Borderlands + ATI - oh no!?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Mr Terry Turnip, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Hi,

I have come from Nvidia, I like Borderlands (the first one) today I decided to give it a go, see how it was with ATI, I earlier asked if ATI had some sort of equivalent to FXAA, I was told to try Morphalogical or somet.

Well, problem one, that seems to yeild the same results as standard AA in Borderlands, as in, It's broken in Borderlands engine.

problem two is VSYNC, I have turned it on in CCC to find no effect at all in Borderlands.

Any suggestions? (other than buy an Nvidia card)

Thanks

EDIT: Hi, OK I solved VSYNC by turning it on in willogame.ini however I am still annoyed it did not work as normal when I turned it on in the CCC - it did just fine with Nvidia, might be just a glitch so I am not too worried, however I did have some confusing VSYNC issues just yesterday with Dead Island where CCC seemed to do nothing at all, so I dunno YET.

Anyway, turned MLAA down to 2xEQ and just had a run about, the game itself seems to run just lovely, not a stutter in sight (any break in fluidity, a serious, SERIOUS pet hate of mine) but anyway, MLAA is still unusable compared to FXAA in Borderlands.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  2. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    Have you tried D3DOverride?

3. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Goodness me, no, I already have MSI Afterburner, RadeonPro and now D3DOverride?

How many of these weird tools do I need with this card..

tbh I thought RadeonPro did FXAA however I cannot see it anywhere.

4. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    It's just an older tool that's been around for awhile. It also works standalone and with nvidia cards. It was bundled with Rivatuner the forerunner too MSI Afterburner. Last i heard, MSI didn't want it in Afterburner.

Just a little history on this subject. Unwinder, hear at guru3d, is the person that writes most of the code for MSI Afterburner, which is basically rivatuner, his earlier work.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=339115

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=354311

5. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Thanks, I found out radeonpro does have it but only in the preview version the latest beta, so I installed that, created a borderlands.exe profile, however, FXAA does nothing, no effect at all.

Yep just tried again, twice, FXAA simply will not activate in Borderlands using latest radeonpro, not sure I can even be arsed installing yet another program just to remove jaggies in Borderlands.

Pretty tiresome this.

6. Caenyss

Caenyss Active Member

GPU:
    7900 XT
    RadenPro and use SMAA, should work even better than FXAA.

7. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Just unchecked FXAA and checked SMAA instead, set quality to high.

Same effect, nothing, no effect at all

tried 3 times to get SMAA to work in Borderlands using RadeonPro and getting ZERO effect every time, getting fed up with launching Borderlands now.

8. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    Try SweetFX instead using that most of the time on my main rig and my notebook

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Just to make you better understand what you are doing:
    Level slider with "2x, 2xEQ, 4x, ..." is for standard AA and works in Override mode.
    MLAA checkbox enables Morpho postprocess. Which is similar to SMAA/FXAA in principle.

If you can't find those in RadeonPro, then uninstall it as you have old version.

There is no game which would give fluid feeling on 60Hz without motion blur. 120Hz/144Hz LCD is good investment since you already have decent HW to drive it.

And since you are new around. Here is link for latest RP:
    http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/Downloads/Preview.aspx

10. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Another progam? lol I dunno man, I think I have had enough of all these, thanks though.

Many thanks, however I do already have the latest RadeonPro, the problem is, with regards to Borderlands, nothing works, if I check FXAA I get no effect, if I check SMAA I get no effect.

It does not work.

I can force MLAA in CCC just fine though, however, that just brings the usual problems with Borderlands and AA. the problems FXAA never had.

11. hulawafu77

hulawafu77 Guest

GPU:
    7970M
    SweetFX is not a program, it's an injector. It's similar to the FXAA injector. But much better. I also use SweetFX in Borderlands 2, works great and much better than FXAA.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Just tested. Borderlands 1 works perfectly with RadeonPro FXAA/SMAA.
    And with MLAA via CCC too.

Once again, you are using incorrect CCC settings. Use:
    Mode - "Use Application Settings"
    Tick "Morphological Filtering"
    Filter - does not affect anything since "Use Application Settings" is selected.
    Slider - settings has no effect too.

13. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    I am sorr but somebody somewhere is failing to be clear on something, I just tried that and got ZERO results in Borderlands 1.

Now, lets start from scratch, I open CCC, 3D Application Settings, hit the defaults button to be sure I am from scratch, hit APPLY, then, check Morphological Filtering, hit APPLY.

Then launch Borderlands 1.

This is what I have done, it yields absolutely zero results in Borderlands 1 for me.

Latest Beta Drivers.

Honestly I need some sort of "STEP BY STEP for complete FKN IDIOTS" because I do not know what I am doing wrong.

Only thing that works fo rme, is in CCC if i select, override application settings and select for example, 4x.

The, I launch Borderlands and it looks great, apart from about 90% GPU usage and purple lines round **** in the inv. (the WELL KNOWN Borderlands AA issues - only solved by FXAA)

So...

I have launched Borderlands about 20 times today just to see clap trap laying on his ass covered in jaggies, it's one too many times than I can take.

I cannot find an apply button on radeonpro.

either.

14. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Nah, this is BS, it just does not work.

EDIT: Holy Crap.. IT WORKS! lol it was kinda not my fault and kinda my fault at the same time as I should have tried this earlier.

I uninstalled radeonpro, deleted the folder, then reinstalled it.

SMAA WORKS A TREAT! lol SWEEEEEET

MANY THANKS GUYS!

15. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Had a good run round Borderlands inc some Zombie Island - so far I am thrilled with it.

Dunno what was going wrong earlier on however least it's sorted now,

many thanks again.

16. MrBucket

MrBucket Guest

GPU:
    2 Gigabyte 7970 Crossfire
    Hrm going to have to try some of this stuff.

17. Valagard

Valagard Guest

You're using it wrong is why

You are supposed to turn off -ALL- in game AA, along with all AA settings and just turn on morphological AA, which is why you are having performance problems

If you have 2xEQ AA and Morphological AA on at the same time, you are actually applying AA twice to your game, which is a huge performance waste

Morphological works in any game I apply it even, even flash games that use Direct X calls, if its not working for you I dunno what you are doing wrong, could have driver corruption or not installed properly

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
  18. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    You have a 7970 now no need for crappy fxaa you can prolly use ssaa or atleast amsaa. Ssaa is beautiful with edge detect enabled.

19. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    you proboly ignored the dll lock on the last install, if you have a browser open, the hook engine locks one of the files it needs.