What happens underground when a gas pocket depletes?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Jw_Leonhart, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    I was just watching a documentary on natural gas wells and the insane amount of drilling going on and the contamination it's producing to the water and such. But in any case, I was googling and couldn't seem to find an answer on this.

As everyone knows we pull so much oil and gas out of the ground everyday... with the amount me we pull out there must be huge oceans of the crap underground, at least my assumption....

What exactly happens when a well depletes? There has to be a hole underground? Does it ever cave in? I would think something must happen, that hole has got to fill in down there right?

With the pictures they show even though its in spots here or there, they are extracting alot of liquid/gas out of the ground.. at some point something has to happen right? :bang:

2. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    yea a black hole appears and we all get sucked in

3. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    The quantities removed are minuscule when compared to the actual thickness of the Earths crust.

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Fill it in with cement maybe?

5. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
  6. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
  7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Oil and stuff like that doesn't pool, it's not like a giant opening, think of it more like a sponge. It sits in the crevasses of rock. Water generally fills the remainder when you pump. When people say a oil well is "dry" it doesn't mean it's actually dry, it means that you're extracting more water than actual usable product.

8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    look up fracking, i think thats what its called.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Fracking is different. Fracking is a method of extracting more oil by increasing pressure on various areas of reservoir rock in order to form cracks/channels. So if we go back to the sponge analogy, think of it as creating a tunnel in the sponge in order to get the oil on one side to flow to the other. You do this because your pump is on the other side.

10. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I worked in the field and have been on site both when wells are drilled and again when filled in (capped). An oil well may go 100% dry, but in most formations (layers of the earth's crust that have differing amounts of oil, natural gas, among other things) they never do go 100% dry. As was mentioned above, they fill in with water... salty water. In fact the majority of oil wells in the Midwest and Eastern US produce both oil, natural gas, and salt water (brine) which all needs to be separated and dealt with individually. When someone in the industry says "that well went dry" they likely mean that it reached the point where the ratio of water to oil was so bad that it wasn't wise financially to keep running it. There are various methods that can be used to try to increase that oil ratio again, but if nothing works or it's too expensive - the well will be capped with (allot) of concrete.

*that's a vary abbreviated version, but that is usually the end result. :)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012

11. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
  12. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    Yeah it just caves in but slowly, when the pressure of the gas pocket decreases, the earth fills up the hole, and then that earth over years based on what it is there, can develop also oil or coal or gas again

13. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    They fill it with water.
    Didn't you pay attention in chemistry class :D

14. iako

iako Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 LIGHTNING
  15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    OP ever heard of caves? BTW isn't this an oil thread in before lock.

16. RedSeptember

RedSeptember Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 690 4gb
    To answer your question. Whenever that happens to me I usually get a really rude stare from someone. Not my fault :( it has to deplete at some point in the day!

17. Nchinmay

Nchinmay Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G
    Earth is done farting :D