Windows 8 vs Windows 7..whats the current state of gaming on the new Os?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by KingpinZero, Jan 1, 2013.

1. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    "Has played every game faster that Win 7."
    Proof or it did not happend

2. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Well since ive started this and recently switched to 8, i can safely say that AC3 with same settings got at least 10fps boost in some areas where it used to dip. Less stuttering and juddering, less prone to framedrops.
    Ive fraps'ed the same sections and theres indeed a gain.

Granted it could have been my botched win7 installation, althought it was clean, updated and with nothing running in background at all.

3. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    all games are smoother/faster with w8 even with amd gpus

all w8 gamers green and red, do not forget to use set timer resolution tool for 0.5 milliseconds...it cuts at half the dpc latency = smooth as butter :banana:

4. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    For you. Not for others. I am no liar.

5. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I don't feel obligated to test this on every possible system configuration.

You'll need to run it on your rig yourself to see if "your" results match mine, remember if your system is incorrectly configured you will have issues with any OS install.

You seem to be of the opinion that it can't be better. This would taint your opinion/results. If your looking for something wrong, you will find something wrong, because you don't like,it will affect your results.

Good luck

6. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    How did you do this if i may ask?

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  8. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    Could you name some games in particular that run smoother on Win 8?

9. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    ive used this tool quite alot during COD:BO local championships and worked like a charm. The general input lag/latency decreased dramatically so did the general smoothness of the games i played. Totally worth it.

10. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    im playing two games mainly right now since ive switched to win8, and for sure Ac3 and Most Wanted 2012 saw a general increase in perfomance. Less prone to lag and framedrops, substantial gains.
    Skyrim also fully tweaked with AO gives 55fps maxed out at 1080p; the strange thing and i swear its not a placebo is that when it drops under 60 it does feels like its still running at 60.

What i mean, and i know im half crazy and probably its a placebo, is that when games drop below the target refresh rate, the framedrop/juddering/stuttering or whatever is very very less noticiable than it did under Windows 7.

Cant explain why this happens but it does act like this. Tested a few bunches of games and i got the same results. Probably im seeing things.

11. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    that is good to hear, because that is the problem I'm looking to eliminate by upgrading to win 8, that "slightly low framerate" looking like very low framerate problem that you see in many games in win 7

12. snorge

snorge Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970 SLI
    hello caveman!

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

I've heard that from plenty of people on this forum, and that is my experience too.
    Above being obvious to me, I'm too damn lazy to do frame time benchmarks, because I would only be persuading others.
    To all unbelievers, if any, watchout for Techreport. They'll eventually do this for Nvidia :banana:

14. cloudman

cloudman Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus CU II GTX 780
    Windows 8 is cool and fast. Dual boot w7 and w8. I like em both.
    I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!

15. FireFreak111

FireFreak111 Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 660 2GB
    Well I hadn't done any timer tweaks besides trying at one point to disable HPET. TBH, Windows 7 (Which I am using now) is far smoother than 8. I have massive experience here as I have used every released version, from DP to RP and the RTM. I did love the new UI, that's not my hate. Integration, better desktop, new look, I loved it. But damnit the gaming experience was worse for me. AMD 6850 and also a Nvidia 450 at one point, with both I could notice games (ESPECIALLY BF3) were far less smooth.

My 2cents from an experienced Windows 8 user. Back on 7 with a GTX 660, I miss Windows 8 but hate it at the same time.

16. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    yup. Same thing I said before. Even though FPS are close, games are smoother in Windows 7.

17. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    I guess you mean other than stability in usb (mouserate), dpc, refresh rate, and speed in rendering frames (see recent amd/nvidia latency issues), defaul pre-rendered frames/flip size que? I could maybe come up with a few more if I gave it a couple of minutes.

18. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    relativity
    depends game runing more speed in xp
    [​IMG]

19. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    its time to let XP go. its over.

20. seronx

seronx Guest

GPU:
    Wani R7 XT
    Most of the improvements in Windows 8 game-wise is API simplification.
    DirectX 10 through DirectX 11 are all improved through the DX11.1 API.