Farcry 3!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Strikerx80, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Personally, FarCry 2 was awful.
    A great engine, and solid combat ruined by a terrible story, horrible voice acting and dialog. Forgettable characters.
    Redundant and unimaginative mission structure (drive here, kill people, drive back... repeat)...
    Also, completely broken stealth. Making a lot of what could've been "cool" ideas in the game not work properly.
    And a horrible economy system. FC3's economy system is flawed, but... FC2's is crap.

Add in a lifelss world. No roaming NPCs or innocents, every NPC you run into outside the main city is hostile and shoots on sight.
    A zebra here and gazelle here... does not make a rich, animal filled world.

And, throw in the absolutely awful respawning checkpoints.
    I'm not against the enemies at camps respawning, but ... damn, they need more time. Clear a camp, drive away... ten seconds later... turn around and come back, and the camp is refilled with enemies ready to shoot instantly.
    As it is the game is tedious, boring and a chore to play.

2. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    Sorry to both of you. I completely zoned out on seeing the reply to the quote. My bad.

3. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    Well I can't argue your own impressions. For some reason that stuff never really bothered me. I did find myself wishing there was more wildlife since in reality there certainly would be. No NPC's or innocents had my attention for a while in the early period I was playing it, mainly because you see them during the initial introduction drive from the airport to the hotel. But over time that no longer seemed important.

I don't know if you caught it above but the respawn is triggered by distance...not time. The whole world map is actually structured that way. There are one or two safe houses you must liberate and sometimes there would be only two guys there and after you killed them the house would remain locked. I finally figured out it is because there are really three guys there but for some reason the third guy was not visible to kill. So to try and fix this I drove some distance away and returned only to find the two dead guys, then I drove even further away and discovered I was crossing a map section. When I returned, three new guys were at the safehouse. That's how the respawning takes place...by crossing into a new section of the overall map.

At another checkpoint you would sometimes encounter a sniper, except he would be inside a big boulder (game glitch) and you could not kill him. When I ran into this I would just restart an earlier save and it would clear the problem.

Anyway...it's been an good conversation here, talking about the two games. Hopefully the next installment will have elements we all like in spite of the consolitis.

4. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    yay, some gameplay discussions!

Somehow, i like how FC2 showed most of the stuffs in realtime, like looking at your map while moving. Sleep/rest option is also nice in FC2, there are times where i wanted to hunt at night (speaking of nights, i wish there are darker nights mod).

As for graphics, it looks pretty, but somehow looks a bit cartoony (compared to crysis at least) and plenty of grasses and objects just floats above the ground '__'

AI and wildlife along with the extra gameplay elements makes it better vs FC2 imo.

5. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    @ Scrapser - Have you checked out any of the different HUD mods for FC3? With a few simple mods you can have it much more similar to FC2's HUD. I'll agree that the cut scenes and boss scenes are lame(ish), but with a couple of mods the rest of the game is pretty good and at least equal to FC2 overall. *I loved FC1 and FC2 both for the record. :)

6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    And that's part of what makes FC3 awesome.

Also, Vaas.

7. HateCamel

HateCamel Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
    What i wanna know is, are the same people who complain about the respawn issue in FC2, now complain about the map being boring after you cleared it in FC3 ? I think Scrapster said it best, the game really made you work for it. You were alone, the world was very hostile and the mechanics uncompromising. You got good or you died. Malaria attack, find the freakin' pills. Car breaks down, gotta fix it. Checkpoint respawned, had to deal with it or try your luck racing through. Although i never got why people always wanted to go back the same way they came from. I think for my sensibility the game made me say just the right amount of "oh this sucks!". But not because of bad gameplay, but rather because i had to deal with stuff in order to progress. I guess that makes FC2 come almost too close to my daily routine... :nerd:

8. HamsterCrispy

HamsterCrispy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti SSC
    I think I've spent most of my time playing poker in Far Cry 3 :D

9. Donny_uk

Donny_uk Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 Classi 4095Mb
    I thought I'd fail in these poker games. I have never played poker before so I just chose the "all in" option every single time :D

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  10. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Well, mine is not pirated but sometimes the game doesn't find the save files. A reboot fixes this though.

11. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    Thank you for that suggestion. If I can get past my disappointment, perhaps I will give that a try. The only thing I have enjoyed in FC3 (but only to a point) is the challenge of taking out an outpost. Each one is unique (just like in FC2) so you have to spend some time scoping out the terrain, set up a path of entry, check for wild animals nearby you might be able to lure into the camp...things like that. All of that is something the player can actively participate in and that works for me. Where it takes a nosedive is the damn scripted takedowns when using stealth. That just kills it for me.

The fact that taking an outpost means that part of the map is essentially no longer a challenge is also disappointing for me. The game becomes increasingly tame, the more outposts you liberate. It would have been better if there were at least some patrols by the enemy making inroads into the areas where you have succeeded to keep you on your toes.

