Just bought a new Video card, not working with my PC

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by fdsdfg, Jan 4, 2013.

1. fdsdfg

fdsdfg Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Motherboard: Intel DX58SO
    CPU: Intel i7 Quad core 2.66 ghz
    Memory: 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600

I just bought an NVIDIA GTX 660 TI video card to replace my ATI cards that were giving me too many driver issues.

I popped it in, and got two long beeps - video card not found. I replaced it with my friend's spare GTX 470 and it booted up fine.

I checked the requirements of the GTX 660 TI and noticed it required a 500w power supply with 30 amps minimum on 12V. My PSU (Rosewill Bronze 750watt) was listed as having 18 amps on 12V.

So I switched my PSU for a spare one a friend had which listed 69 amps on 12V. The model is a Thermaltake TR2 RX 850watt. I connect everything up, and I still get the two long beeps - no video card found.

I switch my video card back with the GTX 470 and it works fine.

I try my new GTX 660 ti in my friend's PC and it works fine.

===

So to summarize,

• New card works in friend's PC
    • Old card works in my PC
    • New card does not work in my PC

It seems the GTX 660 TI is incompatible with my PC, but I can't understand what it could be. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    try updating your mb bios to the latest

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    So far you have gathered it's most likely NOT psu.

Since your new 660 Ti is the most suspecting piece of HW,
    why not simply plug it in your friend's PC?

If it's working - HURRAY your new card is likely fine, time to dig deeper into your PC.
    If it's not working, that's 2/2 - send it back.

4. fdsdfg

fdsdfg Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    I will try this. I also should reset my bios to default settings, as I may have set something in an attempt to optimize that would interfere with it.

I did try this - I mentioned it briefly in my OP. It works fine in his PC and boots without issues. It's just the 'dig deeper' part I am having trouble with.

5. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    This may sound silly, but ...

1) Have tried other pci-e 16 x slots?

2) Have you made sure both 6 pin power connectors are secure on the card?

6. fdsdfg

fdsdfg Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Nothing basic is silly when troubleshooting of course

1) Yeah, I have two pci-e slots and I've tried both. The old (working) card I've only tried in the primary, but the non-working one doesn't work in either.

Also, I should mention that the card requires 16x and my motherboard supports it.

2) Yeah, I am quite sure. In fact my PSU has two 6-pin connectors on the main line, and two modular ones. Either the main-line or modular connectors work on the 470, but neither one works with the 660ti.

Thanks for the help

==

I also updated the BIOS to the latest and reset all settings to default, still doesn't work.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  8. fdsdfg

fdsdfg Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    If it were either of those things though, my old video card would not work.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Dunno man just throwing a bone, discharged BIOS battery can make sys act weirdly, and RAM issues are some of the trickiest to spot.

And Intel's BIOS codes are not making much sense atm

10. fdsdfg

fdsdfg Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    The two-beep bios code I've seen with bad video cards, but never a known-good one.

I will try running memtest, but I have never heard of the mobo battery doing anything like this.

11. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    3 random spelled named accounts your arent the same by chance are u....all created today

fdsdfg and asdfasdf and nskajhd all created today...

12. hashboyuk

hashboyuk Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 660 sc
    it wouldnt happen to be an EVGA would it, ive had a bad 66oti sc got it RMAed and got aanother faulty one as a replacement, they are having a lot of issues at EVGA eith the 660 family of cards.

13. fdsdfg

fdsdfg Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    I can't speak to the others, but fdsdfg has been my username for a while. Google it and you can see some of my starcraft 2 presence.

It's an MSI, but the card is good - it works fine in my friend's PC.

14. Slippery

Slippery Guest

GPU:
    EVGA/1080 GTX ACX3
    Just thinking out loud. I did not see mentioned just how you prepared your machine and operating system for the change. Coming from ATI to Nvidia without making sure of a clean uninstall and cleanup has caused this problem before.
    You need to make sure there is no reference to ATI cards in device mangler (check -show hidden devices)Look in control panel, add remove programs for anything ATI. And do a reg check, or use something like ccleaner or auslogic to check your registry. After that do a clean install of the Nvidia drivers.
    The real bad news may be that you will need to reinstall the OS. Good luck, keep us updated.:nerd:

15. fdsdfg

fdsdfg Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Wouldn't this be the proper steps if my OS were rejecting the card or refusing to boot?

Right now I'm getting nothing output to the monitor, and my motherboard doesn't detect a video card. Even with all of my hard drives unplugged, the old card works and the new card doesn't work.

Also, I did a clean sweep of anything ATI when I went from the ATI cards to the GTX470 as a temporary step. That went smoothly, but going from the 470 to 660TI is giving me problems.

16. Cry

Cry Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080TI SeaHawk
    Does your friends PC have a dedicated gfx card which you can try in yours? If so is it a different model etc?

17. fdsdfg

fdsdfg Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    I'm not sure what you mean. I already have another NVIDIA card that works in my PC. It's just that my new one doesn't.

18. Cry

Cry Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080TI SeaHawk
    sorry, I mis-read your first post! Too much beer lol!

Not sure what to suggest, seem's you have tried all options... I can only see it been the MB not accepting the new graphics card which is very strange!

19. keromyaou

keromyaou Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080 XC3 Ul
    I don't have this motherboard. However the feedback in Newegg site for this board is very interesting and informative, I think (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121361).

One guy made a comment like 'Many people blame these board on Dead screen it cuz failure set up on BIOS, like update for system hardware not require do so, These board 's BIOS update do have some stability issue, For my advise: any I-7 960 or below use BIOS 4121, (which I tested right here working stable).Any I-970 or higher use BIOS 5020 which defined as only stable version so far. (have't test)'.

As someone pointed out, BIOS might be a cause of the problem. But if you believe this guy's suggestion, the updating BIOS to the latest one might not be a solution. Good luck!!!

20. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yah we've had some problems with some Intel boards at work... I don't remember which model it was but we had a handful of systems that just flat out wouldn't work with some video cards. Tried updating to the latest BIOS but still had problems.

We had to return the video card and get a different model to get it working.
    I think some of the boards have incompatiblity with the BIOS or something?