Launch Of Intel Haswell Reportedly Delayed Till June

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 28, 2012.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    New security features are being added to Haswell along with other drastic changes. Broadwell will use the same socket as Haswell and will supposedly gain DDR4 support.....

You can't keep adding support for new features and hardware....without changing the socket. Intel isn't changing sockets just for the sake of changing sockets. You're gaining something in return.

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    What AMD really needs is to completely redesign their memory controller, it's rather lacking when comparing to the throughput that the Intel CPUs are pumping out.

HT 3.1 is still rather fast for the older style NB/SB configuration, but AMD needs to update their own interface to use 32-bit links instead of the current 16-bit links. At full bandwidth, HT 3.1 is rated for 51.2 GB/s. I fail to see why AMD doesn't do this for their CPUs. This configuration would provide more bandwidth than Intel's QuickPath Interconnect (QPI) used in the LGA2011 motherboards (up to 25.6 GB/s).

LGA2011 motherboards have the PCIe controller in the NB like the older design since they were mainly built for servers which requires multi-socket approach, which makes sense with the traditional NB/SB design. If Intel's design can power 4 PCIe x16 2.1, I fail to see why an AMD system at full HT bandwidth can't do the same, hell it should be able to feed PCIe x16 3.0 lanes at that bandwidth (in theory)...

deltatux

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    They realistically need to look at incorporating the NB into the CPU die itself, even if it's some kind of internal HT, I'm sure it'd make things easier in the long run for them (says me running an X58 chip XD).

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I was referring to the socket that will replace 2011 not the next 2011 processor.

5. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well... on one hand we can dislike Intel for changing sockets over and over again, but... quite a few of us over here still have LGA1366/X58 and don't really mind replacing system as a whole in the future. To be honest, the current gamer systems are so fast you don't really need to change CPU. I even change my system when my brother wants a better one - I give him my old rig and buy myself something new. He's on Q6600 @ 3.5 right now and it seems like we'll upgrade even after Haswell.

6. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    That's going to be one long wait! I don't think IB-E is due until Q4 of 2013 so I wouldn't be surprised to see an extreme edition of Haswell for at least a year after that.

Since your running SB waiting might not be to bad, anything older and I'd suggest upgrade sooner.

Any reason you want the extreme version? By the time Haswell-E arrives Broadwell will no doubt be available.

7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I'm on OLD i5 750 @ 4.0 Ghz (working steady for over 2 years now ) .
    ANd still there isnt single game that would use its power. Why upgrade then ?

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The problem is, AMD wants to maintain backwards compatibility....which means the improvements they desperately need, aren't really possible.

9. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    Same here I built mine in 2010... next major CPU and Mobo upgrade will be in 2014-2015 if i see the need to. So far there is ZERO need specially after i got my GTX 670 and Intel 240GB SSD 335, im maxing out all games so far so wtv.

Plus were in a double-dip recession, currently im cutting on useless non-necessary stuff :p anyways, no PC updates for the next 2 years from my end.. unless $$$ wise their is improvement in the economy.. but everything is currently expensive, prices of food and cost of living is increasing, PC Parts and Optical drives are increasing in prices, Intel CPU prices i wont go there .. were screwed :bang:

10. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    i had i5 760 @4.2 /4.4ghz, then got i5 2500k @4.5ghz which made gaming more 'snappier', then my current i5 3570k which lets you run ram at uber speeds so yeah, just sayin'.

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I don't see the need to upgrade for another 2 years anyways. The reason I want an extreme edition socket and chip is purely I want to I won't need it at all but by then it should be quad channel DDR4 and maybe a 8-core with HT. Just want it no other reason (do I need one).

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah I was gonna wait for IB-e 8core, but after I saw all that juicy info about Haswell (at Anadtech) I really want Haswell-E 8core.. Its still a looong way though, apparenlty some time in 2014.

I guess i'll just get me a fresh I7 4770K 4core (8threads) Haswell for now.

Althought Haswell-E is still DDR3, DDR4 is apparnelty for server version.

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    They could technically do what they did with the AM2+/AM3 transition. Instead of changing between different memory technologies, they can do it between HT revisions. It is theoretically feasible that the new CPU can be both 16-bit and 32-bit HT capable. It will just enable 32-bit when it is sitting in a compatible socket and then go 16-bit when it sits in an older socket.

I'm sure the people at AMD could pull it off unless there's something that absolutely impedes them from doing that and maintain backward compatibility...

deltatux

14. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Isn't there going to be a 4570K? Does that mean that only the top model will have an unlocked multiplier?

EDIT: Sorry, my bad. Didn't see that there's going to be an i5 4670K :(

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  15. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    snappier ? Not enough id say :p

16. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Yes the sandy i'd say 'snappy', whereas the ivy i'd describe it like 'liquid mercury'. :p