Windows 8 vs Windows 7..whats the current state of gaming on the new Os?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by KingpinZero, Jan 1, 2013.

1. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    windows 8 is a waste of time and if there isn't any gaming performance difference compared to windows 7, like vista from xp or win7 from vista there is no point in using windows 8, not to mention the freaking ugly menu design. Stick with windows 7 and hope windows 9 is completely different from windows 7.

2. Iruwen

Iruwen Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    If the frametimes vary, smoothness can be dramatically different.

3. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN... Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7850 OC 2GB
    Thank you, I can assure that guy that it is not a placebo. It's something very tangible after multiple installs and reinstalls testing!!

4. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Yeah this should be the only logical thing to do. Problem is that i have tons of games that i havent even started or completed ( almost 400gb worth of things collected in the years and new releases not to mention steam. .) so i want to avoid the usual backup of data and registry entries and keys if its not worth it.
    I was thinking to do an upgrade but i never had positive experiences with windows upgrade functionality.
    Dunno what to do, i want to stay upgraded with the newer os but 7 feels right for me right now. I was planning to do a format anyway since im running my os off an ssd that was previously installed in my former laptop, and i used it directly on my new desktop since it was a fresh install anyway...
    Thanks to everyone tho, i have the idea much clear now.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Speaking of DeusEX HR

some newer drivers have frames to render ahead issue, it stutters really bad (camera jitter) with 1,2,3 but for some reason super smooth with automatic frames to render ahead. This is with vsync on+triple buffer on.

Also regarding win7 vs win8, some games run smoother then others, it depends.
    For example L4D2 runs worse in win8, i have to use MSI afterburner frame limiter @ 60fps to eliminate this werid framerate jitter. Its ok in win7 without fps cap (except for higher mouse lag), also nvcpl inspector limiter is really bad, its like night and day compared to MSI afterburner build-in limiter.

Bf3 can run smoother but again i have to change engine frame to render ahead so its better. It was ok at 2 but in win7 in win8 i have to use 1 or default -1 to get the same smoothness.

Another example RE5 dx10 build-in benchmark, i lost 5-10fps compared to windows 7, but again depends on the driver, its ok in dx9, it use to be ok in dx10 too, but something happened with latest drivers 30x.xx+ and its not the same anymore. Dx9 has the same fps like older 29x.xx drivers.

6. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    Win 9 = win8sp1 aka Windows Blue

7. H-Ackermans

H-Ackermans Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX550Ti
    And that is complete bull****, or at the very least, a lot of nonsense.

Nothing is known about WHAT Windows Blue actually is.

On topic: I can only suggest on basis of my own experience that Windows 8 is on par with or better than Windows 7. I loved Windows 7 and Windows 8 only further built on that basis.

The startscreen might be a bit of a getting used to situation, but it is actually very clever, if you can get passed the, mostly not based on (long enough) user-experience, criticism and outright hatred.

Windows 8 boots like a rocket on my PC, which is a big plus. Re-booting now after an install of drivers or software doesn't give me the time to get a drink anymore :)

8. Iruwen

Iruwen Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Windows 8 is far superior under the hood, period. I'm usually working or playing with my computer, not staring at the start menu, so if you reduce Windows 8 to Modern UI, well... you'll probably be stuck with Windows 7 or Classic Shell forever because I doubt they'll ever reintroduce the start menu (and I hope so). They should just clean up a bit, e.g. make hotkeys more consistent and such.

9. pstlouis

pstlouis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Aorus Xt
    All my steam game run properly and loading time is faster and same has J.Barry.
    running win8 pro x64 on main desktop no issues quicker than win7.
    :banana:

10. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    Microsoft doesn't care about gamers, aside from a newer version of directx, with which they try to force you to upgrade, each new OS doesn't offer any gaming performance improvements , compare apples to apples ; DX 9 gaming performance in XP, Vista, and win 7, its all the same.

11. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Gaming is fine on Win8. Install it and get Classic Shell or buy Stardock Start8 ($5 only, but if you get trial they will give you a 10% off code). Metro UI is BS, everyone will agree, so just use these and don't use Metro ever.

12. Kexzey

Kexzey Guest

GPU:
    XFX GeForce GTX295
    I've gone from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and no problems and good performance, I'd give the all clear, but thats just my opinion. Windows 7 is fine for quite a while longer, until it's necessary to upgrade to Windows 8.

13. Kexzey

Kexzey Guest

GPU:
    XFX GeForce GTX295
    I've got two dosbox games:

-Tomb Raider
    &
    -Worms

Tomb Raider runs fine, normal frame rates and all is good. :)
    Worms runs terribly, recieve horrible frame rates unless in windowed mode (and at 1920 x 1080, worms is quite hard to play when it's such a small resolution/window).

Not sure if this is any help but I thought I'd post my Windows 8 dosbox experiences.

14. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    I just dont understand why some people hate win8 so much.
    Im using win8x64 pro for a couple months now.
    Its pretty much the same thing as win7 but improved, maybe its the new fullscreen starmenu, some ppl just panic when they see it. Meh.

Q&A
    Its really necessary to update to win8 at the moment?
    Not really win7 will do fine.

Its stable, fast and great for gaming?
    yes, like win7 or sometimes even better

And the new metro apps?
    Just ignore them for now, just a handfull is usefull for a desktop/laptop and others probably usefull for tablets/wtv/surface. still a little green imho.

Overall its pretty much the same.

15. Iruwen

Iruwen Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    If the OS isn't broken, what should they do, perform magic so your hardware works faster? This is totally up to the game and driver developers.

Don't over-simplify this, I don't agree. Most people bashing Modern UI probably never actually worked with it for more than ten minutes, if at all.

16. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    That's an opinion I love Windows 8, but despise Metro UI in a desktop rig. It's fine for what it's made for, being touchscreens. Modern UI = typing everything? So much easier to point and click. Feels a step back to me, especially on a desktop.

17. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    Some Games for Windows (you know windows ap instead of steam) game dont work kinda laughed when i found that out the hard way when i was testing even some of the newer games like Dark Souls might be fixed now but I whiped 8 off this rig anyways

18. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    if you are a serious, pro gamer person, you will not install windows 8 until windows 8 exclusive games or dx11.1 games pop up...

not even windows 9 will bother you if are based on windows 8.

windows 8 are weak for gaming, period..desktop will never be a laptop/tablet.

19. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Warlord has as point. What's the point in upgrading from 7 64 unless there are real benefits, like a new directx. All you'd get currently is increased incompatibility.

I'll at least be waiting for a service pack or longer.

20. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Thats good, thanks for your input :)

This is what im afraid off. I have quite a good library of gog games running off dosbox. Screamer 1, Screamer 2, Carmageddon and others...if dosbox doesnt work correctly (and its one of the most optimized emulators out there) i dont expect other emulators to work decently, specially those that havent been updated in ages that with some caveats works under win7x64.
    This rig is for gaming only, and also is an arcade machine. Installing an OS that is not capable to make things works as win7 will force me to downgrade again meaning i will loose alot of time. I work for 12 hours a day 7/7 so time is imperative. Thanks for your input.

This is a big letdown. I have many GFWL games like Dirt 2 and 3, Dark Souls and others. I cant believe they dont work since i play them alot. Is there a list of games that arent working? I cant imagine to not being able to play Street Fighter games online :(

I understand his and your point perfectly, thats why i thought to ask for real use experience. Im fine with Win7 x64 althought i may need a format soon. As i explained since im going to do it i was on the verge to upgrade the OS directly but alot of issues are arising and this is not good. I could understand emulators not working as its intended since its not a professional work, but GFWL games? Hell.

What keeps me returning to the idea is the metro ui that alot of users hate. For the time i played with it on a new laptop i had in warranty i liked it because its heavily customizable and is really fast. Coming from tablets (i use them all the day) its a welcome addition.

Thanks everyone :)