.

-Peezee / Zareph

13. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    A fantastic deal, although there's a hefty price markup in the UK on a lot of goods. Our tax is quite high also.

Another point regarding benchmarks: Be sure the ones you're looking over use the 12.11 drivers. They were a significant improvement to the 7000 series.

It's a good thing you didn't, the TOP cards are problematic. So count yourself lucky, EVGA are a great company.

14. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The non GHz 7970 can easily be OC'ed to GHz speeds and just the same amount of OC as on the GHz OC'ed cards. There is no difference, the only difference is that the "GHz" editions come with higher clocks by default, that's why it's called GHz lol.

You can easily make a 7970 non GHz into a GHz...

I can run this card at 1200/1700 with a 3dmark11 graphics score of http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5586805 .. And this is a 7950.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    That is an awful 3dmark 11 score. Are you upgrading the rest of your rig? I had the same CPU at 4ghz and it bottlenecked every gpu I ran on it. 295, 480, 580.

16. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    whats the facepalm for? , not used to that kind of language in the nvidia forums

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    GCN HD7970 for sure, nvidia GK104 is crap :p

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    waiting for gk110 here wont be too long now.

20. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Going by experience?
    or chitty review sites.