Guru3D F@H Team : Folding Hardware

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by sverek, Jan 13, 2013.

1. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Hello folding gurus.

The purpose of this thread would be to share knowledge of your current setup, what went well and what could be improved. Something like simple "guru3d folding database".
    I lurked some other forums to find answer on most efficient folding rig, however I ended up reading 2+ year old posts with older specs.

Here I'd love to share my machine specs and what direction I'd love to go. And based on your shared knowledge, I'd love to improve my current folding rigs.

Here's my specs:
    1. gaming / folding rig - smp4 (specs under my avatar) (avg 14000 ppd)
    2. dedicated folding machine - smp2 : core2duo 7200 @ 3.15Ghz (avg 2850ppd)
    3. dedicated folding machine - smp2 : core2duo 8400 @ 3Ghz (avg 2800ppd)

folding progress:
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=543476

Problem I see with mine system, is that I use 2 old CPUs with bad cost performance. I look into changing that. The question I face is, would it be better to go for GPU or CPU direction? Amd or Intel? Desktop or Server system?

Right now I aim for around 50K ppd.

Please share your specs, knowledge or any tips related to folding hardware. Looking forward for input. Thanks!

2. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    at the moment it hard to say what clients are likely to get as the wu we are getting are very different is size(points)

one of the big problems at the moment is that all the client are changing or are going to be going through a big change soon i.e it look like we will be folding the same wu on the gpu's as we are on the cpu's and soon that mean that the gpu's will be getting in on the quick return bonus, they have said that all the work unit will be re-benchmark changing what there worth.

at the moment it hard to advise people as we don't have any hard data on what stanford is going to do. i think gpu's are going to be a good bet but they can be quite power hungry, 4 socket cpu systems will still be a good option as they will still be running the bigadv client and will have a good ppd/watt compared to gpu's/smp client but they have a high initial cost but a lower running cost compared to gpu's

my systems are

2600k 4.5ghz 28-32kppd with two gtx670s 37kppd each
    i7 970 4.4ghz 32-40kppd with two gtx460s 15-23k ppd
    q9550 4ghz 5-11kppd and a gtx260 9.6kppd
    q8200 3ghz 4-7kppd
    around 200k

3. Kaktus

Kaktus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    1. Gaming/folding pc 3570k cpu folding around 16k ppd.
    2. Workstation gts250 gpu folding around 4k ppd.

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Thank you very much for input.
    I am amazed how well does Nvidia fold.

Thats great system, ian. I didnt expect 200k to be achieved without using server side hardware. Maybe I should look into expanding desktop side, rather than looking for server built.

Thanks!

5. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    just work out how much power your willing to put in, im pulling close to 1.4kw total and that to much for me, and some 4 socket systems are pulling 450w for 450-600k ppd. my q9950 with the 260 is pulling 340w so if i was able to changing that for a 4 socket system would make my overall ppd per watt a lot better

6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I've read little bit of 4p AMD setups. They costs a lot, but they seem to pay off with time.

Nvidia GPU folding is interesting, since it just runs stand alone, without bothering CPU while producing good PPD. The fallback of GPU is massive electricity consumption.
    It seems like a good trade to have many producers under same PC case.

But with electricity bill I pay monthly, I start thinking it might be cheaper and much more efficient to get 2p / 4p system instead of expanding wattage costly desktop systems.

Anyone using 2p Xeon or 2p/4p Operton here btw?