Onboard sound vs nvidia audio HDMI problem

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by mw8t, Dec 21, 2012.

1. mw8t

mw8t Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti 2GB SC
    Ok so I have Realtek sound on the motherboard and also nVidia audio courtesy of the GTX660Ti.

My TV is connected to the graphics card through HDMI but I want to use the onboard sound and not the NVidia audio.

I have no other audio connections or equipment, just my TV.

I get the Realtek sound when connected to the HDMI on the motherboard but this is obviously no good.

How do I do this? Using the NVidia sound renders my front panel useless.

2. mw8t

mw8t Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti 2GB SC
    Can anyone help with this?

I have noticed there is an optical sp/dif output on the mobo and I have one on my tv. Will I have to use this and disable the hdmi audio chip on my the gfx card?

An inelegant 2 cable solution. Is this my only option?

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    You won't be able to send the onboard through the HDMI if that is what you are asking.
    So if you want to use the onboard, you will have to use more than one cable.

4. mw8t

mw8t Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti 2GB SC
    Yep that's precisely what I'm asking. Well that's a bit **** isn't it.

So if I use the optical cable will this be able to pass all the relevant Blu-ray formats? I know it's just to my tv but if I upgrade to a receiver later on?

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    nope, optical is quite limited in terms of what formats it can pass through. bluray is often too high quality to pass through lossless audio through an optical cable.

and depends on what kind of speakers you already have hooked up to the tv. if its the speakers that are integrated into the TV, theyre generally not rated at a high enough SNR for you to notice the difference between your surpreme fx sound card and the integrated nvidia card.

as for receivers, it depends on what receiver you use. if youre using a receiver via hdmi, then its running passthrough audio anyway and just relies on your receiver's DAC to handle all the audio decoding, so your sound card would be nullified anyway. the only time your sound card would come into play with a receiver is if the receiver supports full analog input.

im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.

6. mw8t

mw8t Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti 2GB SC
    My future setup would be video from the gfx card and it looks like onboard audio via spdif optical to a receiver. I don't want to faf about with 2 audio chips, I just want to use 1 and seeing as the front panel is connected to the onboard I want to use the onboard.

7. mw8t

mw8t Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti 2GB SC
    Seems to be a lot of jealousy on this forum. Snidey little nerd ****s :D

Delete my account

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Huh? Someone pissed in your Christmas porridge or what?

If you want to use your front panel, just disable HDMI audio when you want to do that or select correct sound device from your media player.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012