I don't like the boss levels either. They are all pure arcade type action which leaves you feeling like you are just rolling dice to complete them instead of reaping the reward of your own personal strategy and effort at solving them. The screen prompts based play just adds to this frustration. FC2 really doesn't have any boss levels...you are just presented with some challenging situations like the camp up on the mountain with the footbridge at the end of the first half of the story.

I found in FC2 that the more I played, the more "solutions" I could find to being successful. Using the camp on the mountain as an example, I would approach not from the river and cross the footbridge but instead go around and come up the backside of the mountain armed with the grenade launcher, the silenced pistol, and a PKM. I would sneak past all the guards on the way up and at the top there would be two or three guards. I would hide and listen to their conversation. When it stopped, that usually means one of them is walking away to another spot with his back to you. I would carefully peak to see where everyone left was facing and sneak over to a big boulder and hide behind it. From there I could crouch-walk over to a point where I had a vantage point to lob one of the grenades right through a window in the camp building and take out the boss. All hell would break loose at that point and while everyone is running around I would sneak as close as I could to the "backyard" of the building (maybe taking out a guard or two with a headshot using the silenced pistol), then sprint to where the hangglider is located and make my escape...usually flying over to the ledge where one of the diamond cases is found to retrieve it as well. From there I could commandeer the assault truck below the ledge and finish my escape.

The mission to retrieve the ledger with bribes to the police chief is also quite a challenge if using stealth. Very hard to get close enough to run into the building and go upstairs. But if you can manage it, you can get the ledger, take out the sniper, then run off the low roof at the back and jump into the lake and swim to freedom.

Some other things about FC2 that I liked...the guards would sometimes do exercises or go take a leak, sometimes you would find them taking a nap on the ground and could surprise them. While stealthly approaching one might notice something and say, "What's that?" and go check. You never could really tell when you were close enough to trigger that behavior so it added to the tension. These little details really enhanced the experience for me. For some reason, with all the detail found in FC3 (mainly visuals), I never felt the same thrill of the hunt so to speak except as I mentioned when I had to scope out an outpost.

There's a review on Amazon of the DVD version of the game where the writer makes a similar comment to mine that he feels shut out of being able to fully participate in what's happening in the game.

12. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
  13. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    FarCryNexus has now launched.

http://farcry.nexusmods.com/

For those that don't know what this is all about, it's a new Nexus site, dedicated to Modding and Mods alone. The Nexus is a group of sites that is best known for being the #1 place to go for mods for Skyrim and previous Elder Scrolls games, as well as a myriad of other games, each with their own respective site. Simply put, it's the best place for mods on the internet and I'm beyond delighted that FarCry(1,2,&3) has a true home for it's mods now. :D :cheers: :rock:

14. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Thanks, just got the camera without those little squares.

15. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    http://farcry.nexusmods.com/mods/15

Swartz Mod Compilation for FC3 - this should be of interest to allot of you here. It appears to address many of the issues that most of us had/have with FC3 as well as adding some nice stuff but not being a total "hardcore realism" mod. Check it out.

16. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    Nice :banana:
    I'll try that after finishing the game later. Thanks Elder III :)

17. max883

max883 Banned

GPU:
    Asus 780Ti SLi
    New nvidia driver 310.90 and far cry 3 is runing smooth :)

18. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    a bit late to the party i know but only just started playing.

is this a beast to run? i started off with pretty much standard settings and game was running ok. now i fiddled with something am struggling to get 40fps..

which method is less demanding ssao/hbao/hdao etc. also is it 2 pre-rendered frames?

tbh i might put this on ice till i beef up gpu.

p.s asscreed3 runs great...which is why i find it odd. farcry3 seems on a par graphically with ass creed3, well some of the graphics I have seen in ass creed3 are pretty nice.

19. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Exactly the same 2 thing I first search when I started the game.

HBAO=Nvidia, HDAO=ATi(really hurts NVidia perf) and SSAO is the performance version of the three. About the pre-frames-2 I have it at 1 since that's what I read when I searched. Don't remember why or where I read it. Someone that knows will probably answer.

"ass creed3" lol!

Thank you Elder. Been waiting for this.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  20. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    At present my cpu is very sensitive lets say that, and this game absolutely kills performance without a cpu in peak condition, just sayin but for example if you're towards 80C while gaming it's gonna be judder central.
    moral of story is that the game eats up CPUs for breakfast, probably because with a *certain setting you can achieve zero input lag and this is what destroys the cpu, seen it before, happeed big time with bf3 and it's 64 player matches (it's a cpu buffer thing), current games need current Processors.
    *it's the pre-rendered setting.
    But sure i'm liking it again, got post processing at low for my taste.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.