Windows 8 vs Windows 7..whats the current state of gaming on the new Os?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by KingpinZero, Jan 1, 2013.

1. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Hi guys, im still running 7, but im thrilled to switch to 8.
    Ive posted this in the nvidia section since i mostly game on my pc-nvidia powered, so i want to know whats the current state of nvidia drivers and general stability/perfomance before making the jump.
    In particular, since the informations are very sparse around, i would like to know a small recap of the questions below from some users that are already running 8 as their main os:

[General questions]
    - General nvidia drivers stability
    - Oc performance and behaviour (if that helps im running my gpu at +100/+300 without overvolt and other things, just custom fan curve)
    - Cpu OC (by bios, 4,6ghz on air) stability
    - General gaming performance compared to 7 (slow/same/better than it, like Vista vs 7 in the past)

[Misc questions]
    - Administrator/Ownerships issues if any
    - Compatibility with FXAA/SMAA injectors since i use them for a few games (skyrim with enb as an example)
    - Emulators compatibility if anyone use them like Dolphin,PCSX2,Mame
    - Compatibility with DosBox or old windows games

So far i understand that 8 compatibility and general handling of most softwares is similar if not the same as 7 so shouldnt be a problem. Regardless ive seen people reporting stability issues, or a total incompatibility with some emulators or games that works fine on 7.

Thanks in advance to all and happy new year :)

2. swecarl

swecarl Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780ti Sli
  3. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Thanks, i was reading it while you posted. But im looking for some real users experience since i saw alot of gurus posting in drivers thread about win8.

4. CDJay

CDJay Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE SLI
    I'm running 8 on my HTPC, zero issues to report.

5. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    h t t p://b e n chmark3d.com/windows-7-vs-windows-8-rtm-gaming-performance/2

6. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    as I thought mobile phone not OS. Win7x64 FTW!!!

7. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Thanks all for the replies :) Im not convinced that jumping to 8 is a good move right now...maybe it needs some more time like Vista needed with SP2.
    Theres too much degradation here and there about performance...

8. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    running win8 pro x64 on main desktop no issues quicker than win7
    running win8 pro x64 on dell laptop no issues (dell say laptop not supported latitude D630) runs better than win7 and vista
    running win8 pro x86 on HP laptop runs better than win7 and vista(hp says vista only no drivers for win7 using vista display driver)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  9. snorge

snorge Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970 SLI
    I would say about the same or a slight boost in certain situations on Windows 8. One really noticeable thing for me is the loading times being faster.

10. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Maybe it helps if you understand a lot of gurus arent gurus.

11. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    I hated 8 when it was first released but I gave it another shot a couple of weeks ago and I'm very pleased i did so. While i do not really notice an fps gain it handles drops below 60 fps far better than w7. On w7 drops to 55fps were unbearable whereas 8 is silk even in the 30s and 40s. Also noticed that D3 is actually playable off of my mechanical hdd whereas on w7 i had to run it off the ssd to attain any kind of smoothness. Other than metro, which i never really see, it is an upgrade all around. No idea on emulators or injectors tho as I've never used them

12. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Yeah yeah i know. Everytime is the same thing, isnt it :) Im a pc builder/technician in my 22th year but work has been taking alot of time lately so i kinda missed the whole 8 bandwagon. But compared to 7 and vista this time ive seen too much issues reported so thats why i asked lol. Thanks anyway you're perfectly right.

Thanks alot. Ive been reading of peoples with the same impressions as you, probably due to the new graphic subsystem which should boost a bit the performance in some instances. Granted my games runs all above 60fps except for a few games, but im still looking for infos on how it handles emulators and if theres any problem with them.
    Im kinda scared of the old GoG games, since i have quite alot. Im afraid they will not run proprely since most of them are running on dosbox.

13. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I been experimenting with dosbox, it acts slowish......and some bugs, for me at lest it did.

14. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    I see, thanks for reporting it.

15. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    good topic.. Im wondering the same thing as well.. performance is the same as far as I searched... but dont know about the stability.

16. beppe_7

beppe_7 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    people call it a mobile OS its not a mobile os. its a mobile interface yes. but its windows 7 tweaked to hell. I have zero complaints. it boots up in 3 seconds with super fast boot. very stable while gaming. as long as you use updated drivers. cough cough NVidia.

at first months ago with pre release I was very overwhelmed with the interface. stuck with it. now I prefer it. I spend most my time in desktop anyway. pin any programs I need. switch boom click done.

17. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    zero issues with any game or program works perfect faster than 7 for me

18. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    @ KingpinZero

Why not go with a "dual boot" situation and see for yourself?

19. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN... Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7850 OC 2GB
    I'm on Windows 8 Pro. On Windows 7 x64 I had to disable DX11 Multithreading in the registry on Deus Ex HR to stop it stuttering, in windows 8 I don't have to and I get 30fps more in some situations. This is on the same 310.70 drivers!!

I have also noticed smoother gaming as well below 60fps compared to Windows 7.

To top it all of, I actually like metro and some of the apps are great.

All round I'm now loving Windows 8 and have not tweaked it at all. :)

20. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Gaming isn't going to appear smoother at the same FPS, that's placebo.

Overall Windows 8 is roughly the same speed at W7 when it comes to rendering. Sometimes a few percent better, sometimes a few percent worse.

There's no reason to switch, if you're just in it for the games.

But then at 15 dollars, there's no reason not to either.