StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ShadowMyth, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Ooops, how embarrassing for me to rant about something only to miss seeing it mentioned in the release notes. I'm blushing a nice shade of crimson here!

Thanks Denial. Still took them a long time to support it though. It should have shipped with at least FXAA or MLAA support IMO. Still better late than never.

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    EDIT:

Nevermind. :D

3. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Honestly, I get really bothered by jaggies, and I have a 1920x1200 27 inch monitor, so you'd think I'd see it better than most...But SC2 has never bothered me. I've never noticed anything bothersome as far as aliasing goes.

4. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    Just bought the game. Looks pretty cool. However I have a few issues:

120 fps in-game but cutscenes run like crap.

When loading reaches 100%, I get audio but it's stuck on the loading screen instead of displaying the next screen. I have to alt-tab to the desktop and back again to get off the loading screen.

Paged Pool memory error if I set Ultra graphics. It automatically turns off Reflections to compensate. If I try to turn Reflections back on the game crashes.

It keeps prompting me to upgrade from the Starter Edition. Is this a mistake or are there 2 version on sale?

Any advice for fixing these problems will be gratefully accepted.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012

5. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    For the Graphics settings have you tried non-SLi ?
    As for the account i would suggest you issue a ticket with Blizzard about it because this is the 1st time i am hearing this happening.

6. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Sorry for threadnecro but I figured it would make sense to use the existing thread to have a bit of rant.

First some background!

I always liked rts games but Ive always been really crap at them to a point where I dont think Ive ever finished a campaign in a single rts game be it Warcraft 3, C&C 3, SupCom, DoW or WiC. I bought SC2 on its release and played it a bit, tried 3 online games in the practice league and got slaughtered, then I just sort of focused on playing other games only to occasionally play the campaign in SC2 to satisfy my hunger for the occasional rts action.

Few months ago I finally decided that I am going to attempt to get into SC2 more seriously because after playing all these games that hold your hand I craved a serious challenge, so I read some beginners guides, finished the campaign to get the hang of the basics then proceeded to do some of the challenges that had been introduced in a previous patch to gain a better understanding of units and stuff and began working through the 50 games in the practice league by playing the different races to get a bit of an idea of them.

In the end I chose to go with Terran and off I went to do my league placement games which unsurprisingly were glorious defeats and placed me at the bottom of the bronze league as expected but I was cool with this. The jump in difficulty and player skill was quite dramatic going from the practice league into a proper league but Ive been sticking with it, Ive won some games, lost plenty but its been fun learning something totally new. Except when the game design screws you over...

I can just about tolerate the cheese tactics where your opponent rushes you with his workers or something and Ive learned to counter the protoss cannon rushes and such. Even though I see these sort of early rushes as pretty lame, I recognise that they are a perfectly valid tactic and just another way to play the game.

What I do however take issue with is the utterly disastrous matchmaker. Ive played my fair share of World of Tanks and in that game one of the more popular complaints was the uneven matchmaker that used to put you against tougher tanks which you had little chance to destroy but if only those people were to experience some of the crap Ive been through... In the latest example ( which also sparked this post ) me who is still in mid bronze league was put against someone in the mid diamond league, what ? 3 frikkin leagues ahead of me ??? I know its 9am in the middle of the week and the matchmaker has to work with what it has but seriously ? G...T...F...O!... oh yea and heres the kicker, frikkin TWICE in a row and it was the same guy!

I'm not gonna cry myself to sleep over something like that, I craved a challenge and I sure as sh*t got one, its all part of the learning process too but this guy was pretty quick at getting stuff out when compared to me so I had no chance to beat him at my current skill level.

Blizzard's games are known to be easy to get into but tough to master which I think is why their games are still played so much all over the world but in the case of Starcraft 2, I feel that Blizzard failed to stick to their own mantra. Nothing in the game prepares you for the pvp side if you are entirely new to rts games. I acknowldge that its a weird situation of me getting late into a genre and a game at the later stage of its dev cycle and that at present the majority of players are probably long time vets or returning players getting ready for the expansion but trying to get into this game is still easily the most frustrating experience Ive had in my entire gaming "career".

TLDR: I suck at SC2 and am bitching about it k...

/rant off

PS. feel free to share your experiences.

7. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    I played SC2:WOL and when I got stuck in some of the missions in the campaign, I ended up looking for the inevitable post by someone who was nice enough to explain what you must do in detail. This is the only thing I do not like about RTS games...the hidden tricks required to finish missions. They are counter-intuitive and go against common sense.

So for people like me, if I follow my own judgment, I will always be overwhelmed and lose. I played up until the last mission and when I learned from reading posts all the stuff you need to do...I lost interest. I guess RTS is not my cup of tea...at least as RTS is presented in SC. I just don't get the appeal of restarting a mission over and over countless times until somehow you stumble on the correct combination (or blind luck) to win.

To me, RTS is about establishing a base and fortifying it, discovering resources and securing them, and then building up a force to go out and advance your position across the map, adapting as you learn your mistaken assumptions. Playing a mission with timers or having to know in advance where the enemy will attack, with what units types, and how many so you can meet them in kind just doesn't cut it for me. Those sorts of missions have nothing to do with strategy and decision making. They are basically a script requiring you to do the right thing at the right time. Just like playing many of the FPS games out today with screen prompts.

This happens sometimes in other games, too...such as Crysis 2 so RTS is not alone.

8. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    Side Note:

I also played WoT from beta and some months after it, and I know what you're talking about. It was actually worse when it first started, it's not so much of a bother now. But yeah, it still sometimes puts in Tier3 or 4 into Tier 9/10 battles. :)

On to SC2 then:

Completing the challenges, much less the campaign, isn't really gonna prepare anyone into doing ladder games. It's a whole new "ball game" so-to-speak. constant practice (along with improving micro and macro to say the least), to the point where you no longer think but act on instinct, is key to succeeding in SC2. memorizing the hot keys for buildings and units goes out without saying, along with other critical short cuts.

It's good that you learn to accept and play with cheesy plays, but that's just a small part of the game. after surviving the cheese part, you still have to macro up an army and your economy.

I personally don't play much ladder coz i get stressed too much lol. What I play on SC2 are the arcade games, especially Nexus Wars, which is a more laid back macro kind of tug-of-war game. :)

i felt that way when i played other games, especially FPS games, but not 'really' on RTS games. i'm not insulting you or anything but I never had to do the missions multiple times (except the late ones), nor had to do an exact build order to accomplish things. I sometimes even felt redoing some missions because there's something i want to try or improve on.

anyway, just focus on keeping up with your macro. if you're constantly hovering on a lot of minerals/gas then it's a sign that you need to practice or improve your macro.

9. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Yeah theres games where I notice that I'm keeping up well by playing almost entirely from "muscle memory" but I still tend to slip into overthinking and trying to pull off some fancy crap when I should be focusing on just having a good sized basic army at this stage.

Thought I'd also ask if anyone knows what happens to WoL when HotS is out ? As in can I still use the WoL client to play online and will the core multiplayer stay the same or will there be units for each race which are exclusive to HotS owners only ?

Reason I'm asking is because Ive been looking at the features in HotS and the levelling system is kinda cool but I'm not that interested in it or in some portraits you can unlock through it and I dont really care for the single player campaign enough to justify buying the expansion.

10. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    I don't think you will be paired against HotS players if you didn't buy that expansion.

11. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    Husky (the caster) once said that games are 90% macro, then 10% fancy stuff (micro, worker harass, etc). just keep up with your mini map for drops and enemy activity plus your macro (and "which-counters-which"), and you should be good on ladder. A good micro also does help, but that entails larger amounts of game time and APM.

as practice, try to attain and maintain 3 mining bases, then non-stop army building. most pro players get maxed out @ 17min, 16mins is fast. seems pretty easy to do, until you do it. hehehe.

12. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Just to be clear, this is the case up to and including diamond league (Husky himself added that conditional in). Post-diamond league players in general have pretty good macro so you won't be able to get a huge edge out on macro only, and this is when builds/tactics will come to play.

But then again, if you are at top end of diamond league or higher, you probably have a good idea how to keep improving and whatnot :D

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Depends on the race, you can max out as zerg in about 11:30 with stephano's roach build against p. Although obviously that's if there's no early harass.

But yeah, if you're sub masters just focus on building workers and taking expansions and a moving your army. Even at mid-masters where I'm at very few people macro properly probably including myself.

14. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    well.. yes.. of course at the higher end of the ladder, macro alone wont be enough. that's where the little bits come out like micro, special tactics and all..

that's a bit of a cheat coz roaches are available in hatchery, and it costs 2 supply each. :p but yes, im also a bit wrong. :p

15. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    WHITE RA

Build expos and defense it!

16. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    i just watched his game with Dragon :) he expanded as if he was playing zerg lol